immariner
April 12, 2015, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from diehardmariner

The effort it took to get ourselves back into contention has, in my eyes, proved our undoing in recent weeks.  The players look absolutely copulated - as they should be after that massive turnaround in fortunes.  Some will argue that we left it too late to mount a challenge, others will say the table doesn't really lie at this stage.  I'm inclined to agree with both.

Have to say I disagree with that on a purely physiological basis. At this stage of the season the players who have had a run of games should be somewhere around their peak, 5 of whom had a week's rest, 6 of whom had 5 days' rest. More than enough time to recover from a match. Also, I don't really know if our turnaround in fortune cost that much more in effort, just better application with confidence.

And it wasn't too late to challenge. Look at Mansfield's and Kidderminster's runs last year. Problem was we didn't keep winning.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
rancido
April 12, 2015, 4:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from chaos33
Ooh Barra, the splitting of hairs. What fun.
You know exactly the point I'm making - a team who were confident and competent at home, with season-long results to back that up would be relishing that home game, with a big crowd in to support them. Our players would appear to not really know what they're doing more often than not at home, or if they do, they seem unable to reproduce that away form in terms of individual and collective performances. As I have stated - I'm not blaming them anyway. It's something in the way the Manager is preparing, organising, coaching them (call it a combination of all of those) that has seen us fail to function consistently as an attacking unit at home.

A good performance against Aldershot will go some way to restoring confidence, but I suspect that the players are all too aware of their difficulties in many home games and that doesn't really breed confidence does it. I'm sure the fans will keep on 'giving it a go' as they allways do - giving the team another chance, hoping to see their faith rewarded with a real 'up and at 'em' performance, but in the back of our minds, we all know that when it really counts, and when we're all packed in at BP, what we tend to see is the opposite of that.

So you would rather blame poor INDIVIDUAL performances on the Manager and not the player! It has been apparent for some time that you don't want PH as manager but to blame him for a players inability to do the basics , these basics that should be second nature to them at this stage of their careers, is totally ludicrous. If PH has the formation  or the tactics wrong then that is a fair criticism. But surely it is only right to also criticise a player who gets things wrong as well. Too many performances yesterday were below par and that is down to the players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
chaos33
April 12, 2015, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
I think you should read the entire thread and understand what is being said before you dismiss. Why do the players have so mnay 'one off' below par performances at home that they don't have away?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 113
rancido
April 12, 2015, 4:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93
[quote=3898]I think you should read the entire thread and understand what is being said before you dismiss. Why do the players have so mnay 'one off' below par performances at home that they don't have away?[/quote]

I wish I knew and I would imagine PH does as well! Do you know. All we can do is speculate why but it's too easy to blame the manager for something that he can't control.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 113
chaos33
April 12, 2015, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Look I know what you're saying but this is one of my points. You don't have the answer and neither do I - we don't prepare, coach and organise the team. Hurst does. A few below par performances or individual or collective off days are to be expected as part and parcel of a normal season, but to lose seven at home, and to only win 50% of the home games, usually against average to poor opposition?? The answers are in there somewhere, and only the coaching staff and the players can find them. They must find them.

For an entire game against Wrexham and about half a game against Gateshead our players didn't seem motivated, focused, confident, attack-orientated enough. These were key promotion games! It's all too easy to just dismissively blame the players, but in recent weeks the vast majority on here have been posting that we have the best squad in the division!

I'm confused and I don't know what to believe!  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
grimsby pete
April 12, 2015, 5:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The other thing about our failure to perform at home is,

How much is it costing in monetary terms,

Every time we get 4,000+ gates the team do not perform,

The next game its back to the normal 3,300 -  3,500,

If we had beaten Gateshead in front of the 6,000,

There would have been 7,000 for the Wrexham match,

It all adds up and Mr Fenty should be looking at this at the end of the season,

If we are not promoted, there must be a change in tactics  for home games next season,

Can Hurst learn from this season mistakes or do we have to look elsewhere.?

I hope we do go up obviously and think clubs in L2 will come to attack us,

They will not come and park the bus which will be to our advantage.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 113
Grimal
April 12, 2015, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
I've just thought of the perfect solution,we are all bricking it regarding our home leg in the playoffs, well ! how about we sabotage BP in some way that the home tie has to be played at a different venue,say Alfreton for instance as we always play well there and the team wouldn't be overwhelmed by a massive crowd.   UTM. we can do it,league 2 awaits us this August..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
ginnywings
April 12, 2015, 7:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
What we do emphatically know is that we threw away 2 points at Chester and that is squarely down to the manager, no question. We then take one point from 2 middle of the table, going nowhere teams at home. Right there is seven lost points and being top of the table with 2 games left. It was there for the taking and we couldn't get up for it in the last 2 home games.

On the other hand, we have emphatically beaten and outplayed the league leaders twice, proving to me that we are a better side than they are, yet we struggle to dispatch some very mediocre sides at home with the ease that Barnet seem to (mostly) manage to do.

If we can play as poorly as we did against Wrexham and for half a game against Gateshead, why are people so positive that we will win the play offs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
barralad
April 12, 2015, 8:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings
What we do emphatically know is that we threw away 2 points at Chester and that is squarely down to the manager, no question. We then take one point from 2 middle of the table, going nowhere teams at home. Right there is seven lost points and being top of the table with 2 games left. It was there for the taking and we couldn't get up for it in the last 2 home games.

On the other hand, we have emphatically beaten and outplayed the league leaders twice, proving to me that we are a better side than they are, yet we struggle to dispatch some very mediocre sides at home with the ease that Barnet seem to (mostly) manage to do.

If we can play as poorly as we did against Wrexham and for half a game against Gateshead, why are people so positive that we will win the play offs?

Oooh controversial......

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
ginnywings
April 12, 2015, 8:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from barralad

Oooh controversial......

He made a mistake, whether he admits it or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.