12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Jaws
April 11, 2015, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Normally wouldn't be fussed as an undefeated run never lasts forever but it seems like we only lose because the players can't be arsed. I can't remember too many defeats where we've been outplayed in the past season or two.

Even if we'd won today, losing 6 (now 7) games at home isn't the form of champions. Interestingly, we're well above last seasons points total.

Some of the problem today seemed to be that Palmer and LJL couldn't use their power/weight advantage without giving away a free-kick, whilst attacking. The Wrexham players went down too easy and the ref wasn't good enough to realise.

Onto the playoffs - anyone reckon getting a trust membership will get me tickets home/away I'm working the Aldershot game (and the playoff final  ) and can get neither off.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 113
oldun
April 11, 2015, 5:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It was just a bad game of football full stop. Yes another home defeat unfortunately but I think we should cut the team a bit of slack and try to get back onto positive footing for the playoffs . As a matter of interest I had a chat with Dean Keates of Wrexham at half time and commented it was poor fare, to which he said their lads were finding it difficult to cope with the very blustery conditions out on the pitch. Not an excuse but a fair comment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 113
Maringer
April 11, 2015, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
I'd probably have given Pearson MotM myself though he was barely better than average on the day.

I admit to be absolutely gobsmacked by the overall 'performance' today. Out of our midfielders and forwards, Mackreth probably was the least bad and he spent half the game at full-back!

I agree with BIGChris that Brown must be so easy to play against - every time he got the ball, he twisted and turned this way and that and when not dispossessed, invariably passed it backwards.

Credit to Wrexham for working their socks off in midfield especially, but that shouldn't be enough to beat a team near the top of the table.

What baffles and worries me is just how a team on such a great run of form can put in such an utterly inept performance!

Before today, I thought we'd have a really good chance in the play-offs, but a team that can put in a performance like that? Let's say, I'm beginning to have serious doubts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 113
LH
April 11, 2015, 6:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Usually there is some sort of straw to clutch at like we passed well or we defended well but only conceded to a brilliant goal but Wrexham offered nothing and we offered even less. Absolutely abject performance and really struggling to get any encouragement for the play offs now let alone Southport next week.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 113
chaos33
April 11, 2015, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
The doubts have always been there for me - I'll be honest and say I'm not a Hurst fan, but they had started to dissipate, to be replaced by optimism and belief. Probably much the same as many others. And now reality has bitten back. I've never honestly been convinced that Hurst has what it takes to get us promoted and I'm still not. It's not as if this latest home performance is a 'one off'. It's a recurring symptom of a problem.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 113
Mrs Doyle
April 11, 2015, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Sorry but I don't blame Hurst for that horror show sometimes the players have to take the blame, today was that time no town player can honestly say he had a great game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 113
lowerfindus
April 11, 2015, 6:07pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Play-off failure looms #groundhogseason.

I expect major tinkering with the team in the next two games ultimately leading to a disjointed 1st leg performance in the playoffs and another capitulation with hope looming on the horizon.

Optimism & Positivity 0 - Get Us Shape 1

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 113
MuddyWaters
April 11, 2015, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
It's the first PH interview in my memory when he's accepted that it wasn't good enough. Let's hope that he's got the balls to put it right.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 113
BIGChris
April 11, 2015, 6:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from chaos33
The doubts have always been there for me - I'll be honest and say I'm not a Hurst fan, but they had started to dissipate, to be replaced by optimism and belief. Probably much the same as many others. And now reality has bitten back. I've never honestly been convinced that Hurst has what it takes to get us promoted and I'm still not. It's not as if this latest home performance is a 'one off'. It's a recurring symptom of a problem.

For me that performance was solely the responsibility of the players. They can't hide behind Hurst, grow a pair and accept responsibility for your NON performance
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 113
moosey_club
April 11, 2015, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from BIGChris
I think Arnold generally has the best first touch than anyone in our squad!

Its a pity his second touch is so sh1t.

15 employees did nothing to earn their wages today, the starting 11 ranged from poor to awful, the 3 subs did little more and Hurst far too slow to react to what was evident from early doors was a sub standard performance.

Could go on a massive rant but cant be arsed.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.