Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,364 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 10, 2015, 8:31pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
For me, and I'm sure for most others, I support Grimsby Town because they are my home town team.

I was actually born in Cleethorpes (Croft Baker Maternity Home) but have never lived in Cleethorpes.

For the first 18 months of my life we lived on Newhaven Terrace but we then moved with my Dad's job to Cardiff and then a year later we moved to Leicester, again due to my Dad's job. Sadly my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia and died when I was 3 and a half, so Mum moved the family back to Grimsby where I have lived ever since.

I have noticed though that there seems to be quite a few people who live away from the area. Most of these will have moved away from Grimsby at some time during their lives but I know there are some Town fans who have never actually lived in Grimsby.

So, why do you support/follow The Mighty Mariners?

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
April 10, 2015, 8:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Well!  i was born in Grimsby (Nunsthorpe) in 1970 and was taken to see Town when i was 7 by my uncle Pat and i've been hooked ever since.

I could never support any other team.....ever!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
promotion plaice
April 10, 2015, 8:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189
I came over from Hull because my family moved here when i was very young and then i went to watch a match at BP and have been hooked on the mariners ever since. My father was a Hull City fanatic all his life and we had many heated arguments over football over the years. My dad hated town but i think he admired and was envious of them when they were punching above their weight in the Championship as it is now. My dad died just before Hull moved into the KC stadium and he never saw them reach the promised land. He would give me some stick now if he was still alive.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
Fcukthescunts
April 10, 2015, 9:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Born in Leeds. My Dad was Town fan. I got taken to a Leeds match before moving to Keelby but when I watched town I was hooked. Since moving over to Preston I have become more keen and proud to be a Town fan. Many work colleagues are PNE fans (actually off to watch PNE with them tomorrow) but we have respect for each other because of past history's in our lifetime. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
Hagrid
April 10, 2015, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
My dad told me too! And they are my hometown club, ive never wanted to support anyone else, only one of my friends who supports town as well! Never known us win anything as mum and dad didnt take me to wembley in 98!! But gtfc are a part of my life and im so glad i was told to support them from the day i was born, would be a dream come true if i can see us go up this year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
AdamHaddock
April 10, 2015, 9:08pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Home town club. My old man took me to a match around 95 or 96 (3-1 over Sunderland). I briefly tried the glory supporting thing around 1999/2000 when I adopted Chelsea as my second team. Didn't last long, didn't feel any connection to them whatsoever unlike the mad mix of emotions town put me through

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
LH
April 10, 2015, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
GTFC are the biggest supported team in my slum in Nairobi.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
denni266
April 10, 2015, 9:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
born in cleethorpes, grew up under the floodlights in harrington st . and been going since 1962,, seen the good and bad, sadly this last 5 yrs has been the worst and  realy got to me ,, why,, its only football after all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
mike502
April 10, 2015, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
I was born in North Yorkshire and have never lived within 90 miles of Grimsby... most of the kids at my school supported Leeds who were local or Liverpool who were good.  But my mum's family came from Grimsby and my Uncle took me to my first game - a 4-0 win over Bolton in January 1981. I've been a Mariner ever since, albeit from a distance!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
TownSNAFU5
April 10, 2015, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Father and grandparents lived in Ellison Street, opposite the old Loftis' toy shop, 200 yards from the ground.

My dad was a Town fan so he took me to games.

I was brought up in Mablethorpe, where there were a lot of Grimsby fans.  There used to be a Town suporters bus that went to every home game.  Used to go on the bus with mates, or in my dad's car.  

Been an exile for over 40 years and still travel to games.  Not sure why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2015, 9:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
I am a GTFC fan because,

1. My home town club (born Nunny 1967)
2. BP since my first game in 1977 has given  me more pleasure than pain..........Just!
3. Re the above loads of cup ties beating big teams home and away, Kevin Drinkall hat trick last day of the season v Sheff U when e won the 3rd Division, Promotions under Buckley and Wembley 98 x 2
3 There are a lot like me..........and some great support and humour especially when we go away.
4..A current squad of players that really appreciate the fans and are happy to engage with them
5. Despite real challenges the club/fans try and do things to keep fans coming, sticker book, video, inflatables, wigs  
6. Might Mariner.....Will Mini ever come back?
7. The best song in football.........always a barrel of Tetley's for me.
8. Radio Humberside hate us
9.Yorkshire TV and Look North Likewise
10. And we are not Scunthorpe!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
gb
April 10, 2015, 9:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +36
Born London and arrived in Grimsby aged 4. There was a youth project when I was about 7 and my brother won best attendance and got a season ticket for the main stand. Went with him and been going ever since. Season ticket holder until 14 and then my football took over. Attend as much as I can now. Still not better feeling in the world watching town win though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
mariner91
April 10, 2015, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,253
Gold Stars: 253
All my dad's family and most of my mother's are from Grimsby although they both grew up in Mablethorpe. Dad supported them, took me in 1999 when I was 8 and I've been hooked ever since.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
sydney
April 10, 2015, 9:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Born in Nunny
Dad took me when I was 5 at the front of the Barretts stand
Doesn't everyone support the club where they where born?
Not interested in any other team
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
DNMariner
April 10, 2015, 9:55pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Born in Grimsby and lived here for 22 years (bar a brief one-year hiatus in Nottingham). Went to my first match with my old man which was the 6-5 against Burnley when I was 9. Set the tone for what has been an emotional rollercoaster following the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
BIGChris
April 10, 2015, 10:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Born in Cleethorpes, brought up in Waltham. Went to my first game in 1965.
Left the area for 20 years but returned & there's  has only ever been one club for me.

I have seen lot of football but there is only one I have supported.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
GiveUsAG
April 10, 2015, 10:21pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
After moving to Grimsby from Peterborough in 2008, I didn't know anyone nor my way round the town. I was born in Grimsby (1988 ), moved away in 99 aged 11 and didn't really bother with football, was a so called Liverpool fan, but never watched many games. I played football and was really good up until an accident that caused a serious injury screwed that up.

When I left college in Peterborough, I started work in a big retail supermarket. Whilst working there I came across Peterborough united fans and they use to give me a bit of stick for being from Grimsby. My dad and older brother have always been town fans (though hardly go any more) and it started to interest me. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So in 2008 aged 20 when I moved back here (Grimsby) I started going to town games. My first game was 10th October V Wycombe at Blundell park, went with my dad, younger and older brother. Stood left side of the pontoon (where I stand to this day, seven seasons later) and loved it, been going ever since.

I didn't know many people in Grimsby at the time either, and through going to town games home and away (though not been to an away game this season, due to being unemployed off and on) I've met some great fans / people of all ages. Fans like Matty Dawson and Knobby who are sadly no longer with us. I've even met some decent fans of other clubs.

I've only followed town for 7 seasons, but it feels as if I've always followed them. I am certainly proud to be able to call myself a town fan. Being a town fan knowing so many other fellow town fans, makes me feel as if I'm a part of a great community. I don't see us as just fans, but a community of people who have something in common that we are all passionate about, something we talk about so often. It's a community that I am proud to be a part of.

Football is our religion, and Blundell park is our church.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
Maringer
April 10, 2015, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Born in Croft Baker (as was my Dad) and I've lived in Clee for most of my life.

My Dad went as a boy with his Dad and Uncles and we're carrying on the tradition with my young nephew though he only goes to a few matches a year at the moment.

I'm told that one of my ancestors (Great Great Great Grandfather, perhaps?) was one of those who was involved in forming the club. No idea if there is any truth in that tale, however!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
jock dock tower
April 10, 2015, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I was prescribed them after a particularly bad dose of the Farmer Giles.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
cleethorpes_mariner
April 10, 2015, 10:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Born in Grimsby (Nunsthorpe 1966 ) went to my first game at the age of 10, still love it as much now as I did back then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
mrsd
April 10, 2015, 11:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
My dad always maintained he must have dropped me on my head when I was little! By the time I was born he had stopped playing local football and after he stopped playing he didn't go to watch any games so I really don't know where my affinity to Town came from!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
ginnywings
April 10, 2015, 11:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Born near Park Street, got a job selling papers at BP when i was about 11 and spent most of the time watching the game instead of selling papers as i loved footy anyway and was always out in the street or at Sidney Park with a football. Then the Lawrie Mac thing came along and BANG! i was hooked forever. Watching Town under Buckley is the best football i have ever seen anywhere. Fantastic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
KingstonMariner
April 10, 2015, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Home town club - well BP is in Cleethorpes. Family goes back generations in the area - fishing on both mum and dad's sides. Still love the place.

Took to first game by my big sister when I was 8. Cracking game v Donny (4-3) in the Lawrie Mac promotion season). Learnt to swear like a lumper.

Town fans always struck me as a witty bunch so regardless of the quality on the pitch there's usually some entertainment off it. There's all sorts of people, not all angels, don't always see eye to eye, but always welcoming. I'd echo what GiveUsAG said - a community.

Exiled since the early 80s - maybe there's something about roots and rootedness in the mix.

This is my club. There could be no other.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
IrishMariner
April 10, 2015, 11:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Wanted to go against the grain as an Irish kid growing up so I picked the Mariners. It has been 9 proud years now of supporting the Town from afar. My one and  only club,hoping to get over for my 18th next February..to an L2 game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
chaos33
April 10, 2015, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Both my parents and their parents were from Grimsby. I was born and raised until the age of 18. Born in Nunny, lived in Scartho and was taken by my Mum to my first game as an 8 year old as a birthday treat - Jan 16th 1980, home to Reading in Division 3 (year we won the title), winning 2-1. It was pure magic. The noise, the goals, the stadium and the drama, the excitement, the smells, everything. I was hooked. From then on I went with any family member or adult friend who would take me, until I was allowed to go on my own. Joined the AMS (remember that?!) to gain cheap entry and went home and away until I left for Uni in York aged 18, and never moved back to the Town, but travelled back faithfully for years until the present day. I've had many a great thrill supporting Town and much heartache.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
immariner
April 11, 2015, 12:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Grew up in Immingham. I tried the following a random club thing for a bit as a kid (Aston Villa) but realised it was daft and after a while of being clubless wanted to go see Town. I had a good friend who went fairly regularly so tagged along with him a few times. That was it. Here I am, 14 years later, spouting mostly balderdash to mostly strangers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
wembley_double98
April 11, 2015, 12:12am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
Born in Grimsby 1962, dad was in the forces and family moved to Germany in 1963. After 2 years in Saltau, we moved back to England, London.
Lived in Inglis barracks, Mill Hill, NW7 for 7 years, in this time I followed Tottenham until I left school. At the time of passing my driving test at 17, I was travelling to Grimsby
to see Town (350 miles round trip).
Never looked back!

Great days and sad days

UTM!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
Southwark Mariner
April 11, 2015, 12:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
I think Euro 96, World Cup 98 and then championship manager were my gateway drug to gtfc. Family and friends were never interested in football but after Euro 96 I really started to like football and then around 98/99 I got my hands on championship manager. I started with Ajax but there was so much talk about gtfc at school that I soon started a gtfc game. I quickly learnt the players that way and was hooked. Only problem was it seemed to all go wrong after the itv digital problems. 2002/3 was an ok year, but then I fell out of interest completely....only coming back for the tail-end of Mike Newell's tenure. Hooked since we fell into non-league.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
gaz57
April 11, 2015, 1:27am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Born in Cleethorpes and started going with a mate in 1976 as a teenager. Became hooked straight away and could not bring myself to miss a game so much that for a number of years I went to every away game. Due to health and finances it's not often I get away any more but I've only missed 12 home games since that first game in 1976. I hated every minute of every game I've missed and remember getting out of hospital early to attend a match when my family gave in and arranged for me to sit in one of the executive boxes so I could keep warm. I didn't like the box but I had a smile on my face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
moosey_club
April 11, 2015, 2:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
My mum's fault.
My mum was a regular in the Pontoon for years and then worked as a turnstyle operator for years after,... you may as well get paid for what you love. She had cousins and uncles who had played for Town previously so got her addiction from that i think.

I have always been into football, had a liking for Man Utd around 77', when they had Gordon Hill and Steve Coppell on the wings but as soon as i was deemed "old" enough by my mum i would go to BP and the occassional away game, particularly around 78 - 80. Hooked from that point. When it came to the self commentary while playing on the field i changed from Hill and Coppell to Brolley or Cumming.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
Caesar
April 11, 2015, 6:18am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Born in Boston (South Lincolnshire not US).

Around 1992 my family were discussing football, my Dad was a West Ham fan, my Mum was a Wednseday fan, brother a Totttenham fan and so I decided I wanted to support a team as well.  Looking through a book of football grounds when Blundell Park came up.  My parents pointed out that tickets wouldn't sell out so I could go see them, it wasn't that far away and apparently we were doing quite well.  So I said 'Yes I wil support Grimsby'

Went and was very quickly hooked, was a mascot twice and still remember the excitment of meeting Clive Mendonca and Jim Dobbin.  I think once that bug gets to you it never really goes.  I lost a little interest in football generally and as a result Grimsby in 2005 or so but our run to the JPT final got me back into it full time again.  

Now even though I have never lived in Grimsby I consider it far more like home than Boston.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
Mrs Doyle
April 11, 2015, 6:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Born in 58 raised on the Nunny and the Grange (a carn'y)

My dad first introduced me to Blundell Park aged five (sat in the imp gardens before the game fantastic.)

Seen lots of lows but some fantastic highs from McMenermy era and Buckley through to the lows of today but one thing remains Grimsby has the loudest and best fans around and the only club I will ever support.

Biggest regret as to be the day our lads walked out at Wembley in 98 for the first time, twin towers and all...................My beloved dad was no longer with me to hear the famous "MARINERS" roar of thirty thousand town fans in our national stadium.

Don't mind admitting it the tears were streaming down my face before and after that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
oldun
April 11, 2015, 8:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
My dad introduced me to Blundell Park in 1951. The rest is history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
Rick12
April 11, 2015, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Family are from there.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
oldludensian
April 11, 2015, 8:40am

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Parents born and bred in Gy and Clee. I was born in Louth and had already decided to follow Town by the time my first game came around in the early 80s simply because they were the nearest team to where I was born. The easiest way of deciding who to support is with a map and ruler.

Moved away from the area in 97 but cannot shake supporting Town. There has never been any other team and there never will be.

Supporting Town has brought many more lows than highs and I have spent most of my time following Town trying not to care but I cannot shake it. In my mind following Town is an addiction - I don't have a choice in the matter, it's a bit like how I assume a good heroin addiction is but worse for my health.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 74
grimsby pete
April 11, 2015, 8:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Born in Grimsby  then Dad got a job in Middlesborough when I was 5,

Moved back to Cleethorpes when I was 7,

First thing dad did was take me to Blundell Park,

AND

I was hooked,

Moved to Suffolk 28 years ago but always a mariner,,

Get to more away games than home ones,

BUT

Will be there today to see town v Wrexham.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
psgmariner
April 11, 2015, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
I lost a bet.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
gary_elton
April 11, 2015, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Born in Keelby 1953...  first match at BP in 1960... loved it... totally hooked...

cant remember how many goals I scored down Church Lane using the street light
and gate post for a goal... Ron Rafferty would've been proud....

Moved away from the area in 1971 , but just love getting back 2 or 3 times a season
for a walk along the front , Steels restaurant and a pint in the Imp.... then into BP...

Always proud to wear my Town shirt no matter where I've lived  !!!

Once a Mariner... ALWAYS a Mariner...   GTID  !!!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
acko338
April 11, 2015, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
My cousin was in the same reserve squad as Graham Taylor, one year apart in age, an opposite side full back.

He took me with him to watch matches to bring me out of myself after my mum had died suddenly when I was 11, and I saw Dougie Collins tease West Ham defenders from the main stand at my first night match, perched on a stool.

No other team could then compete in my eyes - a life long love for my local league team.

The 1-0 against Tottenham is the nearest to that boyhood feeling of sheer joy of watching YOUR team against superior on paper opposition.

Still hurts all weekend when we lose !! No more hurts for the rest of this season, please ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
big al
April 11, 2015, 9:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
great thread. a  real antidote  to a lot of the stuff on  the 'dross'  thread.  seeing the stories  about why and how people support town is great.

my first game was 78,  aged  eleven.  most powerful memory  or experience  is the 92  Exeter game,  ironically.  we stood in the pontoon -  not sure why because we ask normally stood in the imperial corner.  had my head in my hands,  not looking at the pitch for last part  the game.  have lived all over the country since and now live in  st  Helens.  my nearest game is  Southport.  let's hope it might be another  Exeter city. ( long shot I know)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
stuart brace was king
April 11, 2015, 9:57am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
My Grandfather did, my Dad did.
Born Grimsby 1960, Nunsthorpe nursing home like everyone else!
Went to first game with my Dad in 1966... Barrett stand.
Started going regularly with a mate and his parents age10, they went in the Main stand we sat on the fence just behind the goal at the Pontoon end.
Saw every home game of the 71/72 season and was in the GET pictures of the team mobbed after the Exeter game.
Spent many an hour at the old Peaks lane training ground up past the YMCA in the early 70s.
Stuart Brace was my hero followed by Harry,Harry Harry...  And Davie, Davie Boylen, flying down the wing!!
Moved away in 1978... But watch them whenever possible and there's never been another team for me.
Up the Mariners, Up the Mariners, .....ad infinitum!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
livosnose
April 11, 2015, 10:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Born in Leeds. My Dad was Town fan. I got taken to a Leeds match before moving to Keelby but when I watched town I was hooked. Since moving over to Preston I have become more keen and proud to be a Town fan. Many work colleagues are PNE fans (actually off to watch PNE with them tomorrow) but we have respect for each other because of past history's in our lifetime. UTM

I know who you are !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
livosnose
April 11, 2015, 10:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
I can't answer that question I just do......utm

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
Paris Mariner
April 11, 2015, 10:30am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Family indoctrination - my dad started me off by taking me to reserve games until I fell asleep. The first first team game I went to was a winning result 2-0 and I've been hooked ever since.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 74
kenlyn
April 11, 2015, 3:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +55
Born and grew up in Grimsby and moved away due to work in 1980.

Only team I support do not follow any other team or want to and still
refer to Grimsby has been home even though I have not had the
oppurtunity to move back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
Madeleymariner
April 11, 2015, 3:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Because Im daft
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
Mariner Timsky
April 11, 2015, 3:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,535
Born in Grimsby. Moved away to Northampton in 1994 only a couple of years after getting into  Town and going to a few home games, so pretty gutted when the folks told me we was moving to Northampton. But yeh support Town and always will , have done for 20 years. UTM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
sonofmadeleymariner
April 11, 2015, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Had the choice really of being a Port Vale fan or a Grimsby fan I would of been disowned if I supported a top 4 premiership team or Stoke City. Just happened to be my Dad took me to see Grimsby first so thats that really

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
LongEatonMariner
April 11, 2015, 4:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
It keeps me grounded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
horsforthmariner
April 11, 2015, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Because I'm a masochist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
Mariner Timsky
April 11, 2015, 6:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,535
Because I Love feeling deflated, , over and over and over and over again

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
BottesfordMariner
April 11, 2015, 9:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Like many here Town are my home town team.

My earliest memories are living in Barcroft St and the floodlights would light up my bedroom.

I was football mad as a kid (still am tbh). I had a Town shirt in the mid 70's and pestered my mum and dad for ages to let me go to BP. Due to hooliganism they were reluctant.

Neither my mum or dad were from the area so they had no affinity to the club. My dad was a Trawlerman and it was this that brought him to Grimsby in the 60's. He was from Fleetwood and was a Blackpool fan (and Fleetwood). In fact i saw Blackpool and Fleetwood play before i ever set foot in BP. My dad passed away some years ago but i still like Blackpool and Fleetwood and watch them now and again. (sure to get some negs i know)

Anyway they finally gave in and my dad took me to my first Town game in the mid 70's. It was after the club had been relegated to divison 4. Young players were being introduced to the team like Fordy, Kev Moooe, Drinks and the club were shortly to embark on a golden period. They were good to watch and i loved it.

After that first game around '77 my dad took me to every home game over the next 3 or 4 years until i started going with my mates. We first stood in the Imperial Corner but i soon persauded my dad to go the back of the Pontoon.

I suppose the fact Town were pretty good helped get me hooked and for my dad to go along. My mum was Irish so i immediately had an affinity with Joe Waters (my all time favourite player) and Terry Donovan whose family we knew.

Barely missed a home game until the mid 80's.Had a Season Ticket. But the Mickey Lyons and later Bobby Roberts era tested my resolve im afraid. It wasnt much fun to watch and by then i had left school , started work and had some ££ of my own. I bought a Manchester City season ticket and had one for the next decade on the Kippax. Started watching City away as well so while i still continued to watch Town (home and away) it became less regular and was really dependent on who/where City were playing.

What changed was when all seater stadiums came in the early mid 90's. The price of my City season ticket shot up when they demolished the old terracing on the Kippax and built a new all seater stand.  I used to stand halfway up the Kippax on the halfway line.....right were the most expensive seats would be.

As my trips to Manchester lessened I started watching Town more again. Became a Season Ticket holder at BP again in the late 90's and have become so again since we dropped out of the league and rarely miss any home games now. I still watch City occasionally but now it depends on who/where Town are playing. Town are now my number 1.

As more ££ enters the greed is king premier league the more detached i feel from it. I cant relate to players on quarter of a million pounds a week. I still want City to do well but it probably isnt as important to me as it was say 20-25 years ago. Grimsby Town is real football to me and i am desperate we get back into the Football League as soon as possible and move forward.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
sparko501
April 11, 2015, 10:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +97
Because I'm from Grimsby, so it's my duty and I'm proud of it!!! UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
diehardmariner
April 11, 2015, 11:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Because my Dad was cruel and took me at a young age.

First game was Maidstone (lost either 2-1 or 3-2) in September 1989.  I was bored shitless and didn't go the rest of the season.

Next game was first home game of the 1990/91 season against Wigan.  Won 4-3 with Neil Woods running their defence ragged.

Hooked ever since.  Never forgiven the old man.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
oldludensian
April 11, 2015, 11:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from diehardmariner
Because my Dad was cruel and took me at a young age.

First game was Maidstone (lost either 2-1 or 3-2) in September 1989.  I was bored shitless and didn't go the rest of the season.

Next game was first home game of the 1990/91 season against Wigan.  Won 4-3 with Neil Woods running their defence ragged.

Hooked ever since.  Never forgiven the old man.

It was 3-2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
Chrisblor
April 11, 2015, 11:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Born in Grimsby, lived down Carr Lane until I was 18. Could see the Blundell Park floodlights from my bedroom window. Not into any of that glory supporting rubbish so Town are the only team for me (even though I live and work in Sheffield now)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
SpudUDontLike
April 12, 2015, 12:05am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
grimsby pete
April 12, 2015, 10:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Why Do You Support Grimsby Town ?

I was thinking that on the long journey home to Suffolk last night,

I must be mad,

I think I will stick to away games in future,

No fish + chips but a better day out,

AND

Not so far to travel.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
rancido
April 12, 2015, 5:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from Les Brechin
For me, and I'm sure for most others, I support Grimsby Town because they are my home town team.

I was actually born in Cleethorpes (Croft Baker Maternity Home) but have never lived in Cleethorpes.

For the first 18 months of my life we lived on Newhaven Terrace but we then moved with my Dad's job to Cardiff and then a year later we moved to Leicester, again due to my Dad's job. Sadly my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia and died when I was 3 and a half, so Mum moved the family back to Grimsby where I have lived ever since.

I have noticed though that there seems to be quite a few people who live away from the area. Most of these will have moved away from Grimsby at some time during their lives but I know there are some Town fans who have never actually lived in Grimsby.

So, why do you support/follow The Mighty Mariners?

I was born at 181 Newhaven Terrace in 1948, Les! My parents are both from Grimsby and started going to watch town in the Autumn of  1965. I can't remember my first game but I can remember the home League Cup game against West Ham and beating Hull City at BP. It's my home town's team and I can't imagine ever watching or being interested in any other team.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
April 12, 2015, 6:40pm
Guest User
I support Grimsby because of Alan Buckley.

Grew up watching Buckley as a super striker and manager at Fellows Park Walsall from 1974.

Moved to Skegness in 1978. Still supported Walsall although attending matches was difficult.

When Buckley came to Grimsby we came to watch his new team and fell in love with the club.
Loved the Buckley style of pure football.
Also loved that he signed ex Saddlers player including Gary Childs, Richard O'Kelly and Craig Shakespeare.

The rest as they say is history

Reply: 59 - 74
lukeo
April 12, 2015, 8:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Born in Grimsby 1988, went to my first game in 1999 and got a season ticket from 2000 - 2010 before I moved to Devon, miss it and always wear my town shirt at football training and my town wooly hat at work when it's cold. Don't have a 2nd team, only 1 club I support and tell people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
iimariner
April 12, 2015, 8:38pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +13
Born in Wolverhampton - moved to Grimsby when 7 and went to first game in 73.  Moved down south but still elated when we win and downright miserable when we lose.  Proud to be a Mariner and always will be.  UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
St. Pauli
April 12, 2015, 8:52pm

Shandy Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Came to Immingham from Germany for some month work in 1992. As I am generally interested in  football, I went to Blundell Park and was caught. Came back several times to watch the Mighty Mariners home & away and at both Wembley Stadiums and of course follow the development over the internet (fishy, live-streams etc.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
barralad
April 12, 2015, 9:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Moved from Brighton to Grimsby in 1966. My first ever game was Brighton v Donny. The match ended 0-0 and it was bloody boring. Put me off football for a year or so. My dad persuaded me to go to the first match of the 68/69 season. We beat Newport 3-0 and I was hooked. Within a month we were drawing 1-1 at home with (then) First division Burnley in the League Cup......Awesome occasion if you were 10 years old....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
TownSNAFU5
April 13, 2015, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
What these many comments from loyal fans show, is that it is vital to get young football fans going to see Grimsby home games at the earliest opportunity.

Once they are hooked as Town fans, they are hooked for live.  This should happen before get dazzled by supporting Premiership teams seen on TV.

The club and/or the Trust should be doing everything possible to get as many young fans involved with supporting Town on match days.  Encouragingly, there seems to be a lot of young girls going to our matches as well now.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
newfootballer
April 13, 2015, 12:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Born in Manchester 1947, played in local football as a kid joined a youth club called Ardwick Lads club eventually moved to Gorton boys club got into Manchester Boys club.

Played at Northumbria boys club, seen b y a Grimsby Town scout then signed for Grimsby Town fc moved in 1965 to Cleethorpes as a junior footballer (thats what we were called in them days"

Got into the first team stayed at GtfC all my carreer which was nearly 400 games and married a Grimsby girl had two girls and have two Granchildren still watch Grimsby Town whenever I can

Still believe we can win the play-offs and get promotion this season.

Dave Boylen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
GYinScuntland
April 13, 2015, 1:59pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
I blame Hitler and Goring.
The Luftwaffe bombed my Mum's family out of South London and they moved North after the war, in the meantime my Dad from Carlisle was doing national service in the RAF based where Dumpcaster airport now is.
Of all the places to meet it was the Crosby in Scunthorpe at a bloody dance night. He asked her for a dance and that was it. Could have been worse as Fred Trueman had asked  previous so I suppose I could have been a bloody Yorkie.
Fast forward a few years and the old man (RIP) being too tight to take us to Spain, buys a caravan on Beacholme.
With being on camp every weekend and all summer holidays I made friends with some locals and one of my friends was going to a match with his dad, he asked my dad if I could go too.
Town won that night in 1972 with a poxy crowd of 20 odd thousand, won some title or other and if I remember right everyone copulated off home and moaned on the fishy.
I was a 12 year old sprog and hooked, my parents took me to the doctor who assured them I would grow out of it.
I didn't grow out of the hayfever either so I'm doubly buggered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
fleabag1970
April 13, 2015, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Started supporting Town in 1980 ........ Why ?

Cause we were brilliant , we had a Team of mostly local lads who gave their all week in week out and it always felt exciting to be going to watch them play because win lose or draw in was always entertaining ...............

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
gytone
April 13, 2015, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Both granddad and dad supported Town, I was born and bred within spitting distance of the market hotel, and have never lived further than a mile away from it, it used to be a great pub. First season I went was Big Lawrie championship winning team so at 7 years old i was hooked, and have been ever since, although my patience has been tested the last few years, particularly this year which ive only seen 7 home games unfortunately. Both my sons support Town although one lives away in Chesterfield so doesn't see them so often and the other is away at uni so for the same reasons he hasn't seen many games. Still love the club and haven't got time for the premiership diving and cheating that goes on, would love to see the club in a new ground and back in the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
arryarryarry
April 13, 2015, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Moved to Gy in 1965, Dad started watching Town when we moved here and he took me to my first game in November 1966 at age 11, hardly missed a home game since even though my dad stopped going in 1972.

Went to the local away games up to the 71/72 season and then went to just about every one that season as I had learnt to drive. Since then I have missed the odd game due to holidays and illness but I can honestly say that I have never missed a home game since Nov. 1966 due to not wanting to be there although these passed 5 years have started to tempt me.

I moved away 20 odd years ago so every home game is an away one for me.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
gtfc98
April 13, 2015, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
It's my dad's fault

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
Cod Cheeks
April 13, 2015, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +374
My dad used to take me if I was naughty now I'm taking him when he is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 13, 2015, 9:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Not straightforward for me so sit tight. Born in 1956 near Rasen like many kids we collected ty phoo tea football pictures loved claret and blue sonsupported Burnley. Came home from Sunday School in 1962 to see Spurs demolish them in the Cup, only remember the highlights not the actual match, so switched to Spurs and had their picture everywhere. So come 1965 Bobby Smith has moved on to Brighton and they are to play at BP in a night game.

Approach mate whose dad went to all home games and beg a lift, we had no car, and they take me and Smith is injured! However, Tees and Green were not and with Ronnie Foster scoring new heroes were born and the floodlights made it all seem magical. Started begging lifts from anyone who went to BP and Barra is right about that Burnley league cup game where Collins excelled.

A player from my first visit, Brian Hill, later was my teammate and manager at Market Rasen.

Started going every week in what was our worst years til recent times and attended lowest attended league game v Brentford. Reward was to follow with the return of the messiah, Matt Tees, crowds trebled, excitement returned and 71/72 for a young teenager was pure heaven and those games V Norwich in league cup and Exeter with 22,000 at both were just nights to die for. Loved the Barratt Stand but like most teenagers in the seventies was a Pontoon boy.

Enjoyed meeting and playing against mant ex town players, like New Footballer, whilst playing in the Lincs League and Sunday County Cups and still regard any ex town player as something special but no one compares to Sir Matt and when I met him at Micky Heward's wedding I thought my life complete.

1998 and Wembley were to surpass even meeting Sir Matt and that first visit has to be the greatest day of any town fan's life.

Maybe why I find our football a little unispiring nowadays but like so many I live in hope that some good days will return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
barralad
April 13, 2015, 11:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry
Moved to Gy in 1965, Dad started watching Town when we moved here and he took me to my first game in November 1966 at age 11, hardly missed a home game since even though my dad stopped going in 1972.

Went to the local away games up to the 71/72 season and then went to just about every one that season as I had learnt to drive. Since then I have missed the odd game due to holidays and illness but I can honestly say that I have never missed a home game since Nov. 1966 due to not wanting to be there although these passed 5 years have started to tempt me.

I moved away 20 odd years ago so every home game is an away one for me.

That's an amazing record. I might not agree with you very often but there cannot be many who've seen as much of GTFC as you have...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
Manchester Mariner
April 14, 2015, 12:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
I got interested in football due to the 1986 world cup in Mexico, it all seemed proper exotic. I wanted to go see football live, my dad took me to see Town and by sheer luck it corresponded with Alan Buckley starting at Town and years of absolutely glorious football, promotions and heroes like Mendonca, Alexander, Futcher etc. Unfortunately things turned pretty sour but you never turn back on your club and the misery goes hand in hand with supporting a club.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.