Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,355 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
gtfc98
April 13, 2015, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
It's my dad's fault

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
Cod Cheeks
April 13, 2015, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
My dad used to take me if I was naughty now I'm taking him when he is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 13, 2015, 9:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Not straightforward for me so sit tight. Born in 1956 near Rasen like many kids we collected ty phoo tea football pictures loved claret and blue sonsupported Burnley. Came home from Sunday School in 1962 to see Spurs demolish them in the Cup, only remember the highlights not the actual match, so switched to Spurs and had their picture everywhere. So come 1965 Bobby Smith has moved on to Brighton and they are to play at BP in a night game.

Approach mate whose dad went to all home games and beg a lift, we had no car, and they take me and Smith is injured! However, Tees and Green were not and with Ronnie Foster scoring new heroes were born and the floodlights made it all seem magical. Started begging lifts from anyone who went to BP and Barra is right about that Burnley league cup game where Collins excelled.

A player from my first visit, Brian Hill, later was my teammate and manager at Market Rasen.

Started going every week in what was our worst years til recent times and attended lowest attended league game v Brentford. Reward was to follow with the return of the messiah, Matt Tees, crowds trebled, excitement returned and 71/72 for a young teenager was pure heaven and those games V Norwich in league cup and Exeter with 22,000 at both were just nights to die for. Loved the Barratt Stand but like most teenagers in the seventies was a Pontoon boy.

Enjoyed meeting and playing against mant ex town players, like New Footballer, whilst playing in the Lincs League and Sunday County Cups and still regard any ex town player as something special but no one compares to Sir Matt and when I met him at Micky Heward's wedding I thought my life complete.

1998 and Wembley were to surpass even meeting Sir Matt and that first visit has to be the greatest day of any town fan's life.

Maybe why I find our football a little unispiring nowadays but like so many I live in hope that some good days will return.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
barralad
April 13, 2015, 11:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry
Moved to Gy in 1965, Dad started watching Town when we moved here and he took me to my first game in November 1966 at age 11, hardly missed a home game since even though my dad stopped going in 1972.

Went to the local away games up to the 71/72 season and then went to just about every one that season as I had learnt to drive. Since then I have missed the odd game due to holidays and illness but I can honestly say that I have never missed a home game since Nov. 1966 due to not wanting to be there although these passed 5 years have started to tempt me.

I moved away 20 odd years ago so every home game is an away one for me.

That's an amazing record. I might not agree with you very often but there cannot be many who've seen as much of GTFC as you have...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
Manchester Mariner
April 14, 2015, 12:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
I got interested in football due to the 1986 world cup in Mexico, it all seemed proper exotic. I wanted to go see football live, my dad took me to see Town and by sheer luck it corresponded with Alan Buckley starting at Town and years of absolutely glorious football, promotions and heroes like Mendonca, Alexander, Futcher etc. Unfortunately things turned pretty sour but you never turn back on your club and the misery goes hand in hand with supporting a club.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.