Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,424 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Caesar
April 11, 2015, 6:18am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Born in Boston (South Lincolnshire not US).

Around 1992 my family were discussing football, my Dad was a West Ham fan, my Mum was a Wednseday fan, brother a Totttenham fan and so I decided I wanted to support a team as well.  Looking through a book of football grounds when Blundell Park came up.  My parents pointed out that tickets wouldn't sell out so I could go see them, it wasn't that far away and apparently we were doing quite well.  So I said 'Yes I wil support Grimsby'

Went and was very quickly hooked, was a mascot twice and still remember the excitment of meeting Clive Mendonca and Jim Dobbin.  I think once that bug gets to you it never really goes.  I lost a little interest in football generally and as a result Grimsby in 2005 or so but our run to the JPT final got me back into it full time again.  

Now even though I have never lived in Grimsby I consider it far more like home than Boston.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
Mrs Doyle
April 11, 2015, 6:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Born in 58 raised on the Nunny and the Grange (a carn'y)

My dad first introduced me to Blundell Park aged five (sat in the imp gardens before the game fantastic.)

Seen lots of lows but some fantastic highs from McMenermy era and Buckley through to the lows of today but one thing remains Grimsby has the loudest and best fans around and the only club I will ever support.

Biggest regret as to be the day our lads walked out at Wembley in 98 for the first time, twin towers and all...................My beloved dad was no longer with me to hear the famous "MARINERS" roar of thirty thousand town fans in our national stadium.

Don't mind admitting it the tears were streaming down my face before and after that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
oldun
April 11, 2015, 8:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
My dad introduced me to Blundell Park in 1951. The rest is history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
Rick12
April 11, 2015, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Family are from there.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
oldludensian
April 11, 2015, 8:40am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Parents born and bred in Gy and Clee. I was born in Louth and had already decided to follow Town by the time my first game came around in the early 80s simply because they were the nearest team to where I was born. The easiest way of deciding who to support is with a map and ruler.

Moved away from the area in 97 but cannot shake supporting Town. There has never been any other team and there never will be.

Supporting Town has brought many more lows than highs and I have spent most of my time following Town trying not to care but I cannot shake it. In my mind following Town is an addiction - I don't have a choice in the matter, it's a bit like how I assume a good heroin addiction is but worse for my health.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 74
grimsby pete
April 11, 2015, 8:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Born in Grimsby  then Dad got a job in Middlesborough when I was 5,

Moved back to Cleethorpes when I was 7,

First thing dad did was take me to Blundell Park,

AND

I was hooked,

Moved to Suffolk 28 years ago but always a mariner,,

Get to more away games than home ones,

BUT

Will be there today to see town v Wrexham.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
psgmariner
April 11, 2015, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I lost a bet.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
gary_elton
April 11, 2015, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Born in Keelby 1953...  first match at BP in 1960... loved it... totally hooked...

cant remember how many goals I scored down Church Lane using the street light
and gate post for a goal... Ron Rafferty would've been proud....

Moved away from the area in 1971 , but just love getting back 2 or 3 times a season
for a walk along the front , Steels restaurant and a pint in the Imp.... then into BP...

Always proud to wear my Town shirt no matter where I've lived  !!!

Once a Mariner... ALWAYS a Mariner...   GTID  !!!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
acko338
April 11, 2015, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
My cousin was in the same reserve squad as Graham Taylor, one year apart in age, an opposite side full back.

He took me with him to watch matches to bring me out of myself after my mum had died suddenly when I was 11, and I saw Dougie Collins tease West Ham defenders from the main stand at my first night match, perched on a stool.

No other team could then compete in my eyes - a life long love for my local league team.

The 1-0 against Tottenham is the nearest to that boyhood feeling of sheer joy of watching YOUR team against superior on paper opposition.

Still hurts all weekend when we lose !! No more hurts for the rest of this season, please ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
big al
April 11, 2015, 9:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
great thread. a  real antidote  to a lot of the stuff on  the 'dross'  thread.  seeing the stories  about why and how people support town is great.

my first game was 78,  aged  eleven.  most powerful memory  or experience  is the 92  Exeter game,  ironically.  we stood in the pontoon -  not sure why because we ask normally stood in the imperial corner.  had my head in my hands,  not looking at the pitch for last part  the game.  have lived all over the country since and now live in  st  Helens.  my nearest game is  Southport.  let's hope it might be another  Exeter city. ( long shot I know)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.