Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,356 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
mrsd
April 10, 2015, 11:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
My dad always maintained he must have dropped me on my head when I was little! By the time I was born he had stopped playing local football and after he stopped playing he didn't go to watch any games so I really don't know where my affinity to Town came from!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
ginnywings
April 10, 2015, 11:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Born near Park Street, got a job selling papers at BP when i was about 11 and spent most of the time watching the game instead of selling papers as i loved footy anyway and was always out in the street or at Sidney Park with a football. Then the Lawrie Mac thing came along and BANG! i was hooked forever. Watching Town under Buckley is the best football i have ever seen anywhere. Fantastic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
KingstonMariner
April 10, 2015, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Home town club - well BP is in Cleethorpes. Family goes back generations in the area - fishing on both mum and dad's sides. Still love the place.

Took to first game by my big sister when I was 8. Cracking game v Donny (4-3) in the Lawrie Mac promotion season). Learnt to swear like a lumper.

Town fans always struck me as a witty bunch so regardless of the quality on the pitch there's usually some entertainment off it. There's all sorts of people, not all angels, don't always see eye to eye, but always welcoming. I'd echo what GiveUsAG said - a community.

Exiled since the early 80s - maybe there's something about roots and rootedness in the mix.

This is my club. There could be no other.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
IrishMariner
April 10, 2015, 11:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Wanted to go against the grain as an Irish kid growing up so I picked the Mariners. It has been 9 proud years now of supporting the Town from afar. My one and  only club,hoping to get over for my 18th next February..to an L2 game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
chaos33
April 10, 2015, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Both my parents and their parents were from Grimsby. I was born and raised until the age of 18. Born in Nunny, lived in Scartho and was taken by my Mum to my first game as an 8 year old as a birthday treat - Jan 16th 1980, home to Reading in Division 3 (year we won the title), winning 2-1. It was pure magic. The noise, the goals, the stadium and the drama, the excitement, the smells, everything. I was hooked. From then on I went with any family member or adult friend who would take me, until I was allowed to go on my own. Joined the AMS (remember that?!) to gain cheap entry and went home and away until I left for Uni in York aged 18, and never moved back to the Town, but travelled back faithfully for years until the present day. I've had many a great thrill supporting Town and much heartache.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
immariner
April 11, 2015, 12:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Grew up in Immingham. I tried the following a random club thing for a bit as a kid (Aston Villa) but realised it was daft and after a while of being clubless wanted to go see Town. I had a good friend who went fairly regularly so tagged along with him a few times. That was it. Here I am, 14 years later, spouting mostly balderdash to mostly strangers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
wembley_double98
April 11, 2015, 12:12am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
Born in Grimsby 1962, dad was in the forces and family moved to Germany in 1963. After 2 years in Saltau, we moved back to England, London.
Lived in Inglis barracks, Mill Hill, NW7 for 7 years, in this time I followed Tottenham until I left school. At the time of passing my driving test at 17, I was travelling to Grimsby
to see Town (350 miles round trip).
Never looked back!

Great days and sad days

UTM!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
Southwark Mariner
April 11, 2015, 12:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 80
I think Euro 96, World Cup 98 and then championship manager were my gateway drug to gtfc. Family and friends were never interested in football but after Euro 96 I really started to like football and then around 98/99 I got my hands on championship manager. I started with Ajax but there was so much talk about gtfc at school that I soon started a gtfc game. I quickly learnt the players that way and was hooked. Only problem was it seemed to all go wrong after the itv digital problems. 2002/3 was an ok year, but then I fell out of interest completely....only coming back for the tail-end of Mike Newell's tenure. Hooked since we fell into non-league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
gaz57
April 11, 2015, 1:27am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Born in Cleethorpes and started going with a mate in 1976 as a teenager. Became hooked straight away and could not bring myself to miss a game so much that for a number of years I went to every away game. Due to health and finances it's not often I get away any more but I've only missed 12 home games since that first game in 1976. I hated every minute of every game I've missed and remember getting out of hospital early to attend a match when my family gave in and arranged for me to sit in one of the executive boxes so I could keep warm. I didn't like the box but I had a smile on my face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
moosey_club
April 11, 2015, 2:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
My mum's fault.
My mum was a regular in the Pontoon for years and then worked as a turnstyle operator for years after,... you may as well get paid for what you love. She had cousins and uncles who had played for Town previously so got her addiction from that i think.

I have always been into football, had a liking for Man Utd around 77', when they had Gordon Hill and Steve Coppell on the wings but as soon as i was deemed "old" enough by my mum i would go to BP and the occassional away game, particularly around 78 - 80. Hooked from that point. When it came to the self commentary while playing on the field i changed from Hill and Coppell to Brolley or Cumming.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.