4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
acko338
April 8, 2015, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I think Scott needs to rest ready for the run in - not play in goal for Aberdeen ????

I seem to remember there's a.n.other Scott Brown playing up there.

Will the real Scott Brown put on the black & white stripes and push us for promotion?
Logged Offline
Private Message
SamTheMariner
April 8, 2015, 9:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Sounded as if he was our best player against Welling, no idea why he was dropped against Alfreton, hope he turns up and has a fantastic run of form from now to the play offs. That said he's a much better player than Clay for me, more mobile, much better ball player, wins a lot of tackles and always looks like he motivates people and is a leader. With Lenny seemingly on form and MacKreth causing havoc every game, Diz playing fantastically, the back 4 looking very solid, Parslow even had a good game on Monday, 3 excellent centre halves for this level and competition all over the pitch, things look positive maybe even positive.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Vance Warner
April 8, 2015, 9:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Sounded as if he was our best player against Welling, no idea why he was dropped against Alfreton, hope he turns up and has a fantastic run of form from now to the play offs. That said he's a much better player than Clay for me, more mobile, much better ball player, wins a lot of tackles and always looks like he motivates people and is a leader. With Lenny seemingly on form and MacKreth causing havoc every game, Diz playing fantastically, the back 4 looking very solid, Parslow even had a good game on Monday, 3 excellent centre halves for this level and competition all over the pitch, things look positive maybe even positive.

Thought Clay was MOM on Monday. The only one in the first half who had the courage to put his foot on the ball and calm things down. Great cross for the second goal as well. Agree about competition for places though - can't remember such a well balanced squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
aldi_01
April 8, 2015, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Personally I rate Clay. He can tackle but also shift the ball a lot better than Brown. Brown is a good player if you need someone to stay busy in the middle of the park...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2015, 10:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Both good players.............We need them for next season regardless of what league we are in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
headingly_mariner
April 8, 2015, 10:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from aldi_01
Personally I rate Clay. He can tackle but also shift the ball a lot better than Brown. Brown is a good player if you need someone to stay busy in the middle of the park...

Completely agree and I think Clay has the potential to play higher up, he's been a very good signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Mrs Doyle
April 8, 2015, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Keep both they bring quality grit and determination to the table important members of the squad simple as that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 8, 2015, 11:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Hurst kept Clay on when many fans did not want him.  Hurst has an above eye for a good player (generally).  And for letting players go at the right time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
SamTheMariner
April 9, 2015, 7:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Brown is a better player, Clay is more limited. But Diz is more consistent and scores goals, unlike the other2.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Afraid I disagree regards Brown and Clay.

Clay is a far superior player in my eyes. Although he's returned to form of late, I've been quite disappointed with Brown after the impressive start he made.  I think Clay's one of our more important players, we look far better when he's at the top of his game.  

I just wish Clay would shoot more often when in good positions.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I pretty much agree with dhm, and although I think they've both been very good generally, I don't feel either are quite good enough for league 2 generally, or at least , to be much more than squad players.

I do think that the criticisms levelled at McLaughlin - ie, the limitations in his defensive game, can be fairly applied to Brown and Clay, neither of whom offer quite enough offensively for my liking. I dont think they chalk up enough assists or more specifically goals (they probably won't  manage half a dozen between them) and this is the reason why I think we will need better balanced central midfielders if we get to the football league.

That said, they both have great mobility, can tackle and pass, want the ball (very important aspect IMO) and are good positionally and defensively.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Chrisblor
April 9, 2015, 11:06am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Yeah I think Clay's engine and positional awareness are very good for this level - it's just that his technique lets him down at times which is why he's reluctant to shoot in good positions. He had one effort from outside the box against Alfreton and sliced it miles wide.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 9, 2015, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
There were quite a few comments from York fans that Brown tended to go missing in bigger games.  Mental toughness I think.  This is something we may found out for ourselves.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
I agree with chrisblor about Clay's technique, although I guess he compensates for that with other strengths, much the same as other players do. Brown, Disley and McLaughlin are all better technically, with the latter two being superior to both offensively IMO.

Brown has certainly divided opinion amongst fans - Southport supporters thought he was superb and comfortably their best player last season, whilst my York City supporting mates thought he was rubbish and scoffed when we signed him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
arryarryarry
April 9, 2015, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
I watched Clay in all the pre-season games and have to admit I wasn't impressed and according to comments from other clubs he had been at, their fans hadn't been impressed either but I think he has now proved us doubters wrong.

I would add that his from had dipped in recent weeks but so had that of Brown but if I had to make a choice I would probably go with Clay at the moment.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
I actually think Clay is technically sound, far more so than Brown who is very hit and miss.  His sliced effort on Monday was pitiful but he won't be the first or last player to do it.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Caesar
April 9, 2015, 12:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I have to say I am a huge fan of Brown, think he holds possession of the ball so well and we have been missing that for a long time now.  In the games I have seen I have not really seen him go missing although do think he could offer a bit more for us going forward than just keeping play ticking over but on the whole have been very impressed with him and Clay to be fair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
headingly_mariner
April 9, 2015, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Quoted from diehardmariner
I actually think Clay is technically sound, far more so than Brown who is very hit and miss.  His sliced effort on Monday was pitiful but he won't be the first or last player to do it.

He also twatted a sweet volley that if anyone had followed up would have put us in front.

I would agree that technically he is pretty good, what impresses me most is his decision making, he strikes me as a clever footballer, he often finds a forward pass when others would go sideways and he makes clever runs into space.

I also like Brown, but I think at 22 and with limited experience Clay will end up being the better player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
RichMariner
April 9, 2015, 2:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I like both players - they have their limitations but they also bring a mixture of graft and skill that has long been missing in Town's midfield.

Between Disley, Brown and Clay our central midfield very rarely goes missing. What's important is that they are all different kinds of players, yet they all complement each other's style. I think the balance is right.

Of course, we could go after another central midfielder who in our eyes is more technically gifted and played at a higher level, last time we did that we got Peter Sweeney.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Or Dean Sinclair who was never fit.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
BIGChris
April 9, 2015, 3:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I'm with Headingley re Clay is only 22 and gaining experience all the time.

Potentially he could be very good in a couple more years. He has certainly benefited from having a run in the team and also perhaps from missing a few games through injury and then couldnt get back in. That rest is proving invaluable imo
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quick look at his stats prior to signing for Town.

27 starts over 4 years at Chesterfield
1 start at Barrow
4 starts at Alfreton
8 starts at York
4 starts at Halifax
9 at Worksop

Not an awful lot of games in there, even more so when you consider he left Chesterfield two years ago and spent most of 13-14 as a non-league journeyman.  Considering his lack of experience I really do like the maturity he shows on the ball.

You can also see why he perhaps hit a bit of a wall earlier in the season in terms of fitness.  
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 4:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Good points.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
horsforthmariner
April 9, 2015, 5:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Brown and Clay are both excellent and much better than the likes of Niven et al who have played alongside Disley in previous seasons.

I wonder if Brown slightly suffers as he is a bit similar to Disley, whereas Clay complements Disley a bit better.

One thing is certain though The Fishy got it completely wrong about Clay. I remember when we announced his contract it was derided as a dreadful signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Calamarikid
April 9, 2015, 5:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -395
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There were quite a few comments from York fans that Brown tended to go missing in bigger games.  Mental toughness I think.  This is something we may found out for ourselves.  

And yet he played in their biggest game of the season in the play-off final at Wembley....which they won......looks like he knows how to handle the big occasion.I prefer to talk to the bristol city fans about him...and they tell me how he scored several vital goals on their way up to the championship.....yeah he certainly sounds like someone who cant handle the big occasion...hes probably one of the few in our squad who genuinely CAN HANDLE IT.......nothing like encouragement though eh?try it sometime soft ollies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 9, 2015, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker

Calamarikid, well I hope that you are right.  The comments from York fans were more critical than I posted.  And they did release him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
oldun
April 9, 2015, 6:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
clay has surprised many people and has done very well in his first real consistent run of games. He gets a bout the pitch well, makes good tackles and generally tries to pick a pass that will get us moving forward. Brown is a terrier types and what I like about him he always tries to get the ball down on the floor to control and play it. He does get caught in tight areas sometimes but his close control is very good. Agree with other posters both should have scored more goals. Overall, I think Clay has a good future if he continues to work hard and is coached well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Maringer
April 9, 2015, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Personally, I don't think we've seen the best of Brown in the way that Southport obviously did last season. He looks to me to be a player who isn't perhaps the most 'naturally fit' of players. At the start of the season, he came in after a full season at Southport and a good pre-season and looked good initially. Unfortunately he then dropped out due to injury and has only been in and out since then. To tell the truth he didn't look properly fit to me in most of his appearances in 2015 (note, I've not seen Town play much over the past month). Could be a good player if he's fully fit and sharp, but a lot depends on if he can avoid injury.

Clay has done pretty well much of the time since he's been in the team but he certainly looks to be lacking a bit of stamina and often seems dead on his feet long before the end of games. Hopefully a full season playing regularly will set him in good stead in this respect as I can see him being a useful player next season. Just a pity he's lacking in pace. The fact that Disley is still our quickest central midfielder (IMHO) is pretty damning on the others given his age. I though it might be Dizza's last season with us but his goals and general high standard of play surely should mean we keep him for another year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
The_Laughing_Mariner
April 9, 2015, 11:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
If brown was that good for brizzle titty when they went up why isn't he still there,or at least at that level

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
arryarryarry
April 10, 2015, 12:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Quoted from Calamarikid

And yet he played in their biggest game of the season in the play-off final at Wembley....which they won......looks like he knows how to handle the big occasion.I prefer to talk to the bristol city fans about him...and they tell me how he scored several vital goals on their way up to the championship.....yeah he certainly sounds like someone who cant handle the big occasion...hes probably one of the few in our squad who genuinely CAN HANDLE IT.......nothing like encouragement though eh?try it sometime soft ollies.

Not sure how you can say that of any player unless you were there.

Town have been involved in many big games and won them, that's not to say every player had a great game and handled the situation well.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Abdul19
April 10, 2015, 1:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
If brown was that good for brizzle titty when they went up why isn't he still there,or at least at that level

They let him go to Cheltenham for free halfway through the season!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Brown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.