4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
April 9, 2015, 3:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I'm with Headingley re Clay is only 22 and gaining experience all the time.

Potentially he could be very good in a couple more years. He has certainly benefited from having a run in the team and also perhaps from missing a few games through injury and then couldnt get back in. That rest is proving invaluable imo
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 537
Quick look at his stats prior to signing for Town.

27 starts over 4 years at Chesterfield
1 start at Barrow
4 starts at Alfreton
8 starts at York
4 starts at Halifax
9 at Worksop

Not an awful lot of games in there, even more so when you consider he left Chesterfield two years ago and spent most of 13-14 as a non-league journeyman.  Considering his lack of experience I really do like the maturity he shows on the ball.

You can also see why he perhaps hit a bit of a wall earlier in the season in terms of fitness.  
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 4:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Good points.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
horsforthmariner
April 9, 2015, 5:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,606
Gold Stars: 9
Brown and Clay are both excellent and much better than the likes of Niven et al who have played alongside Disley in previous seasons.

I wonder if Brown slightly suffers as he is a bit similar to Disley, whereas Clay complements Disley a bit better.

One thing is certain though The Fishy got it completely wrong about Clay. I remember when we announced his contract it was derided as a dreadful signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Calamarikid
April 9, 2015, 5:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -395
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There were quite a few comments from York fans that Brown tended to go missing in bigger games.  Mental toughness I think.  This is something we may found out for ourselves.  

And yet he played in their biggest game of the season in the play-off final at Wembley....which they won......looks like he knows how to handle the big occasion.I prefer to talk to the bristol city fans about him...and they tell me how he scored several vital goals on their way up to the championship.....yeah he certainly sounds like someone who cant handle the big occasion...hes probably one of the few in our squad who genuinely CAN HANDLE IT.......nothing like encouragement though eh?try it sometime soft ollies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 9, 2015, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42

Calamarikid, well I hope that you are right.  The comments from York fans were more critical than I posted.  And they did release him.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
oldun
April 9, 2015, 6:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
clay has surprised many people and has done very well in his first real consistent run of games. He gets a bout the pitch well, makes good tackles and generally tries to pick a pass that will get us moving forward. Brown is a terrier types and what I like about him he always tries to get the ball down on the floor to control and play it. He does get caught in tight areas sometimes but his close control is very good. Agree with other posters both should have scored more goals. Overall, I think Clay has a good future if he continues to work hard and is coached well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Maringer
April 9, 2015, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
Personally, I don't think we've seen the best of Brown in the way that Southport obviously did last season. He looks to me to be a player who isn't perhaps the most 'naturally fit' of players. At the start of the season, he came in after a full season at Southport and a good pre-season and looked good initially. Unfortunately he then dropped out due to injury and has only been in and out since then. To tell the truth he didn't look properly fit to me in most of his appearances in 2015 (note, I've not seen Town play much over the past month). Could be a good player if he's fully fit and sharp, but a lot depends on if he can avoid injury.

Clay has done pretty well much of the time since he's been in the team but he certainly looks to be lacking a bit of stamina and often seems dead on his feet long before the end of games. Hopefully a full season playing regularly will set him in good stead in this respect as I can see him being a useful player next season. Just a pity he's lacking in pace. The fact that Disley is still our quickest central midfielder (IMHO) is pretty damning on the others given his age. I though it might be Dizza's last season with us but his goals and general high standard of play surely should mean we keep him for another year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
The_Laughing_Mariner
April 9, 2015, 11:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
If brown was that good for brizzle titty when they went up why isn't he still there,or at least at that level

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
arryarryarry
April 10, 2015, 12:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Calamarikid

And yet he played in their biggest game of the season in the play-off final at Wembley....which they won......looks like he knows how to handle the big occasion.I prefer to talk to the bristol city fans about him...and they tell me how he scored several vital goals on their way up to the championship.....yeah he certainly sounds like someone who cant handle the big occasion...hes probably one of the few in our squad who genuinely CAN HANDLE IT.......nothing like encouragement though eh?try it sometime soft ollies.

Not sure how you can say that of any player unless you were there.

Town have been involved in many big games and won them, that's not to say every player had a great game and handled the situation well.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Brown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.