4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
I pretty much agree with dhm, and although I think they've both been very good generally, I don't feel either are quite good enough for league 2 generally, or at least , to be much more than squad players.

I do think that the criticisms levelled at McLaughlin - ie, the limitations in his defensive game, can be fairly applied to Brown and Clay, neither of whom offer quite enough offensively for my liking. I dont think they chalk up enough assists or more specifically goals (they probably won't  manage half a dozen between them) and this is the reason why I think we will need better balanced central midfielders if we get to the football league.

That said, they both have great mobility, can tackle and pass, want the ball (very important aspect IMO) and are good positionally and defensively.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Chrisblor
April 9, 2015, 11:06am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
Yeah I think Clay's engine and positional awareness are very good for this level - it's just that his technique lets him down at times which is why he's reluctant to shoot in good positions. He had one effort from outside the box against Alfreton and sliced it miles wide.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 9, 2015, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
There were quite a few comments from York fans that Brown tended to go missing in bigger games.  Mental toughness I think.  This is something we may found out for ourselves.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
chaos33
April 9, 2015, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
I agree with chrisblor about Clay's technique, although I guess he compensates for that with other strengths, much the same as other players do. Brown, Disley and McLaughlin are all better technically, with the latter two being superior to both offensively IMO.

Brown has certainly divided opinion amongst fans - Southport supporters thought he was superb and comfortably their best player last season, whilst my York City supporting mates thought he was rubbish and scoffed when we signed him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
arryarryarry
April 9, 2015, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I watched Clay in all the pre-season games and have to admit I wasn't impressed and according to comments from other clubs he had been at, their fans hadn't been impressed either but I think he has now proved us doubters wrong.

I would add that his from had dipped in recent weeks but so had that of Brown but if I had to make a choice I would probably go with Clay at the moment.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 536
I actually think Clay is technically sound, far more so than Brown who is very hit and miss.  His sliced effort on Monday was pitiful but he won't be the first or last player to do it.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Caesar
April 9, 2015, 12:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I have to say I am a huge fan of Brown, think he holds possession of the ball so well and we have been missing that for a long time now.  In the games I have seen I have not really seen him go missing although do think he could offer a bit more for us going forward than just keeping play ticking over but on the whole have been very impressed with him and Clay to be fair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
headingly_mariner
April 9, 2015, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from diehardmariner
I actually think Clay is technically sound, far more so than Brown who is very hit and miss.  His sliced effort on Monday was pitiful but he won't be the first or last player to do it.

He also twatted a sweet volley that if anyone had followed up would have put us in front.

I would agree that technically he is pretty good, what impresses me most is his decision making, he strikes me as a clever footballer, he often finds a forward pass when others would go sideways and he makes clever runs into space.

I also like Brown, but I think at 22 and with limited experience Clay will end up being the better player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
RichMariner
April 9, 2015, 2:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
I like both players - they have their limitations but they also bring a mixture of graft and skill that has long been missing in Town's midfield.

Between Disley, Brown and Clay our central midfield very rarely goes missing. What's important is that they are all different kinds of players, yet they all complement each other's style. I think the balance is right.

Of course, we could go after another central midfielder who in our eyes is more technically gifted and played at a higher level, last time we did that we got Peter Sweeney.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
diehardmariner
April 9, 2015, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 536
Or Dean Sinclair who was never fit.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Brown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.