This thread currently has 2,845 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 7, 2015, 10:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Let's say we get promoted. I must confess it worries me looking at the bottom of L2 that a lot of the clubs there now have only got promoted from our division Mansfield, York, Cambridge, Oxford have all flirted with relegation. The side we have now is vastly better than the one that relegated, but the standard in L2 appears to have gone up in the intervening years. The nightmare scenario would be to get related again into the abyss, but I fear we wouldn't necessrily thrive in L2.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Abdul19
April 7, 2015, 10:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
If you offered me the chance of being in any of those 4 clubs current position in a year's time I'd snap your hand off.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Chrisblor
April 7, 2015, 10:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Yeah, I imagine they're all distraught about playing teams like Portsmouth, Tranmere and Plymouth when they could be down here playing Dartford, Nuneaton, Eastleigh, Welling etc.

I see you've neglected to mention Luton as well who are 1 point outside the playoffs with 5 games remaining.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
aldi_01
April 7, 2015, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The argument can work the other way, Newport are in a play off place, luton flirted with it (we all knew John still's one dimensional play would get figured out by better teams), fleetwood and Crawley both went up, Daggers did and then came down so as well as struggling we could equally do well...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Abdul19
April 7, 2015, 10:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Stevenage too

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Brisbane Mariner
April 8, 2015, 12:13am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
lets get there first then worry about it - There's a lot of football to shape our season yet! I do think that if we go we may well be a solid mid table but look to invest and improve over the next 2 - 3 years. I don't have an issue with being a solid performer in L2 if it gets us on a pathway to better things.

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 16
Brisbane Mariner
April 8, 2015, 12:13am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
lets get there first then worry about it - There's a lot of football to shape our season yet! I do think that if we go we may well be a solid mid table but look to invest and improve over the next 2 - 3 years. I don't have an issue with being a solid performer in L2 if it gets us on a pathway to better things.

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 16
SpudUDontLike
April 8, 2015, 12:21am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Having studied the history books over the last couple of minutes, it seems that promoted clubs quite often find themselves playing higher quality teams in their new division.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Rodley Mariner
April 8, 2015, 12:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
Having studied the history books over the last couple of minutes, it seems that promoted clubs quite often find themselves playing higher quality teams in their new division.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
bobbyturtle
April 8, 2015, 1:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
what?

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
HackneyHaddock
April 8, 2015, 1:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I bet Bournemouth fans are bricking it in case they go up and have to face Man Utd and Chelsea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Fcukthescunts
April 8, 2015, 8:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Let's get there first. #believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
aldi_01
April 8, 2015, 8:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In reality Bournemouth fans probably are a tad worried about going up. Yes they'll enjoy every minute but long term it could be detrimental to the club.

They've already nearly been wound up and faced sanctions for it. Not to mention the businesses they owed money too that never got anything even when they became financially safe, going up could start the whole thing all over again.

Is it worth the risk? Probably but there still has to be some understandable caution...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
acko338
April 8, 2015, 8:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I'll discuss it further after the middle of May, when my thought process will be loads clearer, I'll have finished my holiday and will have celebrated or suffered, and my finger nails will have recovered and regrown !!

I pray that it's automatic, as I'm abroad for the play off period and it could ruin the holiday for my other half if I'm grumpy !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
grimps
April 8, 2015, 9:00am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Of Bournemouth was sensible and kept the same team if they got promoted they'd have no problems , give that team a healthy pay rise , say 50% . Then save the rest which would keep set a club like them up for life. The problems come when promoted teams start to spend silly money on average players and still get relegated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
gary_elton
April 8, 2015, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
"Small" clubs that went up to the Prem... Barnsley  and  Bradford , and Leeds...  not exactly done them much good,
unless we had a 50,000 stadium it wouldnt be worth it for Town... we'll still be a a 3 sided BP in twenty years....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
TownSNAFU5
April 8, 2015, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I think that promotion brings new benefits and risks.  Change can be good or bad.  It is better to be there than not at all.  

A real problem is complacency and managing heightened expectations.  I remember Charlton being mid-table in the Premiership for a few seasons.  Quite a few of their fans were getting fed-up.  When they slipped down the leagues, they soon realised what they taken for granted and sorely missed.

Similar to Town when we were in the Championship and playing Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle. Now we play teams that we have not heard of before and do not know where they are in the country.

Any chance of promotion should be taken - whatever the perceived risks of this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Life after promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.