3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Rick12
April 7, 2015, 6:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I know its still a fair bit of but be interested what fellow mariners think of the fight.Personally think it will be a great fight but Mayweather still takes it on points.Would love Manny to win but feel his boxing skills arent up to Mayweathers.Having said that this could be Mayweathers toughest fight yet due to Mannys speed and the improved version of Pacquiao compared to years gone by when he was more reckless.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
April 7, 2015, 7:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Agree with Mayweather on points. Think his defence will just be too good. Hope Pacman does it though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
cmackenzie4
April 7, 2015, 7:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
If anybody can win Mayweather pacman can, but I think Mayweather will take it on points, pacman needs to be at his best if he is to stand a chance, the thing is Mayweather is so difficult to land a punch on due to his slick defences as well as holding when he needs to, pacman could do it though because he has very fast hands and is a very good puncher.

Mayweather on points though unfortunately.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
cmackenzie4
May 2, 2015, 4:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just sat watching the build up to tonight's fight, really hope Pacquiao does it, he seems a down to earth lad and a true warrior. Let's hope Mayweather has an off night.

C, Mon Pacquiao!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Rick12
May 2, 2015, 6:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Just sat watching the build up to tonight's fight, really hope Pacquiao does it, he seems a down to earth lad and a true warrior. Let's hope Mayweather as an off night.

C, Mon Pacquiao!
Been watching the build up shows and I have to say been very impressed by Floyds attitude.Will to win is excellent.Hence he is reaping the fruits of his labour eg the worlds highest earning athlete of 2014 earning around 69 million pounds.May the best man win.Really looking forward to this and just glad the fight has come off

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Abdul19
May 2, 2015, 7:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Mayweather is a cunt, but I think he'll win. Defensive masterclass, PH style

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Mariner Timsky
May 2, 2015, 9:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Anyone have a decent online link?? What time is the fight set to start??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
LH
May 2, 2015, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Walking at 0400 apparently. Mayweather is a male private but will win. I would love Pacquaio to knock ten bells of excrement out of him but Floyd is 47/0 for a reason.

Just as an aside Rick12 - have you ever said anything remotely against the grain or even a bit negative? The way you type on here makes me think you're the most postive person in the world who would never say anything to upset anyone!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Rick12
May 3, 2015, 7:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
Walking at 0400 apparently. Mayweather is a male private but will win. I would love Pacquaio to knock ten bells of excrement out of him but Floyd is 47/0 for a reason.

Just as an aside Rick12 - have you ever said anything remotely against the grain or even a bit negative? The way you type on here makes me think you're the most postive person in the world who would never say anything to upset anyone!
   Yes but I prefer to keep it constructive .Think pure criticism dont help anyone.

As for the fight gutted for Manny as I thought he would have put up more of a fight and tested Mayweather more

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
LH
May 3, 2015, 11:15am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Agree with that about constructive criticism unfortunately for football fans especially it's easier to just say someone is excrement and leave it at that.

As for the boxing it wasn't a spectacle but it was brilliant from Mayweather. For him to say he is up there with the all time greats is pushing it a bit though imo. If you pay £20 for the privilege of watching it you at least want to see both fighters going for it! A knockdown or two wouldn't have been bad either but I wasn't expecting much from the Chelsea of boxing.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2015, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
I think he's got a genuine claim to be one of the top 10 of all time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Marinerz93
May 3, 2015, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
No doubting Mayweather is a very clever boxer but I don't see him as good enough for all time top 10.

Pacquiao had an MRI 3 weeks before this fight and was recovering from a tear in his right shoulder.  It is argued that the ref refused Pacquiao an injection pre fight.  

The reason why I say Mayweather is a clever boxer and not one of the all time greats is because of his fighting style.  He doesn't box (counter punch's) his way out of an attack by his opponent, no, he runs away or holds.  If Mayweather was a great a fighter as some claim why does he never go toe to toe.

Mayweather uses his reach to pick opponents off and runs around the ring avoiding getting hit.  In his fight with Hatton, the ref saved Mayweather on several occasions and it was the ref who stopped Hatton's style of fighting.

Mayweather is a clever boxer not an all time great.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Rick12
May 3, 2015, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
No doubting Mayweather is a very clever boxer but I don't see him as good enough for all time top 10.

Pacquiao had an MRI 3 weeks before this fight and was recovering from a tear in his right shoulder.  It is argued that the ref refused Pacquiao an injection pre fight.  

Iam not completely buying that though because nothing was said about it even up until Friday of fight week and like the boxing/medical authorities said Pacquaio put in a form claiming nothing was wrong with him in the last week of the fight.If he would of been honest and if it was a real concern he should have owned up and like the authorising bodies said a injection could have been given.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
cmackenzie4
May 3, 2015, 11:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I would class Mayweather as an all time great, He has beat everyone he's fought, He has a record of 48 unbeaten and that is amazing! he has fought all the best out there, I don't paticularly like his style or the way he presents himself but there is no doubting he has excellent boxing skills.

Khan & Mayweather is the fight i want to see.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 4, 2015, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I would class Mayweather as an all time great, He has beat everyone he's fought, He has a record of 48 unbeaten and that is amazing! he has fought all the best out there, I don't paticularly like his style or the way he presents himself but there is no doubting he has excellent boxing skills.

Totally agree with all of that. Would just add four-weight world champion and that not only has he beaten everyone out there but he's beaten them easily and has barely taken a punch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Marinerz93
May 4, 2015, 7:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 7:03am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Best fight for Mayweather considering he has beaten all the rest.However I can see Khan getting beat quite comfortably.Only fighter(s) that have truly pushed Mayweather in my opinion has been the first Castillo fight and De La Hoya

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The reason why I say Mayweather is a clever boxer and not one of the all time greats is because of his fighting style.  He doesn't box (counter punch's) his way out of an attack by his opponent, no, he runs away or holds.  If Mayweather was a great a fighter as some claim why does he never go toe to toe.

Mayweather uses his reach to pick opponents off and runs around the ring avoiding getting hit.  In his fight with Hatton, the ref saved Mayweather on several occasions and it was the ref who stopped Hatton's style of fighting.

Mayweather is a clever boxer not an all time great.
To be fair to Pac Man was at a disadvantage in the fight having listened to more medical  evidence. But had the fight gone ahead 5 years earlier when both were in their prime still would have fancied Mayweather

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2015, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

That's one opinion. Perfectly valid but one opinion. Here's another, where respected Telegraph boxing correspondent Gareth Davies placed Mayweather 9th in his all time list before Saturday's fight:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo.....s.html?frame=2719573

He might not be great to watch and he might be a sharp object but his record and his achievements are unbelievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Marinerz93
May 5, 2015, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

That's one opinion. Perfectly valid but one opinion. Here's another, where respected Telegraph boxing correspondent Gareth Davies placed Mayweather 9th in his all time list before Saturday's fight:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo.....s.html?frame=2719573

He might not be great to watch and he might be a sharp object but his record and his achievements are unbelievable.

He'll never be a great boxer in my eyes, there is more clever workings going on behind the scenes and the Hatton fight was a prime example of that.  The American referee stopped Hatton from fighting and protected Mayweather.

The amount of running away and hugging Mayweather does and gets away with, makes him an unpopular champion.  He has more critics for his style of boxing than people blowing smoke up his rear end.

But what does he care, a multi mega millionaire with impressive records, in years to come only people in boxing will remember how he got those records to others he will be a superstar.

Would I rather watch a film about Sam Langford than Mayweather any day of the week.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2015, 5:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

He'll never be a great boxer in my eyes, there is more clever workings going on behind the scenes and the Hatton fight was a prime example of that.  The American referee stopped Hatton from fighting and protected Mayweather.

The amount of running away and hugging Mayweather does and gets away with, makes him an unpopular champion.  He has more critics for his style of boxing than people blowing smoke up his rear end.

But what does he care, a multi mega millionaire with impressive records, in years to come only people in boxing will remember how he got those records to others he will be a superstar.

Would I rather watch a film about Sam Langford than Mayweather any day of the week.

He completely and utterly outclassed Hatton and we're not discussing how entertaining he is. If you want to suggest the referee had anything to do with that result then I think that seriously undermines your argument. His defence and the angles he creates are as good as anybody ever. He's not always great to watch but if he was that terrible he's done well to just win the highest grossing fight of all time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker

He completely and utterly outclassed Hatton and we're not discussing how entertaining he is. If you want to suggest the referee had anything to do with that result then I think that seriously undermines your argument. His defence and the angles he creates are as good as anybody ever. He's not always great to watch but if he was that terrible he's done well to just win the highest grossing fight of all time.
After the fight was presented with a cheque for 66 million pounds.Unbelievable amount for one nights work but I dont begrudge him it one bit.Earn it the hard way with good honest graft 100% respect

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Maringer
May 5, 2015, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Mayweather = the Chelsea of the boxing world.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 12:38am

Barley Wine Drinker

As I have said all along he is a clever boxer but he can not go toe to toe, he uses his reach to pick opponents off.  The ref in the Hatton fight stopped Hatton getting too close and working Mayweathers body, this wouldn't have happen in the UK, this allowed Mayweather to pick his shots at a superior reach.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Hatton's Mum could have reffed it and Mayweather would still have won that fight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Hatton's Mum could have reffed it and Mayweather would still have won that fight.

A boxer like Mayweather can't take body punches, that's why he fights defensively and at reach were he can pick his opponents off.  Mayweather may have gone on and won on points if someone other than an American Referee had control of the match but we will never know because Hatton's style was stopped.  If you can't see that Hatton was stopped from fighting then we are at polar opposites.

The last time I heard, Hatton is estranged from his mother over money or are you saying 'Money' Mayweather has bought his success?

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 6:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Mayweather can't take body punches yet is a four weight undefeated World Champion? Not sure where you've plucked that 'fact' from. If you think Hatton was anywhere near Mayweather then we are indeed at opposite ends of the argument.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Mayweather can't take body punches yet is a four weight undefeated World Champion? Not sure where you've plucked that 'fact' from. If you think Hatton was anywhere near Mayweather then we are indeed at opposite ends of the argument.

You missed the point and the art of fighting, you like your boxers to hug and skip around the ring, Mayweather is the undisputed champion of the universe.  Why else would he be labelled a 'scared little man' by a former champion.  Mayweather has won half his fights on points, a clever boxer who has crafted his record but for me and many others he'll never be one of the top 10 greatest boxers.  If we were talking about most intelligent then he's No1, because he uses his reach to out score his opponent and not get hit.

He must be the most unpopular champion that has ever lived because of his boring style.

When I watch a world class match, I expect to see more boxing than mincing around the ring and hugging.  I'll leave you to fawn over his 48 wins and amazing 26 knock outs and glorify him however you and others like.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 10:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

You missed the point and the art of fighting, you like your boxers to hug and skip around the ring, Mayweather is the undisputed champion of the universe.  Why else would he be labelled a 'scared little man' by a former champion.  Mayweather has won half his fights on points, a clever boxer who has crafted his record but for me and many others he'll never be one of the top 10 greatest boxers.  If we were talking about most intelligent then he's No1, because he uses his reach to out score his opponent and not get hit.

He must be the most unpopular champion that has ever lived because of his boring style.

When I watch a world class match, I expect to see more boxing than mincing around the ring and hugging.  I'll leave you to fawn over his 48 wins and amazing 26 knock outs and glorify him however you and others like.

What are you on about? Where have I glorified him? For one, I don't like him, I think he's a sharp object. I do think he has a justifiable claim as an all time great which is all I said in this thread. I don't think knockout percentages mean a lot. In fact it suggests a higher skill level to me for him to have a record so good without having knock out power. Using reach advantages and not getting hit are generally considered reasonably sensible tactics by the way. As for any suggestion he's scared? Utter nonsense.  Nearly as ridiculous as suggesting Hatton might have beaten him but for the ref.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
mariner91
May 7, 2015, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Marinerz93

Now I'm no expert but fighting in a way that stops you getting hit probably makes you pretty damned good at boxing.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pacquiao v Mayweather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.