3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2015, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think he's got a genuine claim to be one of the top 10 of all time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Marinerz93
May 3, 2015, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
No doubting Mayweather is a very clever boxer but I don't see him as good enough for all time top 10.

Pacquiao had an MRI 3 weeks before this fight and was recovering from a tear in his right shoulder.  It is argued that the ref refused Pacquiao an injection pre fight.  

The reason why I say Mayweather is a clever boxer and not one of the all time greats is because of his fighting style.  He doesn't box (counter punch's) his way out of an attack by his opponent, no, he runs away or holds.  If Mayweather was a great a fighter as some claim why does he never go toe to toe.

Mayweather uses his reach to pick opponents off and runs around the ring avoiding getting hit.  In his fight with Hatton, the ref saved Mayweather on several occasions and it was the ref who stopped Hatton's style of fighting.

Mayweather is a clever boxer not an all time great.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Rick12
May 3, 2015, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Marinerz93
No doubting Mayweather is a very clever boxer but I don't see him as good enough for all time top 10.

Pacquiao had an MRI 3 weeks before this fight and was recovering from a tear in his right shoulder.  It is argued that the ref refused Pacquiao an injection pre fight.  

Iam not completely buying that though because nothing was said about it even up until Friday of fight week and like the boxing/medical authorities said Pacquaio put in a form claiming nothing was wrong with him in the last week of the fight.If he would of been honest and if it was a real concern he should have owned up and like the authorising bodies said a injection could have been given.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
cmackenzie4
May 3, 2015, 11:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I would class Mayweather as an all time great, He has beat everyone he's fought, He has a record of 48 unbeaten and that is amazing! he has fought all the best out there, I don't paticularly like his style or the way he presents himself but there is no doubting he has excellent boxing skills.

Khan & Mayweather is the fight i want to see.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 4, 2015, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I would class Mayweather as an all time great, He has beat everyone he's fought, He has a record of 48 unbeaten and that is amazing! he has fought all the best out there, I don't paticularly like his style or the way he presents himself but there is no doubting he has excellent boxing skills.

Totally agree with all of that. Would just add four-weight world champion and that not only has he beaten everyone out there but he's beaten them easily and has barely taken a punch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Marinerz93
May 4, 2015, 7:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 7:03am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Best fight for Mayweather considering he has beaten all the rest.However I can see Khan getting beat quite comfortably.Only fighter(s) that have truly pushed Mayweather in my opinion has been the first Castillo fight and De La Hoya

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The reason why I say Mayweather is a clever boxer and not one of the all time greats is because of his fighting style.  He doesn't box (counter punch's) his way out of an attack by his opponent, no, he runs away or holds.  If Mayweather was a great a fighter as some claim why does he never go toe to toe.

Mayweather uses his reach to pick opponents off and runs around the ring avoiding getting hit.  In his fight with Hatton, the ref saved Mayweather on several occasions and it was the ref who stopped Hatton's style of fighting.

Mayweather is a clever boxer not an all time great.
To be fair to Pac Man was at a disadvantage in the fight having listened to more medical  evidence. But had the fight gone ahead 5 years earlier when both were in their prime still would have fancied Mayweather

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2015, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

That's one opinion. Perfectly valid but one opinion. Here's another, where respected Telegraph boxing correspondent Gareth Davies placed Mayweather 9th in his all time list before Saturday's fight:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo.....s.html?frame=2719573

He might not be great to watch and he might be a sharp object but his record and his achievements are unbelievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Marinerz93
May 5, 2015, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

That's one opinion. Perfectly valid but one opinion. Here's another, where respected Telegraph boxing correspondent Gareth Davies placed Mayweather 9th in his all time list before Saturday's fight:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo.....s.html?frame=2719573

He might not be great to watch and he might be a sharp object but his record and his achievements are unbelievable.

He'll never be a great boxer in my eyes, there is more clever workings going on behind the scenes and the Hatton fight was a prime example of that.  The American referee stopped Hatton from fighting and protected Mayweather.

The amount of running away and hugging Mayweather does and gets away with, makes him an unpopular champion.  He has more critics for his style of boxing than people blowing smoke up his rear end.

But what does he care, a multi mega millionaire with impressive records, in years to come only people in boxing will remember how he got those records to others he will be a superstar.

Would I rather watch a film about Sam Langford than Mayweather any day of the week.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pacquiao v Mayweather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.