This thread currently has 9,087 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 4, 2015, 9:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
We can't blame the ref really but he did have a very poor game.

What really annoyed me was that not once did he warn their keeper for his constant timewasting. I always thought keepers were allowed 5-6 seconds to release the ball but he was constantly holding onto it for far longer than that and as he was never warned continued to do this until the end of the game,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
TownSNAFU5
April 4, 2015, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
A combination today of poor refereeing/their gamesmanship and the silly fouls we kept giving away.
In the second Brown was about to tackle their (good) no 27 when he just fell to the ground and got the fee-kick.

We still had chances to win the game but did not take them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
Tinymariner
April 4, 2015, 10:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I thought the 25 - 30 'fouls' says it all. There were niggles but the Gateshead players conned the ref throughout the game, that or he couldn't wait to give them everything and virtually nothing of any note in their half for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
April 4, 2015, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 120790
Didn't let the game flow?

Errr I think you will find our 25 - 30 fouls stopped the game flowing

That's about his interpretation of things though. I didn't think they were all fouls by a long shot, and even then, you don't have to give a free kick, you can at least try to play an advantage. He looked to give everything, thus spoiling the game.
And, yes next Saturday I'll be in the middle for a glamorous UCL match, so I can speak as someone who puts themselves in that position on a regular basis.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
mariner91
April 4, 2015, 11:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

That's about his interpretation of things though. I didn't think they were all fouls by a long shot, and even then, you don't have to give a free kick, you can at least try to play an advantage. He looked to give everything, thus spoiling the game.
And, yes next Saturday I'll be in the middle for a glamorous UCL match, so I can speak as someone who puts themselves in that position on a regular basis.

I trust your judgement, I've had worse refs .

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
RichMariner
April 5, 2015, 2:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Each time two players came together, the Gateshead player would hit the ground. Result? Gateshead free kick. Every time - hence that stat of 25-30 fouls.

There were occasions when our players were fouled in similar fashion. Nothing doing. Arnold being fouled in the lead-up to their second being a case in point.

The ref looked like he'd recently graduated from ref school and wanted to make a decision on everything, even when there were 50/50s that needed no decision. Didn't once let the game flow, never played advantage.

He was petty, and just one of those that fell for the gamesmanship employed by Gateshead. Sadly these refs pop up from time to time and it's annoying.

Having said all that, I don't believe he influenced the final result. He was very poor, easily influenced - and what Pearson was booked for I'll never know. Seemed to gesture that Rankine led with his elbow, which he did. Unless I missed something.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
April 5, 2015, 3:26am
Guest User
Look if we engineerd more goals than they scored then the free kicks we constantly gave away are irrelevant. But we didn't

We let the ball loose too frequently resulting in our players putting in their body and limbs into positions that invited free kick decisions which were far too often simply free kicks.

Too often we bothered players and fouled Gateshead players when frankly the Gateshead player could  do no harm. In such instances I found my self shouting "don't dive in, leave him alone, don't foul", but alas, our players would dive in, giving away flouls. It was being really naive in the challenge.

Let's not be daft about it. YES they committed fouls too and the referee was  wry consistent in a acting on what he saw. Hey he gave a red card to one of theirs, not ours.

As fans we have to man up a bit and accept that on the whole the ref did a grand job
Reply: 36 - 63
Mrs Doyle
April 5, 2015, 5:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Sorry but you are wrong the ref did influence the game Arnold was clearly fouled in the build up to their second goal.

"Too often we bothered players" ???

WTF it's YOU who needs to "man up"

Its a contact sport you sit off players at your peril give me a Scotty Brown any day.

As for diving in I just wish somebody had done that outside the box for their first goal that was a massive error from our usually good defence.

"Grand job" my backside

Poor ref in my eyes and lots of others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
Garth
April 5, 2015, 9:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from 120790
Look if we engineerd more goals than they scored then the free kicks we constantly gave away are irrelevant. But we didn't

We let the ball loose too frequently resulting in our players putting in their body and limbs into positions that invited free kick decisions which were far too often simply free kicks.

Too often we bothered players and fouled Gateshead players when frankly the Gateshead player could  do no harm. In such instances I found my self shouting "don't dive in, leave him alone, don't foul", but alas, our players would dive in, giving away flouls. It was being really naive in the challenge.

Let's not be daft about it. YES they committed fouls too and the referee was  wry consistent in a acting on what he saw. Hey he gave a red card to one of theirs, not ours.

As fans we have to man up a bit and accept that on the whole the ref did a grand job

Yeh! you are right and we other five thousand plus don`t understand and need to man up, my appologies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
April 5, 2015, 9:21am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Be interested to know what the other qualified refs on here thought. I try not to criticise, but felt he demonstrated a number of qualities that are not what I'd want to see in the game.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.