Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It DOES feel different.......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 186 Guests

It DOES feel different.......

This thread currently has 3,951 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
April 2, 2015, 2:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
In the last two seasons we have made the play offs but it hasnt really felt like we would go up (well, not to me anyway). They never felt like promotion seasons.

I remain in the camp that believes nothing is guaranteed and that we are not favorites for promotion however, this time it does seem different.

For the first time in years we are taking very good away followings, those fans are noisey and supportive. EVEN on here the negativity has waned (in some cases, disappeared).

250+ at Dover on a Tuesday night, nigh on 1000 at Barnet plus the inflatables, wigs etc have all added to the feel good factor.

May have to do it via the play offs but if we do i think we will make a better fist of it than the last two, or even 3, attempts.

C'MON TOWN

UTM

Private Message
jonnyboy82
April 2, 2015, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
I don't class my self as negative maybe was just fed up of being let down but I must agree that this time last season feels completely different than this season..

Do I believe well yes and I do think we can do it but I think these two games against Gateshead and alfreton could make us top of the league and that's all we can ask as town fans..

See you at BP and alfreton  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
lew chaterleys lover
April 2, 2015, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from BIGChris
In the last two seasons we have made the play offs but it hasnt really felt like we would go up (well, not to me anyway). They never felt like promotion seasons.

I remain in the camp that believes nothing is guaranteed and that we are not favorites for promotion however, this time it does seem different.

For the first time in years we are taking very good away followings, those fans are noisey and supportive. EVEN on here the negativity has waned (in some cases, disappeared).

250+ at Dover on a Tuesday night, nigh on 1000 at Barnet plus the inflatables, wigs etc have all added to the feel good factor.

May have to do it via the play offs but if we do i think we will make a better fist of it than the last two, or even 3, attempts.

C'MON TOWN

UTM

I tend to be negative, but that is simply because I do have a negative personality. There is nothing wrong with that, and to comfort myself I say I have a realistic and pragmatic outlook on most things.

I can guarantee that even negative people like me are thrilled that we are in with a real chance, but I would argue that it is only in the last half a dozen games has it felt like a promotion season.

The first promotion season for me was 1970/71 and that felt like a promotion season from the moment we won the first game v Scunny 4-1 and the feeling just got stronger and stronger.

When we lost to Bristol Rovers, even the most positive people must have struggled to give us a chance of the title, but it is fantastic everything has changed around in such a short time.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
acko338
April 2, 2015, 2:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
If we manage to hit the top spot over this holiday weekend with results going our way, THEN I will have the belief that it's ours to lose. At the moment, we still need both other teams to drop some points, either draws or losses and we need 15 points to complete a superb winning run to the end of the season.

If we achieve 15 points and still stay 2nd or 3rd, then we are set for the play offs with a strong squad and the best team in the division over the full season will be automatically promoted.

I still think that both other teams will stumble slightly in their run ins against any team needing points to stave off relegation - it's only one draw for each rival and us to win the lot - dead easy, really ?????

Who would be a fan??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
BIGChris
April 2, 2015, 2:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6

I tend to be negative, but that is simply because I do have a negative personality. There is nothing wrong with that, and to comfort myself I say I have a realistic and pragmatic outlook on most things.

I can guarantee that even negative people like me are thrilled that we are in with a real chance, but I would argue that it is only in the last half a dozen games has it felt like a promotion season.

The first promotion season for me was 1970/71 and that felt like a promotion season from the moment we won the first game v Scunny 4-1 and the feeling just got stronger and stronger.

When we lost to Bristol Rovers, even the most positive people must have struggled to give us a chance of the title, but it is fantastic everything has changed around in such a short time.

See you can't even get that right!

1971-72

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
TownSNAFU5
April 2, 2015, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We have a collective confidence, belief and a hard to define sense that "our time is now, after many years of struggling and disappointment".

The timing, momentum, and an impressive number of wins, of our run to a point off top position could not have been better. We all hope it continues for 5 more games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
cmackenzie4
April 2, 2015, 2:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
We have the team to do it this season, I like the team spirit the players have at the moment, we have the experience throughout the team too, I really hope we win the league though because we deserve it.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
big al
April 2, 2015, 2:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
I just feel people should ride this wave of positivity. When we went down to Newport for the second leg of the play-offs I think everyone knew we were on a hiding to nothing and in a few minutes we were proven correct. I do bet on football. I don't have any money at the moment but if you gave me £500 quid and said I had to stick it on us or Barnet or Rovers I would seriously put it on us even as an even bet. The 2-1 price for town is really good value to be champions. I bet quite a few Barnet fans would put their money on Town if push came to shove. Don't think anyone one who is talking about being champions is getting ahead of themselves. If we lose/draw on Saturday and results go against us then everything changes but we are the team with the momentum at the minute. Barnet win 5-0 then blow it in the 94th minute of the next game.

If we all mouth off about being champions and going up, and it doesn't happen then at least we enjoyed feeling like winners for a while. Imagine what it's going to feel like when we are champions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
ginnywings
April 2, 2015, 3:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
All it took was a striker to put away the chances as we create loads of them. Had we got one sooner, i think we'd be all but Champions already. It does definitely feel different now but we are on a knife edge and can't afford to slip up.

I fear that we may have left it just a tad too late and if we don't go up from here, the hurt will be worse than ever.

Sorry if that sounds negative but in a league with only one automatic promotion spot, there is not much margin for error. I almost feel like it is easier to get promoted from league 2 than it is from the Conference.

On a more positive note, i think we have the best squad in the league now and if we play to our capabilities on any given day, we will beat anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
grimsby pete
April 2, 2015, 3:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think we have made a big jump this season,

It did not seem that at the beginning of the season,

BUT

We now have a promotion team either as champions or by the play offs,

Paul Hurst has grown into the job and has become more positive with his team selections,

We have got 11 top class players in the team plus 5 others on the bench,

Ross Hannah would walk into most teams in this league and he can not get on the bench,

I always say I am positive even though I don't always believe it myself,

BUT

I really feel positive now, honest !!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
diehardmariner
April 2, 2015, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Completely agree it feels different, completely different.

Last two seasons it's felt like we've fell over the line having used all our energy way too early in the season.  I looked on enviously both years at teams who had form and momentum going in.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Garth
April 2, 2015, 5:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Lets put it this way, we go into games now expecting at least a draw and fairly  confident of a win. Why,  because this is a team of fighters who give their all for Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2015, 7:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The difference has come mainly from the signing of a striker who can not only knock in a goal but has skill enough to join attacks together. Any side that has someone like Palmer will have more belief than one that goes through the motions of playing the ball in the box and just hoping which is what we were before he came. He is an infectious personality too and that galvanised the supporters just at the point where faith might have waned altogether. Palmer's not perfect but he's the perfect player for Town just now.

Hurst deserves credit for signing Palmer and for eventually realising a basic and consistent formation gets results. Freeing Disley to get into the box more often was an obvious thing to do and his goals have been a bonus. As someone has said, a good striker signed early in the season and we might have settled into the winning routine a lot sooner and be away at the top.

On the other hand, some time ago I said that the promotion season 1961-2 proved that a good run in means a lot. That side was mid-table at Christmas with a lot of criticism then suddenly sparked in the New Year with Rafferty and Portwood seeming unable to stop scoring. A repeat of that would be brilliant.

One other thing - has anyone noticed that the injury list isn't as long when we're winning?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
dapperz fun pub
April 3, 2015, 11:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Couldn't agree more other season s we have brought in wasters like Brodie and the wheels have fell off ,palmer as rejuvenated the season IMO and credit to Hurst for that but success is promotion anything other is failure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
essexexile
April 3, 2015, 1:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
For me Olly's been the catalyst for this run. Town are now a team with him and more or less every time he gets it you think something's gonna happen. Couldn't say that before and I think JP and Nathan are showing more too with Diz having more confidence to gamble. Cum on Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
TownSNAFU5
April 3, 2015, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Our early home record against lower-table teams nearly finished all our promotion chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It DOES feel different.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.