This thread currently has 8,308 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
March 29, 2015, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Like it or not you DO need money it is essential you also need the right personnel no denying the mans passion twenty years in charge of a small village team takes some dedication. Nice to see the under dog making the head lines we did just that for many a year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Caesar
March 29, 2015, 9:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from immariner
Granted, it's hardly Man City-esque proportions but it's all very relative. They are bankrolled significantly by the Allam family, without whose backing, they would be many rungs in the football ladder lower and in no way would they be able to afford their Conference-standard squad. 'Financial Fair Play' needs to come in at all levels of the game. I don't need to remind anyone of the countless clubs who have spent WAY beyond their means for it to all go mammaries up. Lower league football fans should not be toasting clubs who achieve success that way.

Especially when you compare them to the club they have just beaten. Supporter-owned and sustainably-ran. The model that I would love to see all clubs replicate. Probably more in hope than expectation. This will always be a very polarising subject so I'm going to bow out here.

I actually agree with you in a sense, I want all clubs to be sustainably run and admire Wrexham for that reason actually.  However I think Financial Fair Play is a good idea being badly implemented as if it means no outside investment the current established order would never be changed.  Man Utd would never be challenged as they could always spend more on wages and transfer fees and with no team close to challenging them, and we would see this at different levels all through the leagues.  There needs to be a mix between having a well run sustainable football club that can also have significant investment to boost their resources to challenge higher up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
BIGChris
March 30, 2015, 7:24am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Some interesting views re investment & ownership.

I have long held the view that the best way forward is shared ownership but that must include fans. Wrexhams situation was born out of necessity, and although I admire their stance they have found that without external investment they will struggle to compete at the 5th tier. That is the harsh reality!

Well done to North Ferriby though enjoyed the latter part of he game and the penalty shoot out
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
chaos33
March 30, 2015, 7:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Agree BC

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
oldun
March 30, 2015, 8:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Try telling N Ferriby that the trophy is a tinpot competition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
fishheadphil
March 30, 2015, 9:14am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Reading some of the negative comments about this great day for these minnows is really depressing, why can't you just be happy for them? Says a lot more about you than it does about their so called tinpot status. Good on them hope they get promoted too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
gary_elton
March 30, 2015, 9:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Well done North Ferriby...  sticking one over Johnny Foreigner....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
immariner
March 30, 2015, 10:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from fishheadphil
Reading some of the negative comments about this great day for these minnows is really depressing, why can't you just be happy for them? Says a lot more about you than it does about their so called tinpot status. Good on them hope they get promoted too.

Hardly, you've got it all backward. Shows how much I care about the game, how I think it should be sustainable and how it should be a level playing field. There's nothing depressing about having morals Phil.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
immariner
March 30, 2015, 10:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from BIGChris
Some interesting views re investment & ownership.

I have long held the view that the best way forward is shared ownership but that must include fans. Wrexhams situation was born out of necessity, and although I admire their stance they have found that without external investment they will struggle to compete at the 5th tier. That is the harsh reality!

Well done to North Ferriby though enjoyed the latter part of he game and the penalty shoot out

I agree. If there were rules in place regarding % of turnover to playing budget I think you'd see a lot more supporter-ownership and then Wrexham's budget (which frankly should see them in the play-offs regardless) would be a lot healthier relative to the others'. Nothing wrong with sensible capital investment being allowed.

You can't take it away from their players, it was a good achievement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
fishheadphil
March 30, 2015, 10:52am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from immariner

Hardly, you've got it all backward. Shows how much I care about the game, how I think it should be sustainable and how it should be a level playing field. There's nothing depressing about having morals Phil.

I fully support you on those issues, but what my original comment was meant to say was be happy for them!, its not the fans and players fault how clubs are run is it? The depressing bit is they've won a trophy at Wembley against much bigger and illustrious opposition and for that they deserve praise not criticism on here. Yes fair play needs to be across the board but no one moans when its their team benefitting do they? Would you not see us promoted via a few bendings of the rules?  Don't think honest John fenty is beyond criticism?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Trophy Final

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.