3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
nickmariners
March 28, 2015, 6:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
This past season I have been thoroughly re-infected with the Mariners Bug - and I'm loving it.

Can't remember the last time I saw Town play three in a week and win them all -- with gutsy, gritty, professional and committed performances.

Welling were not there for decoration only, they were a big, strong aggressive side, and the pitch was far from friendly -  our team put in a passionate but controlled performance.  We always looked comfortable, even when Welling pushed us back a bit in the second half.  The Welling penalty shout was one of only a couple of occasions when we looked like the defence could be breached.

Lots of good performances: Disley, Magnay, Brown getting back up to speed.  Ollie put in a terrific shift, covered loads of ground. All of them did very well tbf.

I started supporting town in 1969, and I'm enjoying supporting THIS bunch of players as much as those in former glory years.  Their character and honesty means as much to this supporter as their skillset, which ain't bad either.

Amazing support.  Great day out -- great week altogether.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
bobbyturtle
March 28, 2015, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
great post

the fans sounded awesome on the radio

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
sutton mariner
March 28, 2015, 6:22pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Brilliant day out capped off by Barnet getting pegged back in the last minute.

The league is really ours to win

UP THE FCKING MARINERS

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
TownSNAFU5
March 28, 2015, 6:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Well said nickmariners. A good summary.  

I thought that you sat on the fence a bit and could be a tad more complimentary of the Teams results this week.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
mariner91
March 28, 2015, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
Great day out, fantastic from the fans once more. Did anyone hear how many were there? Good professional performance from the team and we never looked in any trouble. Thought the ref got the penalty shout right, didn't look anything like a penalty to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
FishOutOfWater
March 28, 2015, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91
Great day out, fantastic from the fans once more. Did anyone hear how many were there? Good professional performance from the team and we never looked in any trouble. Thought the ref got the penalty shout right, didn't look anything like a penalty to me.

620 Mariners out of just over a thousand

Great turn out and a great reward for all who went there  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 23
nickmariners
March 28, 2015, 6:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Well said nickmariners. A good summary.  

I thought that you sat on the fence a bit and could be a tad more complimentary of the Teams results this week.  

Yeah - I'm measured and well-balanced  in all things (except my diet).

Come on Tooooooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnn!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
grimsby pete
March 28, 2015, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from mariner91

1,004 there of which 620 were Town !!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
northbankmariner
March 28, 2015, 7:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Quoted from grimsby pete

1,004 there of which 620 were Town !!!!!!!!

Fantastic support and credit to the club round of applause to all who went. .

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
oldludensian
March 28, 2015, 7:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Pearson my MOM. He had his head on everything that went near him. Scott Brown a lot better of late even though he looks like he's been at the pie shop - which is encouraging for the run in (his return to form, not his pie eating ability).

Honourable mention for the great little supporters bar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
Mrs Doyle
March 28, 2015, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Great support I bet when the Alfreton equalizer was announced there was another great cheer wish I had been there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
cmackenzie4
March 28, 2015, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from nickmariners
This past season I have been thoroughly re-infected with the Mariners Bug - and I'm loving it.

Can't remember the last time I saw Town play three in a week and win them all -- with gutsy, gritty, professional and committed performances.

Welling were not there for decoration only, they were a big, strong aggressive side, and the pitch was far from friendly -  our team put in a passionate but controlled performance.  We always looked comfortable, even when Welling pushed us back a bit in the second half.  The Welling penalty shout was one of only a couple of occasions when we looked like the defence could be breached.

Lots of good performances: Disley, Magnay, Brown getting back up to speed.  Ollie put in a terrific shift, covered loads of ground. All of them did very well tbf.

I started supporting town in 1969, and I'm enjoying supporting THIS bunch of players as much as those in former glory years.  Their character and honesty means as much to this supporter as their skillset, which ain't bad either.

UTMM

Great post! Thanks Nick.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
thevera
March 28, 2015, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from nickmariners

UTMM

I am sure you have reflected the views of many Town fans in that post and lets hope we can all remain that positive from now to the season's end, and back the squad, manager, board, staff and all associated with GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
heppy88
March 28, 2015, 8:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
All the welling fans we spoke to before the game very complementary towards town and all wished us luck! Very friendly atmosphere, excellent bar. Good view of the pitch from the seated area and a good solid performance by town.
Only my second away game of the season and the wife came along. I was a bit concerned as her last game was Lincoln away, but she thoroughly enjoyed it.
Fantastic atmosphere generated by the town supporters throughout. A real credit to the club and the town. You could see the players really appreciated it and on the full time whistle you would have thought we had won the World Cup by the fans and players reactions.
On the way out of the ground I overheard a group of welling supporters say they thought town are the best team they have seen all season.
Haven't enjoyed football this much for many years. Onwards and upwards!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
sydney
March 28, 2015, 9:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
COME ON TOWN!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
louth_in_the_south
March 28, 2015, 9:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,655
Gold Stars: 94
Yeah the performance was good . All over by half time , bit lucky with the non peno decision for them by the dodgy drop ball loving ref tho . Other than that another easy 3 points . My main point is if we do get promoted there won't be any more half time bars like today which will be a big shame .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Theimperialcoroner
March 28, 2015, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
That away support is something special, and as some have said Welling a nice little club. If we do go up, I shall very much miss places like there. We bossed the game today, stepping up the pace when we had to, despite their agricultural approach. Horrid pitch didn't help much football wise too. Our back line were excellent today, but Matt, you've seen them pens given haven't you? However, if theirs was then so was ours. Ref did give a massive "no penalty" gesture before the lino orgasmically flagged, you get instructed not to do such things so bet he got a bollocking at ht.
Five more wins and we've got a chance. Barnet will be cacking it. Not yet believing, but I'm twitches my a bit.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Caesar
March 28, 2015, 10:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Can't add much to Nick's analysis.  

What an amazing day.  Atmosphere was rocking, but we were very much in control all game I felt, early goal settled us, Dis and Brown completely controlled midfied, Robertson and Magnay were effective going forward and not threatned at the back and the odd play that looked dangerous McKewan was on hand.  Felt our play could of been slightly sharper at times but overall very good.  

The peno shout I thought we were very lucky on watching it live, seeing the replay perhaps I was overly worried but still think it could of been given.  Thought the ref was poor tbh and actually slightly biased towards us really.

The sweet cherry on top was the news coming through about Barnet, if it was your phone I nearly grabbed to see for myself the score I am sorry but thanks!

And well done to PH, I critcised him heavily after Chester but he has kept his head down and got us into a fantastic position! We really can do it! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
barralad
March 28, 2015, 10:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Another excellent day out. There were none of the last ten minute shenanigans of the last few games today with Town continuing to press up the pitch to the end. Welling offered little as an attacking threat other than the free kick which came off the top of the bar and a couple of decent saves forced out of Macca.
Thought Arnold had a very good shout for a penalty in the first half turned down (at least as good as theirs!). I really thought Toto was a gonner for that until it was pointed out to me that had it been a penalty the linesman was flagging for his flag would've been across his chest.

Excellent (and brave in the case of Robertson) performances from the back four. Brown slotting in for Clay very well in a game that suited the way he likes to play. Arnold, Mackreth lively and LJL and Ollie further cementing their partnership up top.-What is there not to like?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Theimperialcoroner
March 28, 2015, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Just a note Barra. The flag across the chest is no more. It's been replaced with a more ambiguous and tbh shitter signal of agitation and movement towards the corner flag, just as today's lino did. He was wrong but at least he got his signal right.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
chicaneuk
March 28, 2015, 11:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
All I can add to todays great win is that I somehow felt that we'd walk away today with a 2-0 win (gleaned purely on the fact that that's the score we beat them by earlier in the season) so put down a £20 bet and walked away with £116. I'm not much of a gambling man, so that's the most I've ever won by far.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
March 28, 2015, 11:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from chicaneuk
All I can add to todays great win is that I somehow felt that we'd walk away today with a 2-0 win (gleaned purely on the fact that that's the score we beat them by earlier in the season) so put down a £20 bet and walked away with £116. I'm not much of a gambling man, so that's the most I've ever won by far.

UTM!

Well done mate, very good performance today. I thought we were generally in control and never really looked in danger. Great result, out lads did us proud again. If we can win the league, I don't know how mad I will be. I am consumed by all things black and white, feel sorry for the wife!
Reply: 21 - 23
mariner91
March 29, 2015, 12:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
That away support is something special, and as some have said Welling a nice little club. If we do go up, I shall very much miss places like there. We bossed the game today, stepping up the pace when we had to, despite their agricultural approach. Horrid pitch didn't help much football wise too. Our back line were excellent today, but Matt, you've seen them pens given haven't you? However, if theirs was then so was ours. Ref did give a massive "no penalty" gesture before the lino orgasmically flagged, you get instructed not to do such things so bet he got a bollocking at ht.
Five more wins and we've got a chance. Barnet will be cacking it. Not yet believing, but I'm twitches my a bit.

I've seen them given but I'd have been very disappointed if it had been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
livosnose
March 29, 2015, 6:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from oldludensian
Pearson my MOM. He had his head on everything that went near him. Scott Brown a lot better of late even though he looks like he's been at the pie shop - which is encouraging for the run in (his return to form, not his pie eating ability).

Honourable mention for the great little supporters bar.

Enjoyed the bar a little too much ...

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back - Welling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.