Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bowler hats, bow ties and false moustaches anyone?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 219 Guests

Bowler hats, bow ties and false moustaches anyone?

This thread currently has 3,377 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
March 23, 2015, 4:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,856
Gold Stars: 42
An idea for a theme for a home or away game this season?

(Stolen from PNE fans at Barnsley last Sat).

Last Sat 2,500 Preston fans looked like a cross between Clockwork Orange droogs and Homepride flourmen according to the national papers today.   Many fans were festooned with bowler hats, pinstripe suits, bow ties and false moustaches and were a sight to behold.  

The theme originated as Preston's annual Gentry Day, pioneered by Alan Ball Senior, their former manager, who in 1970 said that "Preston fans are the best, they are the gentry".  These days the occasion is also used to remember fans who are no longer with us.

We could use this or a similar theme to a) be ironic as to others' poor perceptions of Grimsby as a town, b) be ironic as to some perceptions of our fans' behaviour (after Burton) and c) remember and commemorate some very loyal Town fans who have lost their lives over recent years.

Any thoughts?  Is it a practical idea that would have support? We would at least be the most smartly-dressed fans on the day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
March 23, 2015, 4:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
Why don't we just start playing "you'll never walk alone", taking celery to matches and singing "no-one likes us"?

Not having a dig, but if you're having to force stuff like this and steal from other clubs & shoehorn some GTFC reference in, you might as well not bother!

Barnet was great, Woking too, Eastleigh was a decent idea the hi-vis at alfreton is another goodun, but intercourse me - can we just step back a minute and think about why most of that happened?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
chaos33
March 23, 2015, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Yeah I do agree Ska, as I did with you over the 'clapping at 10 minutes' to mark the year we were relegated . It's starting to look a bit contrived to me now. Why don't we just show up in big numbers, and make lots of noise with plenty of black and white on show?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
GiveUsAG
March 23, 2015, 5:24pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I have to agree with Ska and Chaos on this one. I love these themed match days, but it seems they're losing the novelty.

The away games, it was said that will happen away until the end of the season, so would make sense to carry on the themes for away games for the rest of this season. But, we need to be more original.

Scarves at the park, would be good enough for the remaining 3 home games.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
mariner91
March 23, 2015, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Black and white scarves at the park. Lots of fans and lots of noise both home and away. Hi vis jackets at Alfreton. Sorted  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Mrs Doyle
March 23, 2015, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Yeah it's lost a lot of it's novelty, the only one I would make an exception to would be an away day play off at FGR if it happened. The high viz and inflatables plus a coloured Beeny hat would mean something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
GiveUsAG
March 23, 2015, 5:51pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Yeah it's lost a lot of it's novelty, the only one I would make an exception to would be an away day play off at FGR if it happened. The high viz and inflatables plus a coloured Beeny hat would mean something.

Posters of beef, pork and lamb too.

Oh and torches, for when the floodlights go out.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
immariner
March 23, 2015, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
The idea has already been set for suited and booted at Southport and for kinda similar reasons to what you've said, with no mention of Preston. There's no need to emulate anybody.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
big al
March 23, 2015, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
All very contrived now, especially trying to find an appropriate time for clapping. I hate all these nicked references to be honest. I know people are going to slam me for saying it but I particularly hate that 'posnan' thing. Nicking from a premiership team who nicked it off another team.

Think the hi vis thing makes some sense and it should look good. I'll be doing that one but a lot of these other ideas are trying too hard. We barely sing 'when we're fishing anymore' which saddens me because it really means something ... Not all this nicked Italian nonsense.

I normally come on here telling other people to lighten up. Grimsby is a very unique place .... We should be able to celebrate the fact in a witty and original way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
immariner
March 23, 2015, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Nice one Al. I think your views will be shared by a lot of posters over the age of about 21. I admire the enthusiasm very much of these younger guys, but they're trying a bit too hard to be like everyone else. You just have to look at videos of our fans chanting to get similar views from opposition supporters. Not that I want to turn this into 'bash the young uns' but it all smacks of clone culture. Let's be ourselves eh.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
Fcukthescunts
March 23, 2015, 8:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
I think we just need to stick to simple themes that were sorted weeks ago. Hi viz at Alferton and suit & Boot at Southport.
Should we play Barnet in play off then that should be inflatables and if FGR then inflatables plus Hi viz.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
HackneyHaddock
March 23, 2015, 9:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
It's fun to learn what happens at other clubs, but I also agree with others who would like us to keep it original, which is what has worked well so far.

I think for now, just keep the scarves at the park thing going and try to turn that into some sort of pre-match ritual/routine.  From then on, perhaps the club could look at having an annual vintage/retro day, where the club celebrates the heritage of the town, remembers fans no longer with us, and rekindles memories.  That could work well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
ska face
March 23, 2015, 10:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing but admiration for these young lads. They're the absolute balderdash and have made aways more fun than I've had for years.

It's the recent spate of suggestions on here that aren't much cop.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
immariner
March 23, 2015, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
I agree. They've done an amazing job at improving the atmosphere away from home. It would be great to hear a few more classic Town songs and maybe some original new ones.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Brisbane Mariner
March 24, 2015, 1:52am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
The old trawlermen used to go to sea in a suit and tie and flat cap, and they'd dock in the same gear - who needs a bowler hat!

And to the point well made - why be like everyone else. Black and White scarves, Harry Haddocks and 'Sing when we're fishing!' will do nicely!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 19
Mrs Doyle
March 24, 2015, 3:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The old Pontoon fish workers white coats anyone?  oh yeah that was old school lol. Nah scarves will do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 24, 2015, 5:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ska face
Why don't we just start playing "you'll never walk alone", taking celery to matches and singing "no-one likes us"?

I remember back in the late 80's especially, we used to sing the 1st and 3rd of these in the ponny (les?) mate.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
March 24, 2015, 4:38pm
Guest User
Home games,  ALL Black and WHITE plus as many Harry H's as possible, make BP a Black and White fortress as it used to be . c'mon Town back to the league.
Reply: 17 - 19
gary_elton
March 24, 2015, 4:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
As has been said... let's do our own thing... Preston prob nicked the idea of a fans dress-up day from us anyway....    UTFM  !!!!  Hi Viz at Alfreton  !!!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Les Brechin
March 24, 2015, 11:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I remember back in the late 80's especially, we used to sing the 1st and 3rd of these in the ponny (les?) mate.

Yeah defintely but the "You'll Never Walk Alone" was nothing like the way the Liverpool fans sing it. It was like a disjointed version of the song. "You'll Nev---er Walk----Alone, You'll Nev--er Walk---Al--one.

If that makes sense.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bowler hats, bow ties and false moustaches anyone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.