Quagmire
March 20, 2015, 2:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from RichMariner
He can't break up the Palmer/Pittman partnership. Can he?!

He's said Scott Brown can't get back into the team because of the form of Disley and Clay.

So it seems rather unfair if LJL just walked back into the side - especially as Hurst couldn't have asked for more from Palmer and Pittman in his absence.

If I were one of the two, I'd be absolutely devastated to be dropped after doing so well. By all means bring LJL on and change it if it isn't working in the second half, but you've got to say, with 4 goals in 2 games, he's got to go with that. Surely.

This for me.

You have to earn your place back in the side, not just walk back in.

Let's see what Hurst goes with, although reading his comments it seems odds on that LJL will be back in the starting 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
grimsby pete
March 20, 2015, 2:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think this is what will happen,

We start with John Lewis on the bench,

Pittman and Palmer both score in the 1st half,

John Lewis comes on with 10 minutes to go,

He scores with his 1st kick and then scores again from a pen,

Paul Hurst then has a headache who to pick for the Dover game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Les Brechin
March 20, 2015, 2:38pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Just Hope Hurst as the bollix to attack with two strikers up front if he bottles it and plays 451 Easleigh will tear us apart.

It's bloody Eastleigh, not Barcelona!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
Trawler
March 20, 2015, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from RichMariner
He can't break up the Palmer/Pittman partnership. Can he?!

He's said Scott Brown can't get back into the team because of the form of Disley and Clay.

So it seems rather unfair if LJL just walked back into the side - especially as Hurst couldn't have asked for more from Palmer and Pittman in his absence.

If I were one of the two, I'd be absolutely devastated to be dropped after doing so well. By all means bring LJL on and change it if it isn't working in the second half, but you've got to say, with 4 goals in 2 games, he's got to go with that. Surely.

Don't underestimate team spirit right now - the way they are playing for each other, and buying into Hurst's way of thinking should mitigate the devastation.   The players are expected to take it for the team if they don't make the starting 11. PH will already have one eye on keeping all three of them as fresh and fit as possible for the next couple of months.  I suspect if one of Pope or Palmer is to step aside for LJL they will be moved to the bench, only to be subbed on for a decent chunk of the match. So it will still allow the left out striker to show his stuff.  As we head into the tense closing stages of the season there's no better time for intense competition between team mates to make them perform at their highest peak. And don't forget last year it was LJL with one of Cook, Hannah and Tounkara!

I'm counting our blessings we have all three of our improved strike force fighting for the starting line up.

No defence will want to face any combination of them.  

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
diehardmariner
March 20, 2015, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Just Hope Hurst as the bollix to attack with two strikers up front if he bottles it and plays 451 Easleigh will tear us apart.

I always wanted Andy Love to sign for any other team in Town's division and reinvent himself as a deadly striker.

For no other reason that the preview headline could be Love Will Tear Us Apart.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
TownSNAFU5
March 20, 2015, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
After Chester, the manager and team might well be even more determined to win tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
TownSNAFU5
March 20, 2015, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
If Hurst said that Brown can't get in ahead of Disley and Clay, then Brown is even behind Parslow.  well he was at Chester.  (Can I still mention the "C" word?).  

I would like Paddy to be available.  He has also scored goals from midfield and freekicks.  A useful (unused) addition to have in the squad for the run-in. We might suffer from injuries in the same position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
BIGChris
March 20, 2015, 4:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Just had a glance at the OS forum and see 80's Glory is virtually the only poster!

No surprises with his suggested line up for Eastleigh

..........................McKeown
.........Parslow.....Pearson.....Magnay
Mackreth.......Brown......Disley........Jolley
......John-Lewis...Palmer....Hannah

Subs: R'son, Toto, Clay, Arnold, Pittman.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
RichMariner
March 20, 2015, 4:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Quoted from Trawler

Don't underestimate team spirit right now - the way they are playing for each other, and buying into Hurst's way of thinking should mitigate the devastation.   The players are expected to take it for the team if they don't make the starting 11. PH will already have one eye on keeping all three of them as fresh and fit as possible for the next couple of months.  I suspect if one of Pope or Palmer is to step aside for LJL they will be moved to the bench, only to be subbed on for a decent chunk of the match. So it will still allow the left out striker to show his stuff.  As we head into the tense closing stages of the season there's no better time for intense competition between team mates to make them perform at their highest peak. And don't forget last year it was LJL with one of Cook, Hannah and Tounkara!

I'm counting our blessings we have all three of our improved strike force fighting for the starting line up.

No defence will want to face any combination of them.  

I hope you're right - and I can see why Hurst wants to keep all three fit. My concern with this is that Hurst tried rotating his strikers last season - and the season before, with Scott - and it didn't work. His track record in this department leaves a lot to be desired.

By trying to keep them fit he risks overlooking the fact that the Palmer/Pittman partnership has been very successful and should be left to continue.

Stick LJL on the bench and bring him on when we need him in the second half. Then maybe start him at Dover if one of Palmer or Pittman doesn't perform against Eastleigh.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
Les Brechin
March 20, 2015, 4:30pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from BIGChris
Just had a glance at the OS forum and see 80's Glory is virtually the only poster!

No surprises with his suggested line up for Eastleigh

..........................McKeown
.........Parslow.....Pearson.....Magnay
Mackreth.......Brown......Disley........Jolley
......John-Lewis...Palmer....Hannah

Subs: R'son, Toto, Clay, Arnold, Pittman.

Is the man actually sane?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eastleigh

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.