grimsby pete
March 17, 2015, 11:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I am sorry for all the abuse you have been getting on here this week,

I think it is a bit over the top but it's mainly because us fans are frustrated with losing 2 points,

I do honestly think you are too defensive minded so I suggest you follow the old saying,

Fortune follows the Brave,

You might say there are not many managers here on the Fishy,

That's true but I have followed Town for 60 years and I know what a good manager is,

You have got it in you to be a good manager just be a little braver and tell your players,

When we are 2-0 up put the game to bed by scoring a third or fourth,

We know you read The Fishy so if you do not agree with this post just remember this,

Good managers learn by their mistakes,

Anyway lets hope you are our manager next year in L2.

PS   Tell Chris Doig I can see him as a manager in the coming years,

Up  The Mariners !!!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
diehardmariner
March 17, 2015, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,429
Gold Stars: 532
Was it Hurst or Scott who can use a computer?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
arryarryarry
March 17, 2015, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
There may have been some personal abuse but from what I have read the majority have questioned his decision making and yes some including me have called it a crap decision.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Jaws
March 17, 2015, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
The fans should be entitled to think.say whatever they want. It's the fans that have ploughed money into this club for decades, not Hurst.

Under Hurst the club has never made any money or progressed. It's us fans that pay his wages and keep some revenue still going to the club.

We'll still be here in 10 years (if the club is), no matter how well he does I can guarantee he won't be.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Biccys
March 17, 2015, 2:16pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Jaws
The fans should be entitled to think.say whatever they want. It's the fans that have ploughed money into this club for decades, not Hurst.

Under Hurst the club has never made any money or progressed. It's us fans that pay his wages and keep some revenue still going to the club.

We'll still be here in 10 years (if the club is), no matter how well he does I can guarantee he won't be.

Really???

So IF we go up this year, consolidate in a healthy mid-table slot next season, challenge for play offs and make it up after that and then storm league 1 into the Championship where we consistently scare the big sides there and dally with the top reaches of the play offs and make it into the Premier league in 8 years time, you'd sack him.....?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 40
Caesar
March 17, 2015, 2:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Biccys

Really???

So IF we go up this year, consolidate in a healthy mid-table slot next season, challenge for play offs and make it up after that and then storm league 1 into the Championship where we consistently scare the big sides there and dally with the top reaches of the play offs and make it into the Premier league in 8 years time, you'd sack him.....?

Of course, Hurst out banners would flood the Peaks Parkway stadium as all around fans demanded the job be given to our new right back who with just over 100 appearances in professional football is clearly the man for the job.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
arryarryarry
March 17, 2015, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

Really???

If we are 2-0 up in any of those games with 15 minutes to go and he brings Parslow on then yes.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
mimma
March 17, 2015, 3:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
It was the Chester substitutions that made the bigger impact on the outcome.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
excusebeef
March 17, 2015, 3:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
I still say at the time, he made the right decision on the sub. Most teams would park the bus at 4-5-1, just like what others do a BP against us. Difference was we didn't keep the ball like PH said. It wasn't the change that did us, it was how we played after the sub was made. In hindsight, yes its the wrong choice. You only get one chance to get it right.

He even said Ollie was coming back from injury, if the Shop was on the bench he would have gone on instead and we then play 4-5-1. Instead it was long ball to an already tired Pitman.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
ginnywings
March 17, 2015, 3:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Biccys

Really???

Hurst as the new Dario Gradi.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
lobsterpot
March 17, 2015, 3:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Anyone watch Madrid the other night? I know we aint no La Liga giants but they were 2-0 up with half hour to go and brought on strikers for midfielders and went 4 up top! Go for it! 1 in all in!

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
BIGChris
March 17, 2015, 4:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from lobsterpot
Anyone watch Madrid the other night? I know we aint no La Liga giants but they were 2-0 up with half hour to go and brought on strikers for midfielders and went 4 up top! Go for it! 1 in all in!

Was that the Shalke game?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
kingster72
March 17, 2015, 4:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
His abuse is not so much for making the sub, but by not admitting he got it wrong and even worse, saying he would do the same, if 2 up again!  Obviously I hope we end up in L2 next season, either deservedly, or by hook or by crook, but I really hope whatever, Hurst goes in the summer (promotion, or not).  He has the players, but does not know how to get the best out of them.  He was appointed as a partnership for a reason and on his own lacks that edge to dare, he should have gone when it went wrong with Rob Scott.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
barralad
March 17, 2015, 6:08pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from mimma

Christ Almighty, I collected more red crosses than London at the height of The Black Death for suggesting that! How do you do it?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
immariner
March 17, 2015, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Jaws

If you truly believe that first bit then that says a lot about you really. There is such a thing as decency. Paying money at Tesco for your shopping does not give you the right to say anything you like about the shop manager on an online forum, whether he will still be employed there next week, next year or not.
Criticism of the substitution or any other decision is fine, as long as it's reasoned, it's the name calling and abuse, however, which is not acceptable and never will be, unless it is believed Hurst was acting without honesty and integrity. Which would obviously be nonsense.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
Rodley Mariner
March 17, 2015, 8:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Good post. Criticism is fine but I loathe some of the nasty, vindictive personal abuse that comes out of some when things go against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
lukeo
March 18, 2015, 7:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,363
Gold Stars: 143
Quoted from Biccys

Really???

yes. In 8 years time we should be a top 4 premiership club battling it out in the champions league.
pfft talk about low expectations
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
DickBarton
March 18, 2015, 8:22am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from immariner

If you truly believe that first bit then that says a lot about you really. There is such a thing as decency. Paying money at Tesco for your shopping does not give you the right to say anything you like about the shop manager on an online forum, whether he will still be employed there next week, next year or not.
Criticism of the substitution or any other decision is fine, as long as it's reasoned, it's the name calling and abuse, however, which is not acceptable and never will be, unless it is believed Hurst was acting without honesty and integrity. Which would obviously be nonsense.

WOW!! Thanks so much for that. I absolutely agree with every well thought out passionate word.

Well done

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
arryarryarry
March 18, 2015, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma

You could actually say that it was more to do with crap defending by Robertson and Arnold down our left side.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
arryarryarry
March 18, 2015, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from immariner

If you go into Tesco and what you pay for is poor quality and the service is crap then you have every right to give the store manager some sh!t whether it be to his/her face or online.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
Biccys
March 18, 2015, 11:33am
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

If you go into Tesco and what you pay for is poor quality and the service is crap then you have every right to give the store manager some sh!t whether it be to his/her face or online.

No, you're entitled to complain and ask for a refund or replacement but you have no right to give him or her excrement at all. If I was a shop worker/manager and someone came to complain about something and gave me abuse, I'd do the absolute minimum I could do appease them. If they came with a better more respectful attitude, I'd bend over backwards to make sure they came back and spent money in my shop.

There's a growing lack of respect in the country brought about by attitudes like this. Respect is not a dirty word.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 40
Hagrid
March 18, 2015, 11:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from Biccys

No, you're entitled to complain and ask for a refund or replacement but you have no right to give him or her excrement at all. If I was a shop worker/manager and someone came to complain about something and gave me abuse, I'd do the absolute minimum I could do appease them. If they came with a better more respectful attitude, I'd bend over backwards to make sure they came back and spent money in my shop.

There's a growing lack of respect in the country brought about by attitudes like this. Respect is not a dirty word.

fantastic post, I have exactly the same view, In my job sometimes I do get abuse from customers, and this make me not want to help them! if they show just a little bit of respect, you have a mutual ground with them. Some of the abuse PH gets is imo disgusting, but the games gone now and lets just move on to saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
somersetmariner
March 18, 2015, 12:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
go the mods !!!!

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
psgmariner
March 18, 2015, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The Tesco / other workplace environment only stretches so far. Football fans do not act like nor or they treated like ordinary consumers.

If I kept going to a shop and it left me angry and frustrated most time I went (like watching GTFC), I would very quickly decide never to go again.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
mike_d
March 18, 2015, 12:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
There's a huge difference between saying he's made a poor decision and he's a male masturbator/ excrement person/clueless.

Agreed - respect is a huge thing lacking in society today, along with the expectation culture prevalent and promulgated by  "talent" TV shows for example.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
DickBarton
March 18, 2015, 1:59pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

That is NOT how you deal with human beings. You complain of course but you do not have the right to abuse him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
arryarryarry
March 18, 2015, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

You need to read my post, where did I say I would complain to the shop worker, I said the manager in charge.

Obviously I wouldn't actually give him some real sh!t but I reserve the right to vent my frustrations if he/she has clearly failed in their duty.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
arryarryarry
March 18, 2015, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Respect is a two way street, treat your customers like crap, then don't complain when they bite back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Civvy at last
March 18, 2015, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Biccys

I would love to see JFs face with 3500 customers asking for a refund or a free ticket for the next game to replace the one we have just seen.  Nice idea but Ibet he would rather PH get some sh1t comments on a web site.
Sticks and stones etc !!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
DickBarton
March 18, 2015, 10:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

I would love to see JFs face with 3500 customers asking for a refund or a free ticket for the next game to replace the one we have just seen.  Nice idea but Ibet he would rather PH get some sh1t comments on a web site.
Sticks and stones etc !!

3499. Count me out for a refund I support them through thick and thin.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
Teestogreen
March 18, 2015, 10:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
You are a true fan male private

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2015, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Criticism is a perfectly valid option. Personal abuse isn't as I'm sure we'd all agree. I've rarely seen any on this board. I think claims of outrageous personal abuse are blown out of all proportion. There's very little evidence of malicious abuse on here. Heartfelt angst and criticism yes. Plenty. Personal abuse, not much.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
Jaws
March 19, 2015, 2:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Jaws

Let me clarify my points, as it has been received in the wrong context I feel.

The fans should be entitled to think/say whatever they want - by this I meant criticism of tactics, player selection, formation, statements. At no point did I mean abuse or defamation of character of anyone related to the club. Relating to the Tesco example, yes you should be entitled to complain and say what you think of a poor product, but this doesn't entitle you to swear, throw alleged item at a shop-worker.

We shouldn't be calling Hurst/anyone related with the club a clown, useless or any other insult but we are entitled to disagree with his way of thinking or decisions made. Also remember that working in a public facing job when 3,000 people pay to see your work that it should be open to positive/negative criticism. I'm sure we all had our views on the budget, given that it's our taxes and I'm sure people make posts criticising/praising Osbourne. Well I've paid towards the upkeep of my club and I should be allowed my view on decisions made by the club (of which Hurst is a highly visible represenittive)

Regarding the he won't be here in 10 years comment. This wasn't a dig, generally anyone at a club doing well for a few seasons will be poached by someone above for more money ala Slade. If we got up to the Championship in consecutive seasons with this squad and manager, they'd all be poached. Another example is Bennett.

I have been busy and have only just read the posts, I hope this clear things up.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
DickBarton
March 19, 2015, 6:19am

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen
You are a true fan male private

Why  male private?

Criticise me as much as anyone else but cut the personal abuse!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
grimsby pete
March 19, 2015, 10:48am

Exile
Quoted from DickBarton

Why  male private?

Criticise me as much as anyone else but cut the personal abuse!

Bloody swear filter , to say male private without it coming out as male private,

You have to say  Di ck  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
DickBarton
March 19, 2015, 12:42pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bloody swear filter , to say male private without it coming out as male private,

You have to say  Di ck  

Why the personal abuse my friend?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
rancido
March 19, 2015, 4:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry
Respect is a two way street, treat your customers like crap, then don't complain when they bite back.

And visa versa !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
rancido
March 19, 2015, 4:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Criticism is a perfectly valid option. Personal abuse isn't as I'm sure we'd all agree. I've rarely seen any on this board. I think claims of outrageous personal abuse are blown out of all proportion. There's very little evidence of malicious abuse on here. Heartfelt angst and criticism yes. Plenty. Personal abuse, not much.

I'm amazed you haven't seen much evidence of malicious abuse on here because I certainly have! I have seen fans being accused of  "being up JF's bottom " because they have agreed with something he has said. PH has been called clueless, a clown and many other derogatory things. That is personal abuse and could be interpreted as malicious.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
somersetmariner
March 19, 2015, 5:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Quoted from grimsby pete

You have to say  Di ck  

There is no personal abuse male private. male private is your name. if you have a swear filter on it displays male private as male private.......jesus, and to think you're in charge of our future.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2015, 5:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I'm amazed you haven't seen much evidence of malicious abuse on here because I certainly have! I have seen fans being accused of  "being up JF's bottom " because they have agreed with something he has said. PH has been called clueless, a clown and many other derogatory things. That is personal abuse and could be interpreted as malicious.

I said there's very little personal abuse. Not that there isn't any.

I think that the amount of abuse has been blown out of proportion - both volume and degree. It's not that bad and it is a football message board so there's going to be a lot of "rough and ready" language. Some of that language is probably over the top and some....well has a degree of justification if a little robust. A lot of it is heat of the moment stuff and not malicious attacks. I suspect some of it reflects frustration built up over the week in "real life" when folk cannot give full vent t their feelings, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt. Football has been a pressure valve like this for generations - people show their emotions more extravagantly than they might do in other areas of life. If it becomes another area where people are afraid to show their emotions then they'll drift away.

Different people will draw the line of acceptability in different places. If Paul Hurst or anyone else is upset by what people write on here they can take it up with the poster. I doubt he reads it.

There's been plenty of criticism on the other hand.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
grimsby pete
March 19, 2015, 5:59pm

Exile
Quoted from DickBarton

Why the personal abuse my friend?

I blame GrimRob,

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO   Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.