cmackenzie4
March 15, 2015, 10:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from chaos33
Why didn't he being Brown on? Why sign him and put him in the squad if you don't trust him to go on and play?! I just don't understand Hurst. Just like McLaughlin, it's a waste of 2 far superior footballers - to bring on a loanee playing out of position.

I've been saying this for months mate, why sign players yet doesn't  play them.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
arryarryarry
March 15, 2015, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

There were FOUR minutes(ish) between the substitution and their first goal. During that four minutes there wasn't a spell of concerted Chester pressure. When you take into account the fact that they were by then losing 2-0 and had nothing to lose by attacking-especially with two fresh subs of their own the argument doesn't hold water for me.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Hurst has made this substitution twice in consecutive away games for a total of 25 minutes and we have conceded three goals, only God knows why you cannot accept he made an error when all the journalists, 99% of Town fans and some Chester fans can see that he did.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 98
ginnywings
March 15, 2015, 10:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from chaos33
Why didn't he being Brown on? Why sign him and put him in the squad if you don't trust him to go on and play?! I just don't understand Hurst. Just like McLaughlin, it's a waste of 2 far superior footballers - to bring on a loanee playing out of position.

This is what infuriates me about Hurst. Paddy and Scott Brown are infinitely better footballers than Parslow, who is a mediocre defender, never mind a midfielder. Two signed players, one on the bench and the other loaned out to Harrogate, yet he plays an on loan, very average player out of position in the heart of the team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
chaos33
March 15, 2015, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,789
Gold Stars: 349
And did Parslow contribute anything at all? Was it worth it? Did it work? No, no and no. In fact, he barely touched the ball. We didn't gain or retain any posession in midfield, we left our striker isolated and the the rest of the team imbalanced, and completely handed them the impetus. Utterly needless, small-thinking, over cautious, unimaginative, gutless, reactive waste of time and points. And probably very costly indeed.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
GrimRob
March 15, 2015, 11:03pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ska face
Interesting to see GrimRob's use of chess analogies, without realising his own striking resemblance to Deep Blue.

Utterly mechanical, reducing the sport to a series of equations, spreadsheets, stats and percentages.

Sorry Rob, but football isn't a flipping equation - there's no way of quantifying the influence of 1000 away fans cheering a team on, you can't put a figure on the emotional impact of having a striker removed for no good reason and you certainly can't reduce the value of momentum to a percentage.

I never made the chess analogy someone else did. I just thought their analogy was wrong so I gave a better one.

As it happens my own models of football that I have built do take into account the size and the influence of the away crowd. It is one of the most important factors in most leagues (MLS the only exception I can think of).

I think the striker in question had to go off, he couldn't last 90 minutes. it's just the question of whether the best replacement was made. I have nothing against the principle of a defensive subsitution, you'll see it most nights on TV if you watch live games. PH obviously thinks so because he said he would do the same again. We don't concede many late goals and generally can defend leads much better than Town teams from the past so PH has on most occasions made the right choices.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 94 - 98
ska face
March 16, 2015, 11:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,370
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from GrimRob

As it happens my own models of football that I have built...

Says it all.

There is only one model of football - 22 blokes kicking a flipping bag of wind about on a patch of grass.

You stick to heat maps pal.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
grimsby pete
March 16, 2015, 12:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I've been saying this for months mate, why sign players yet doesn't  play them.

We all know Hurst has his favourites,

Parslow is always 1st to come on as sub when Hurst wants us to hold on to a lead,

He makes this move with 15 to 20 mins remaining,

Yet when he brings a striker on to change a game,

The poor sod  normally gets about 3-5 mins to do a job.

If Hurst reversed this strategy we would have a few more points imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
barralad
March 17, 2015, 1:07am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

As I mentioned elsewhere, Hurst has made this substitution twice in consecutive away games for a total of 25 minutes and we have conceded three goals, only God knows why you cannot accept he made an error when all the journalists, 99% of Town fans and some Chester fans can see that he did.

If you are going to quote me then I'd prefer it if you didn't quote posts in isolation. The point I was making was in direct response to FOOW point in the post I quoted. You didn't seem to think it was necessary to quote the post where I said I'd have preferred to see Brown in there but that doesn't really help you does it?

Are you a politician?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
barralad
March 17, 2015, 1:19am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from chaos33
And did Parslow contribute anything at all? Was it worth it? Did it work? No, no and no. In fact, he barely touched the ball. We didn't gain or retain any posession in midfield, we left our striker isolated and the the rest of the team imbalanced, and completely handed them the impetus. Utterly needless, small-thinking, over cautious, unimaginative, gutless, reactive waste of time and points. And probably very costly indeed.

Were you actually there or are you going off what was on the radio commentary? I ask because you don't seem to put an end on the time that we left our striker "isolated". For those looking for some acceptance from Hurst that he made a mistake then the introduction of Jolley (probably too late but there you go) is all the evidence you need. They might have created a couple of gilt edged chances in the last few minutes but I counted at least 5 Town efforts that were blocked-none of which came from the boot of our "isolated" striker. Neither were they the result of some big boot out of defence or from the keeper. That Clay and Disley were heavily involved in them suggests we actually did gain some possession in midfield. Even their match report which is amusingly headlined "We got the point we deserved" or some such words recognises that we had more chances to win the game late on.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.