10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
wembley_double98
March 15, 2015, 12:00am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
Quoted from GrimRob

It is though! Football is substantially a game of chance, so much meaning is attributed to random events it astonishes me sometimes.

People are angry and annoyed that we threw away a two goal lead (me included) but in a few days time everyone will have a got a bit of perspective.

Sorry Rob, I do not see it this way, to me it's more a game of Chess, educated decision making.
Chances are taken more when the chips are down, we sacrificed a Queen for a Pawn today unnecessarily.

UTM

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
TownSNAFU5
March 15, 2015, 1:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Chess players who make sacrifices are often bold and fortune favours the brave.  Their decision-making has to be very carefully calculated to succeed against the odds.

Hurst made a bad decision when it was avoidable and paid the consequences.  As did the fans.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
ginnywings
March 15, 2015, 11:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Hurst may not have admitted his mistake verbally but he admitted it by his actions in bringing on Jolley and going back to 4-4-2. Too late by then, all momentum lost and maybe not just in that one game either. There was a general groundswell developing; the fans were starting to believe and buy into it.

It's almost like he has this little switch in his head that says it's the 70 minute mark, i need to show everyone i'm the manager and make a substitution. Just about every sub he makes in every game comes from 70 mins onwards. He never changes things early when it's not working and he never ever makes a change at half time. We never cruise through a game with the same 11 starting and finishing. If we are chasing the game, we get like for like subs with not much improvement. If we are slightly ahead, which is almost always the case, he looks to tighten up the game and yesterday he just went way too early and with the wrong man entirely. I have no idea why we even signed Parslow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
MuddyWaters
March 15, 2015, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst may not have admitted his mistake verbally but he admitted it by his actions in bringing on Jolley and going back to 4-4-2. Too late by then, all momentum lost and maybe not just in that one game either. There was a general groundswell developing; the fans were starting to believe and buy into it.

It's almost like he has this little switch in his head that says it's the 70 minute mark, i need to show everyone i'm the manager and make a substitution. Just about every sub he makes in every game comes from 70 mins onwards. He never changes things early when it's not working and he never ever makes a change at half time. We never cruise through a game with the same 11 starting and finishing. If we are chasing the game, we get like for like subs with not much improvement. If we are slightly ahead, which is almost always the case, he looks to tighten up the game and yesterday he just went way too early and with the wrong man entirely. I have no idea why we even signed Parslow.

Sums it up for me. No problem going 451 if you put a genuine central midfielder on - especially as the one we had on the bench was our best central midfielder in the first half of the season. Parslow is a defender - and a not very good one at that.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
jonnyboy82
March 15, 2015, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sums it up for me. No problem going 451 if you put a genuine central midfielder on - especially as the one we had on the bench was our best central midfielder in the first half of the season. Parslow is a defender - and a not very good one at that.

Exactly.

I mean if you want to hold on to what you got at least bring a player on who actually plays in that position in Scott Brown.

The more I slept on it the more it just doesn't make any sense at all.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
GrimRob
March 15, 2015, 12:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from wembley_double98

Sorry Rob, I do not see it this way, to me it's more a game of Chess, educated decision making.
Chances are taken more when the chips are down, we sacrificed a Queen for a Pawn today unnecessarily.

UTM

If you want a chess analogy we were material up and tried to exchange down, common practice when you are up a piece or two. There were checkmate opportunities but we tried the less risky approach. Our opponent managed to construct some counterplay and developed an attack which nullified our material advantage. In the end we were forced to accept a draw.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 65 - 98
marinerjase
March 15, 2015, 12:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 147
I'm still baffled of the mentality that reaching the play offs is success.

How so, unless winning them? It's not like there is a financial bonus for doing so.

Macclesfield, if you look at their situation at the start of the season, can rightly feel play offs equal over achieving. But us...? No. Has to be won.

Not go out in a whimper like last two seasons. Sadly, I think if Bristol R don't win the league then we've had it anyway. Against the others we should be favourites, pending the approach in a two legged semi final

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
Doubled
March 15, 2015, 12:18pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
Just a thought, Chester might have scored three if we hadn't gone defensive. We were not the only team to lose a two goal lead yesterday (Halifax) And Halifax  didn't go defensive. in fact they put more strikers on!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
MuddyWaters
March 15, 2015, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Doubled
Just a thought, Chester might have scored three if we hadn't gone defensive. We were not the only team to lose a two goal lead yesterday (Halifax) And Halifax  didn't go defensive. in fact they put more strikers on!!!

We're not Halifax and we weren't playing Bristol Rovers - we were in complete control of a game against Chester!
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
Mrs Doyle
March 15, 2015, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Lets accept one thing even if he wont Hurst  took away our winning position through ineptness it was clear for all to see and hear. If he does not learn from this then he is a bad manager and will never amount to anything.

If you have the momentum you go for the juggler until the game is nearly over you do not put your defence under pressure so early for christ's sake LEARN from YOUR MISTAKES.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.