Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Keep calm and carry on!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 92 Guests

Keep calm and carry on!

This thread currently has 6,428 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 16, 2015, 2:45am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hah! I actually wrote Mr Barton's first name but the Fishy profanity checker changed it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
DickBarton
March 16, 2015, 4:14am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I beginning to think male private's a troll.

For being positive

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
jonnyboy82
March 16, 2015, 8:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from chaos33
I've said this many, many times....but the club just don't think like winners. They don't act like winners. They don't project it. Hurst is the worst for it. We've got the players and the support, but where is the drive, the self-confidence, the faith in the squad, the big-thinking, attack-minded, winning-mentality (cockiness even) from the Club and it's manager?!?

Nowhere. Too busy looking backwards, worrying about the opposition, playing percentges, being cautious, hedging our bets, playing it safe, keeping it tight, hiding from reality, hoping for the f***ing best. THIS, is what's stopping us winning this sh1t league. Same every year.

Nail on head.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
oldun
March 16, 2015, 8:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from chaos33
I've said this many, many times....but the club just don't think like winners. They don't act like winners. They don't project it. Hurst is the worst for it. We've got the players and the support, but where is the drive, the self-confidence, the faith in the squad, the big-thinking, attack-minded, winning-mentality (cockiness even) from the Club and it's manager?!?

Nowhere. Too busy looking backwards, worrying about the opposition, playing percentges, being cautious, hedging our bets, playing it safe, keeping it tight, hiding from reality, hoping for the f***ing best. THIS, is what's stopping us winning this sh1t league. Same every year.

Unfortunately that is true of many fans, many people in this town and the town itself. Too many negative so and so's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
big al
March 16, 2015, 10:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Only my fifth game of the season - four of them away. I too was dismayed at the consequences of the substitution - it clearly had an impact on the game. I think the confidence that Palmer instills in the rest of the players has a lot to do with the reason they fell apart when he was subbed. Saying that, both goals were mistakes by players in my opinion that shouldn't have happened. Poor substitution or not, they've got to take some of the blame.
A neutral I took to the game said he had never seen a goal that was so inevitable as our second - you just knew we were going to score and we deserved to - we were supremely confident at that point.
On other matters - do I think that Hurst was trying to be clever with his substitution - yes and it clearly backed fired. Should he own up to his mistake - yes he should but a lot of excellent managers never admit their mistakes and that seems to serve their teams and supporters well most of the time.
The sense disappointed was unbelievable at the final whistle - we really blew it but we were an outside chance for the title and we still are and we were pretty nailed on for a play off spot and we still are. Think you can get 6-1 on Town to be champions - maybe not good value but the bookies still think we're in with a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
ginnywings
March 16, 2015, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from big al
Only my fifth game of the season - four of them away. I too was dismayed at the consequences of the substitution - it clearly had an impact on the game. I think the confidence that Palmer instills in the rest of the players has a lot to do with the reason they fell apart when he was subbed. Saying that, both goals were mistakes by players in my opinion that shouldn't have happened. Poor substitution or not, they've got to take some of the blame.
A neutral I took to the game said he had never seen a goal that was so inevitable as our second - you just knew we were going to score and we deserved to - we were supremely confident at that point.
On other matters - do I think that Hurst was trying to be clever with his substitution - yes and it clearly backed fired. Should he own up to his mistake - yes he should but a lot of excellent managers never admit their mistakes and that seems to serve their teams and supporters well most of the time.
The sense disappointed was unbelievable at the final whistle - we really blew it but we were an outside chance for the title and we still are and we were pretty nailed on for a play off spot and we still are. Think you can get 6-1 on Town to be champions - maybe not good value but the bookies still think we're in with a chance.

If we had won on Saturday, we would have been more than an outside chance and right in the thick of it but at this stage of the season, you have to take advantage of every slip up by your rivals and that was a guilt edge opportunity gone with poor game management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
GiveUsAG
March 16, 2015, 11:06am

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I agree with this "keep calm and carry on". We need to look forward, not backwards.

As gutted as we ALL are about the result at Chester, we need to focus on promotion and not let ourselves be distracted by disappointment in the past. Hurst made a mistake that costed us 2 points at Chester, he might never admit it, but everyone knows different. Hurst probably thought we set on to win, which I can probably safely say, we all did, so he tried playing it safe, save ammo sort of speak for Eastleigh maybe, but it obviously backed fired.

This 'MIGHT' of costed us the shot at the tittle, but like it has been for a while now, it's a dependant on other results elsewhere, even if we win every game from now on.  

Play off's on the other hand, I'm pretty confident we've sealed a place. But, I believe Hurst and his squad will be aiming to win every game and aiming for the tittle.

Many, including myself, said they'd be more twists and turns yet.I still think there will be. But we need to focus on what's next. As fans all we can do is hope for the best.

We need to send a 'POSITIVE' message to Hurst and his men on Saturday, we need to make them believe that we still believe we are going up! Even if you don't believe it, just pretend to, never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.  

The only way is up, onwards and upwards! UTM  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
big al
March 16, 2015, 11:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from ginnywings

If we had won on Saturday, we would have been more than an outside chance and right in the thick of it but at this stage of the season, you have to take advantage of every slip up by your rivals and that was a guilt edge opportunity gone with poor game management.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. If this had been at the start of the season it wouldn't feel the same or be the same. I still genuinely think we'll go up. The management of that game was naïve and clueless and I can see it may cost us dearly. It's made all the more difficult to swallow because we were bossing it so clearly.

None of the other teams are going to want to meet us in the play-offs. I just wanted to remain positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
itsnotcoditshaddock
March 16, 2015, 11:16am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Town "implode" on the main page headline is a bit strong no?!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
cmackenzie4
March 16, 2015, 1:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Eastleigh is a big game! We need to win this one to make our playoff place more or less certain. Let's hope Town can put on a good show and get the result we all want and also hope other results go our way too, we could be 2 points off top spot Ssturday.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Keep calm and carry on!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.