4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimal
March 10, 2015, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Just had a look and Akinde has scored 10 from the spot so far this season,not sure if all the fouls were on him but he's perhaps one of those sort of players that can be very effective at conning referees,he does go down quite often with very little contact in the games I've seen him play. Still a good striker though   UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
horsforthmariner
March 10, 2015, 1:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
It's why we need video replays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
moosey_club
March 10, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Grimal
Just had a look and Akinde has scored 10 from the spot so far this season,not sure if all the fouls were on him but he's perhaps one of those sort of players that can be very effective at conning referees,he does go down quite often with very little contact in the games I've seen him play. Still a good striker though   UTM.

Akinde reminds me of Jack Lester when it comes to "winning" penalties....doesnt necessarily dive but invites the challenge and goes over....love it when its for you...hate it when its against..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
DocTower
March 10, 2015, 3:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from moosey_club

Akinde reminds me of Jack Lester when it comes to "winning" penalties....doesnt necessarily dive but invites the challenge and goes over....love it when its for you...hate it when its against..

As he did at our place ,  invited challenge got it and penalty .  As you say love it if it was for us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Maringer
March 10, 2015, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think there was any great doubt about his penalty at BP. Toto got himself turned than bustled into Akinde from behind so that looked to me more of a case of the defender being at fault than the forward looking for it.

Lots of clumsy defenders at this level, I suppose!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Abdul19
March 10, 2015, 6:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Hats off to the ref last night, a lot would (and have in the past(when they were good)) buckled under the pressure of being at Old Trafford.

That Januzaj kid needs to up his diving game, wouldn't be surprised to see him sent on a month's loan to Gateshead.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
samg
March 10, 2015, 6:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Agree - I thought the ref was superb last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
ex-merseymariner
March 10, 2015, 6:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from RichMariner
I think the pundits have to take some responsibility for eradicating diving from the game.

Just last weekend we had Alan Shearer and Ruud Gullit arguing on MOTD that Sam Vokes of Burnley should've thrown himself to the ground in order to win a penalty. They claimed (rightly or wrongly) that players need to hit the ground in order to get a decision from the ref....One thing is for sure - pundits can't argue that players should hit the deck in order to convince referees. That's the root of this problem, which is why it made Shearer and Gullit look like complete idiots.

A few weeks ago Trevor Sinclair as pundit on MOTD2 said diving was 'a skill.'   A completely ridiculous comment to make; thankfully the presenter and journalist disagreed with him. But Robbie Savage didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrTUABZtwZ4

Idiocy.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 10, 2015, 7:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes indeed. That's a sort of halfway house between standing up and taking a dive untouched. This was the method Franny Lee used to perfection.

Norman Buck who passed away the other week, a fine local player in the family tradition, demonstrated this technique to me many moons ago.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
moosey_club
March 10, 2015, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Abdul19
Hats off to the ref last night, a lot would (and have in the past(when they were good)) buckled under the pressure of being at Old Trafford.

That Januzaj kid needs to up his diving game, wouldn't be surprised to see him sent on a month's loan to Gateshead.

on the next series of Splash with Tom Daly

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Diving

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.