This thread currently has 4,593 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
March 10, 2015, 10:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am sick and tired of these highly paid footballers cheating by diving for free kicks and penalties. Another couple of examples last night by Man U players. Di Maria had the nerve to protest and ok got what he deserved with a red card for pulling the ref about. As far as I am concerned diving should be a straight red card, no messing. It is difficult sometimes for referees, and they will get a few calls wrong, but then there is an appeals procedure so no problem, just get them off the pitch. Get caught a second time and a 10 match ban to follow. It needs sorting so clubs should also be fined every time one of their players does it. I have heard young lads discussing diving and the best way to do it, this must be stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
March 10, 2015, 10:31am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from oldun
I am sick and tired of these highly paid footballers cheating by diving for free kicks and penalties. Another couple of examples last night by Man U players. Di Maria had the nerve to protest and ok got what he deserved with a red card for pulling the ref about. As far as I am concerned diving should be a straight red card, no messing. It is difficult sometimes for referees, and they will get a few calls wrong, but then there is an appeals procedure so no problem, just get them off the pitch. Get caught a second time and a 10 match ban to follow. It needs sorting so clubs should also be fined every time one of their players does it. I have heard young lads discussing diving and the best way to do it, this must be stopped.

Yes but these bans need to be put in place by UEFA and FIFA and not just the FA.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
March 10, 2015, 10:37am
Guest User
Not sure about anybody else but the diving has reached such a level that I hardly watch Premier league football anymore. It makes me sick and angers me. It's about time something was done, what is annoying is it wouldn't take long to sort them all out. These players are cunning, it's part of their game and they are adept at cheating their opponents and the referee. The ref can't be expected to get it right all the time. We need to have a panel sitting on a Monday morning and dishing out bans like confetti - you just watch it stop.
Reply: 2 - 30
oldun
March 10, 2015, 10:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yes but these bans need to be put in place by UEFA and FIFA and not just the FA.

Agree, needs to be world wide and very soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
RoboCod
March 10, 2015, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quite shocking to see how low Man Utd have gone with this, Giggs was always good enough to beat his man and didn't need to resort to such desperate attempts to con the ref as Di Maria and Zanu-wotsit last night. Wonder how he feels as part of the staff watching that, it's surely been brought in by Van Gaal.

To the main point, yes it needs fixing but I fear it's one of those things we're stuck with if we're relying on the clowns at the top level to do anything.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
grimsby pete
March 10, 2015, 11:43am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Man Utd are really crap now,

I have always enjoyed watching them since Munich in 58,

The team now is full of divers and overpaid prima donna 's

I have never seen a United team pass the ball back so often,

If they can not pass it backwards they just hoof it up the field.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
March 10, 2015, 11:50am
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
Man Utd are really crap now,

I have always enjoyed watching them since Munich in 58,

The team now is full of divers and overpaid prima donna 's

I have never seen a United team pass the ball back so often,

If they can not pass it backwards they just hoof it up the field.

I'm not bothered either way about them but I do think Van Gaal is a pretender, he's spent fortunes on midfielders and forwards and anyone will eyes can see they badly need the defence sorting out. He is ridiculously arrogant, his English isn't up to scratch and I think he'll be found out before long. His record is excellent though, I suppose that alone will buy him time.
Reply: 6 - 30
moosey_club
March 10, 2015, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
For Man Utd you only have to look at their skipper...he lead by example a couple of weeks ago falling over thin air when "expecting" contact...i understand taking evasive action to avoid contact, self protection to avoid possible injury, but if you avoid the contact then why the need to fall over afterwards....other than attempting to con the ref.

Last night, 70 mins onwards, the referee was questioned over two decisions by the T.V commentary team, Di Maria and the other fella ..Jan wotsit...."big call by the referee here"....and on both he was proven right.

Jan wotsit has accumulated several of those now, its not just one offence, he is a serial offender and should be taken to task for it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
TownSNAFU5
March 10, 2015, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Refs need to call these dives correctly and then book them.  This needs to happen on a consistent basis.  It will probably get worse before the problem is addressed effectively.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
RichMariner
March 10, 2015, 12:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I think the pundits have to take some responsibility for eradicating diving from the game.

Just last weekend we had Alan Shearer and Ruud Gullit arguing on MOTD that Sam Vokes of Burnley should've thrown himself to the ground in order to win a penalty. They claimed (rightly or wrongly) that players need to hit the ground in order to get a decision from the ref.

Then last night Shearer's saying Januzaj has thrown himself to the ground to get a penalty and it's pure cheating.

There is a difference, of course - Vokes was fouled, Januazj wasn't - but the problem is the mentality of throwing yourself to the ground to get a decision. This is the bit that needs to change.

If players had more trust in referees, and if they believed they would get free kicks and penalties for fouls that don't necessarily force them to the ground, then maybe they'd not chuck themselves all over the place all the time.

One thing is for sure - pundits can't argue that players should hit the deck in order to convince referees. That's the root of this problem, which is why it made Shearer and Gullit look like complete idiots.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Diving

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.