4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2015, 12:47am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I seem to remember years ago, going back a long way, big occasions seemed to adversely affect Town. Not because of negativity in the crowd (that seems relatively recent).

We'd get through difficult games and win, often against the odds, but then seem to fail at the next big test when really big crowds turned up. Maybe it was/is the pressure of expectations. It simply got/gets to players no matter how positive the crowd.

Or maybe the crowd had nothing to do with it and the odds were we would get beat sooner or later. Like, that thing you're looking for always being in the last place you look, because you stop looking after that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
DickBarton
March 10, 2015, 9:51am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from bradzmilne
Playing in front of a big crowd is all about mind set. If the players believe that there are 5,000 there to support them we will be fine.
Its when the players don't think they are there to support them, that's the issue. Because I could imagine a big crowd could become very intimidating if fans start getting on the players back etc. I'm not sure how you change that mentality of the crowd? It seems that some of the of the crowd are fixated on the great town teams/players of the past rather than focusing on the current batch of players now.
You don't forget the past, but you concentrate on the here and now. What does that mean? lets get behind the lads and get out of this league once and for all.
UTM.

Spot on!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Garth
March 10, 2015, 9:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Even the most critical moaner and shouter at home games is an ardent supporter of the team IMO, if not why would he/she bother to go its not as though its cheap entertainment.

They care as much as everyone else but show it in a different way, you know the way you scold a child as well as encourage him because you are proud of him and want him to do succeed, obviously it would be nice for the players to not hear the moans and groans but( shouting abuse apart) its part of watching football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
grimsby pete
March 10, 2015, 10:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If we need to win the last game of the season to get back into the football league,

The 50 or so Aldershot fans will be in the corner,

Leaving the 8,000 Town fans singing and chanting all around the ground,

It's going to be great,

Just got to get in that position now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
DickBarton
March 10, 2015, 11:58am

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Garth
Even the most critical moaner and shouter at home games is an ardent supporter of the team IMO, if not why would he/she bother to go its not as though its cheap entertainment.

They care as much as everyone else but show it in a different way, you know the way you scold a child as well as encourage him because you are proud of him and want him to do succeed, obviously it would be nice for the players to not hear the moans and groans but( shouting abuse apart) its part of watching football

Imagine shouting and telling a child he's ....ing useless. No one deserves that,  even footballers, managers and directors.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
tanga_the_indestructible
March 10, 2015, 3:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Garth

And child psychologists all agree it's a dismal and counterproductive way to treat children. It doesn't work. It's not actually motivating or encouraging. The same could surely be applied to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
nickmariners
March 10, 2015, 3:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4

And child psychologists all agree it's a dismal and counterproductive way to treat children. It doesn't work. It's not actually motivating or encouraging. The same could surely be applied to Blundell Park.

Yep - agree.  And there's plenty for those psychologists to study at BP: a lot of dummies getting spat out when we don't sweep the opposition away 10 - 0 every time.

Anyway - the time is nigh for a mass love-in.  UTmfM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2015, 5:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Should I let them out of the coal bunker now and again?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Fcukthescunts
March 10, 2015, 6:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Is the safe standing thing any closer? I really believe to get an atmosphere at home those who want to sing/ bang drum must be able to be together. I think the Osmond is perfect unreserved seats (ST holders can exchange if wanted) generate the noise. Aldershot, Gateshead and Eastleigh will not bring many so can be put in corner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
DickBarton
March 11, 2015, 3:28pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

Yep - agree.  And there's plenty for those psychologists to study at BP: a lot of dummies getting spat out when we don't sweep the opposition away 10 - 0 every time.

Anyway - the time is nigh for a mass love-in.  UTmfM

Count me in for the mass love in

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.