2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Green27
March 7, 2015, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
The one time in the year I get to start this thread.

A huge win and with others around us dropping points it all looks too much of a possibility now. The first half was relatively scrappy and we grew into it but Woking really didn't offer much of a threat till they had nothing to lose. The one opportunity that fell to Rendell in the first half was squandered but we really kept him out of the game which is no easy task the times I've seen him the guy has been ruthless. Palmer really looked pumped up for the it, that was the best performance I've ever seen him put in at Kingsfield much to the annoyance of friends who support Woking.

I felt Aswad had Mackreth in his pocket all game and really couldn't get anything from him and though Arnold will be annoyed at the great chance he missed in the first half, when he got his head up he really made the Woking defence worry.  We easily handled Woking I really can't believe we have such a great opportunity now to push for the League never mind playoffs!

UTM

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
March 7, 2015, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Thomas?

He didn't play, or are you just taking the p1ss?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Barrattstander
March 7, 2015, 6:42pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Green27
The one time in the year I get to start this thread.

I felt Aswad had Mackreth in his pocket all game and really couldn't get anything from him and though Arnold will be annoyed at the great chance he missed in the first half, when he got his head up he really made the Woking defence worry.  We easily handled Woking I really can't believe we have such a great opportunity now to push for the League never mind playoffs!

UTM

Are you sure you were there? I'm sure Thomas wasn't playing.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Doctor Sanchez
March 7, 2015, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Green27

I felt Aswad had Mackreth in his pocket all game

That must've been a Town fan in an afro wig.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
punk mariner
March 7, 2015, 6:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +38
great result despite an unnecessarily nervous ending.

better team overall and despite the odd chance in the second half they didn't really trouble us until the goal. The "front" three of Ollie, Arnold and JPP were particularly effective in the first half, linked up well and posed a threat. Arnold should have done better with his chance but he had a decent game otherwise. Mackreth had a hand in both goals but MOM for me was Palmer. looks the real deal.

nervous ending when Hannah was upfront by himself to protect a one goal lead but we kept our nerve and held out. great celebrations at the end.

if we can keep finding ways to win and results keep going our way who knows what can happen. all we can do as fans is keep turning up and supporting like we have done recently. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
nickmariners
March 7, 2015, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
An unflappable (except for the Woking goal) and supremely professional performance from Town.  Possibly not as fluid and exciting as some would want, but that was at least partly due to Woking (how dare they) wanting to do their bit to win at home.

Particularly in the first half, Pearson's head was a ball magnet -- he was clearing just about everything airborne, and the goal efforts of Woking that I remember were long-range shots flying high and wide.

We seemed to be playing the uptempo press-from-the-front style that served us so well at Barnet, and we looked very composed for the most part.

Arnold and Robertson were solid down the left in the first half, and Mackreth saw a lot of the ball in the 2nd (where we were standing, and I couldn't really see the other wing - damned bright sunshine), Arnold was a real handful for their defence, his miss notwithstanding, and Palmer was full of running and threat.  Disley seemed to get forward a lot more than recently, and covered a heck of a lot of ground.  As ever, Magnay's engine and commitment were top-rate.  But -- good all-round team performance, and the two goals were worked through dogged persistence and supportive teamwork.  This team has really good attitude.

I don't know if it was clever game management tactics, but Woking stuck the Town fans in the open side stand, not in our usual end.  Though it was nice to watch a sea of wigs wobble in the breeze and sunshine all afternoon, the lack of a roof stopped us creating a racket in the full Barnet away style-y, while their fans - using the behind-the-goal end were amusingly vocal -- never heard them at all in my previous visits with Town.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2015, 8:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Solid performance today. Makreth worked hard and did well not to get knocked off the ball all the time by defenders twice his weight.  JP creating them problems. Zlatan is the difference for us - hope he was just suffering from first game backitis. Arnie did everything but score today. Created some good chances but fluffed em. We were well on top either side of the second goal when Woking seemed to fall to pieces. Some great pics of the team in wigs.

Buzzing all the way back.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
forza ivano
March 7, 2015, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Was interesting to watch from a side stand.different perspective etc. v difficult to name a motm so many were excellent.certainly wouldn't give it to Palmer although he obviously played a big part.mckeown was back to last seasons best.commanding and good distribution.magnay played to his normal high standard.gald that it was Robertson rather than
thomas handling Betty.robertson is a safe but sure option.nsiala was good and no real toto moments.thought Pearson was outstanding.hes great for this level one of the best centre halves in the conference. Might struggle in the league but at this level he's invaluable. Disley was superb, so much spring to win headers.this is the best Disley season for me. Clay did an awful lot of good stuff after a woeful opening 15 mins. Mackreth was anonymous for the first hour, Arthur handled him well but came increasingly influential as the game opened up.arnold was excellent, shame he missed that 1 on 1.can only think his aberration over new year was down to illness. Pittman was a level too good for this, powerful, quick strong and dangerous. Just hope his hamstrings can hold out for the last 10 weeks. Q impressed with Woking in patches.betsy is a class act. The 17 up front was good, v threatening a slightly lesser ability Pittman and Saar the skinny black centre back proved more than a match for Palmer and was q classy as well. V con trolled performance from town.they looked the sort of team that wins the conference, big strong , powerful with lots of pace and very efficient, not making many mistakes. With results going perfectly it's all getting v interesting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
louth_in_the_south
March 7, 2015, 9:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
If that was Thomas in disguise at left back he's been doing some serious steroids in the last few weeks lol !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
louth_in_the_south
March 7, 2015, 9:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Good all round performance . It looked all too easy for town with Woking not offering much until we make it difficult for ourselves letting in a late goal to give them a chance of a point they didn't deserve .
Best performance from Macreth I've seen since he joined . He looks like he's settled in now and things are starting to click . Keep it up mate

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2015, 9:17pm
Meths Drinker
Do you reckon we can get Garry Hill to do the team talk for us every week.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
BIGChris
March 7, 2015, 9:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Thought we were well worth the points and overall much better than Woking.

Pearson, Toto & Robertson very solid, Clay won so many tackles and Disley had such a leap on him he looked spring heeled.

Thought their left back was very poor, prone to panic under the slightest pressure and turned off totally when we got our 2nd with Magnays quick free kick.

Excellent following, over 500 is top quality even with a fair few exiles. Maybe 700 for Chester?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2015, 9:58pm
Meths Drinker
There's not many teams in the lower leagues where away players celebrating a goal can run down the length of the touchline in front of their own fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Caesar
March 8, 2015, 8:41am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Well how excited am I now!!  Seems the Fishy is as well  

Was gutted we were stuck on the open terrace as is always hard to generate atmosphere and certainly felt that in the first half.  Though for this reason I have to give credit to the team who played very well throughout and got the crowd into the game more.

The pitch was awful with what looked liked sand was kicking up all the time, as a result the ball was zipping all over the place and not conducive to great football.  Woking looked very poor and offered little in the first half, Pearson was heading everything in his area well away, and the only way they seemed to make any progress was when we gave the ball away in midfield.  Up front Plamer held the ball up well and had a few shots and I thought he deserved to be the one to get the goal, he was more aware than anyone when the ball came back off the post.  Thought we thoroughly deserved to be up 1-0

Second half we dropped deep at first but gradually pushed out and were lightining quick to react to the free kick and get a second, Woking offered nothing at all really apart from one attmpted lob when McKewan came out a fair way.  Then they pumped in ball into the box until they got lucky with one.  But I have to agree with Hurst, would of been a tragedy if they had got anything from the game, we were not amazing but the orst Grimsby Town team were much better than the excellent Woking team.  Worried about getting my hopes up now but we can actually do this!! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
ska face
March 8, 2015, 2:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,620
Gold Stars: 840
Another good win, Toto had a great game & was my MOM. As BigChris mentioned, their left back was absolute dog.

A special mention to the stewards yesterday who looked like they'd been drafted in from an EDL march and took so much care in searching every town fan going in (confiscating inflatables) that they missed the three smoke bombs let off by the hooligan scumbags in the Woking end.

Also, a big thumbs up to Nathan Barley in the Woking end who decided to get dead brave after two town fans were moved back into the away end  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.