Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just had a thought,

If there are any vacant plots on the allotments,

We should take them up and work from the inside,

I'll get my name down for one toMARROW        

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2015, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Allotments are like gold dust down here. They've even stopped taking names on the waiting list. You have to bump people off to get on the list. If there's any vacancies up there it's a crying shame and proves any stadium won't affect that many people.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2015, 8:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS on the other hand I've not seen any evidence to support the claim there's a big unmet demand for housing so I'm not convinced there's enough money out there for any enabling development.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
nickmariners
March 7, 2015, 12:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ginnywings

Does it really matter? It will be a community asset, which we as a club will use but so will others. As pointed out, BP is worth nowt anyway.

Not to be argumentative, but that's quite a narrow capitalistic approach.  

To me, Blundell Park - a place with history and memories galore in a town that disregards much of its built heritage --  is actually "worth" a heck of a lot more than any bland new meccano structure with a good car park and no local infrastructure.

And a 'community asset' that much of the community (outside of a lot of Town fans) doesn't seem to want is hardly an asset to the community at large.  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
ackomariner
March 7, 2015, 5:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from nickmariners

Not to be argumentative, but that's quite a narrow capitalistic approach.  

To me, Blundell Park - a place with history and memories galore in a town that disregards much of its built heritage --  is actually "worth" a heck of a lot more than any bland new meccano structure with a good car park and no local infrastructure.

And a 'community asset' that much of the community (outside of a lot of Town fans) doesn't seem to want is hardly an asset to the community at large.  

UTM

Got to move with the times and your right with the word " memories "

With thoughts like above, it's no wonder Grimsby is left behind from other places in the country

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
Mrs Doyle
March 7, 2015, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from BIGChris

Who owns the land and who pays for the new stadium?

Yeah  your right Chris ABP owns the land that is like asking for a miracle.  Pity they don't see the connection between the community of Grimsby it's football team and the fishing heritage  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
aldi_01
March 7, 2015, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What shocked me more was the rudeness, aggression and just all round ignorance from people who are against it. I'm sure if the yes brigade behaved that way it would work against them.

Too many people have stood still in the town for long enough. There are people in all areas trying their hardest to move the town forward but every step along the way these busy/boring/archaic types stop it and then moan s year later about the 'state' of the town.

I'm not looking at what the new ground will do for the club bug more about how it can make mine, yours and everyone's town a better place.

Last week one silly woman kept tripping herself up and then when she heard it could be a Sainsbury's she seemed to warm to the idea.

As for the allotments, I suspect the initial comments are false and more to do with kids than find masked, pro stadium vandals. If town don't get the stadium there the allotments will still go when a big housing company and a multi national supermarket turn up and build on it anyway.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
nickmariners
March 7, 2015, 9:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

Got to move with the times and your right with the word " memories "

With thoughts like above, it's no wonder Grimsby is left behind from other places in the country

Well - you may be the Pevsner of the Pontoon, and your confidence in the developers suggest that Grimsby has been wonderfully transformed in past 30 years. You live there, I don't, so clearly you are happy with the dog's breakfast that much of Gy has become (though Cleethorpes front area has been renovated well).

But in my opinion (and opinions are granted holy status on this website), Grimsby and district is not over-blessed with anything to do with its heritage.

If New is Good, Old is Bad, let's demolish the Dock Tower while we are at it.

I like BP, I enjoy going to a real football ground, I value those memories and that history, and for me the Dartford and the MK dons models are 2nd rate. A properly refurbbed BP is my own preference, and yes, I do think it may be possible to build an economic case around that as well as my stuck-in-the-past emotive one.

Now, Woking here I come

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
nickmariners
March 7, 2015, 9:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
What shocked me more was the rudeness, aggression and just all round ignorance from people who are against it. I'm sure if the yes brigade behaved that way it would work against them.

Too many people have stood still in the town for long enough. There are people in all areas trying their hardest to move the town forward but every step along the way these busy/boring/archaic types stop it and then moan s year later about the 'state' of the town.

I'm not looking at what the new ground will do for the club bug more about how it can make mine, yours and everyone's town a better place.

Last week one silly woman kept tripping herself up and then when she heard it could be a Sainsbury's she seemed to warm to the idea.

As for the allotments, I suspect the initial comments are false and more to do with kids than find masked, pro stadium vandals. If town don't get the stadium there the allotments will still go when a big housing company and a multi national supermarket turn up and build on it anyway.

Aldi - I am sure you want the best for the club, but speaking as a committed Town fan who prefers BP to PP, I don't think you win the argument by insulting those who have a different view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
grimsby pete
March 7, 2015, 11:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from nickmariners

Aldi - I am sure you want the best for the club, but speaking as a committed Town fan who prefers BP to PP, I don't think you win the argument by insulting those who have a different view.

I think we should make that our logo in the fight to a new ground,

WE    WANT    PP   NOT    BP.    

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peaks Parkway Allotments

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.