4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
nightrider
March 3, 2015, 4:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I'd love to be going and watching us with 10k.
If we can get 10k +, why aren't we building a stadium with potential for 20k.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
rancido
March 3, 2015, 4:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
In the 2000/01 season the home game against Bolton on September 12th attracted a gate of 3732. The highest gate that season was 8706 on May 6th against Fulham ( last home game of the season ) and that would have been swelled by a lot of away support as they finished Champions. Despite what some fans think the fact is the support for this club isn't as large as they like to think. These kind of gates for the second tier of the football pyramid wouldn't financially support a club at that level. If we ever do or want to compete at this level then it is imperative that we have other income sources and that could only be achieved with a new stadium.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
diehardmariner
March 3, 2015, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
The thing with having additional income sources is that other clubs have them in place too? We wouldn't gain an advantage by having these additional streams of income, it lessens our disadvantage.

Getting the additional income is absolutely essential but not to compete, to survive!
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
nightrider
March 3, 2015, 5:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I don't pay much attention to the 'additional income streams' argument, mainly because I don't have a clue about it.
What I do know is, regardless of the attendance, we could do with a new ground as the one we have is old! Everything about it needs updating. I'm just undecided as to whether it should be in town or out of town.  There should be no question whether the town needs one, more where we need one and how much is it likely to cost.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
Grim up north
March 3, 2015, 5:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
We would attract more nowadays as attendances have risen by a fair amount through all divisions as stated earlier and a lot depends on a winning side and the facilities provided which is the same all over. We may not have the catchment of Hull City but we will allways attract more than Lincoln and Scunny and possibly match Doncaster,Rotherham etc etc when/if  the new stadium gets built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Grim up north
March 3, 2015, 5:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
You have to make access to a new stadium easy to reach within footfall for many which is why an out of town is a definite no go for me as a fair few would be put off with the location which has been done to death .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
Quagmire
March 3, 2015, 5:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from rancido
In the 2000/01 season the home game against Bolton on September 12th attracted a gate of 3732. The highest gate that season was 8706 on May 6th against Fulham ( last home game of the season ) and that would have been swelled by a lot of away support as they finished Champions.

It was also a game that we needed to win to guarantee Championship/First Division survival so I think it was almost certainly a home sell out too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2015, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Quagmire

It was also a game that we needed to win to guarantee Championship/First Division survival so I think it was almost certainly a home sell out too.

And reading the earlier link about the board reshuffle a short while afterwards, a pivotal game that if we had lost and then been relegated, would have seen us in to administration?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 36
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 5:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Grim up north
You have to make access to a new stadium easy to reach within footfall for many which is why an out of town is a definite no go for me as a fair few would be put off with the location which has been done to death .

Totally agree. I understand that a significant % of current season ticket holders live within 1.5 miles of the proposed ground where that % at BP is single figures. I bet it would have been lower still for Great Coates. Accessibility is key IMO

I know I bang on about it but the only way we will compete going forward is if we can genuinely become a community club. That needs seriously effort to engage with ALL age groups from kids to pensioners. Swansea are a great example of this
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
Mrs Doyle
March 3, 2015, 5:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Could be a bit of rose tinted specs remember many a time going to BP in the old forth division with barely a thousand fans,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.