3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
March 3, 2015, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Enjoying reading these posts by the older posters on the fishy, bit before my time unfortunately.

R.I.P Dave

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
DNMariner
March 3, 2015, 2:06pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Broke his leg, and then broke the same one again in his first match back yet still bounced back and didn't change as a player at all. It was either Mullery's or Greaves' autobiography that said he would spend days running up and down the terraces at White Hart Lane just to build the strength back up in his leg. Apparently after going down, his first instinct was to try and get up and go after the ball until he realised his foot was pointing in the wrong direction. Truly a different breed to what we have today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
psgmariner
March 3, 2015, 2:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I highly recommend The Glory Game by Hunter Davies. Some great stuff about him in that.

Even as a non Spurs fan, who wasn't even born in the year it covers I thought it was a very interesting read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Glory-Game-Football-Mainstream/dp/1840182423

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Mrs Doyle
March 3, 2015, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
R.I.P. Dave your not allowed to make the sort of no nonsense tackles he made today. Pity really it was a great part of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
tarka
March 3, 2015, 5:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Maringer
Before my time, but I hear that Franny Lee was notorious for 'winning' penalties by flinging himself to the ground dramatically whenever a defender got near him. No different to Ashley Young et al these days, really.

I'll never forget Franny Lee fighting with Norman Hunter - an infamous hard man at the time, and in my book the considerably smaller Lee won on points!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
grimsby pete
March 3, 2015, 5:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from tarka

I'll never forget Franny Lee fighting with Norman Hunter - an infamous hard man at the time, and in my book the considerably smaller Lee won on points!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs

Yes that was a good one, Keegan v Bremner was another,

You just don't see a good fight anymore.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
TonySmith
March 3, 2015, 10:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
I watched an old highlights show from the 70's on YouTube recently in which Jimmy Hill was talking about the scandalous number of bookings in the featured match. There were three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
barralad
March 4, 2015, 11:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from DNMariner
Broke his leg, and then broke the same one again in his first match back yet still bounced back and didn't change as a player at all. It was either Mullery's or Greaves' autobiography that said he would spend days running up and down the terraces at White Hart Lane just to build the strength back up in his leg. Apparently after going down, his first instinct was to try and get up and go after the ball until he realised his foot was pointing in the wrong direction. Truly a different breed to what we have today.

I think the original break was in a European match against Man Utd. Changed the whole tie....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
newfootballer
March 5, 2015, 1:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
What a tremendous player Dave was a brilliant player indeed and one of the hardest players in the history of football.. Dave actually cost me my immediate move to Derby County. Town as a team went over to Derby play a indoor match which was going to finalise my expected move to Derby.
There was no Brian Clough at the game he had gone to Spurs to sign Dave McKay in london, I got told that he signed him to help me to get the ball in midfield.
Can you imagine that, playing with Dave Mc Kay in midfield. But it was not meant to be Town wanted to much money for myself. Rest in peace Dave you were a great player and would have loved to have been in the same team as you.
Dave Boylen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 5, 2015, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from newfootballer
What a tremendous player Dave was a brilliant player indeed and one of the hardest players in the history of football.. Dave actually cost me my immediate move to Derby County. Town as a team went over to Derby play a indoor match which was going to finalise my expected move to Derby.
There was no Brian Clough at the game he had gone to Spurs to sign Dave McKay in london, I got told that he signed him to help me to get the ball in midfield.
Can you imagine that, playing with Dave Mc Kay in midfield. But it was not meant to be Town wanted to much money for myself. Rest in peace Dave you were a great player and would have loved to have been in the same team as you.
Dave Boylen

It would have been great Dave ............ but I wish it had been at Grimsby!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP  DAVE

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.