Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from BIGChris

He was indeed and also managed Derby to the League title

It was good honest football in Dave's day,

Yes he was hard but not dirty,

Also there was very little cheating by pulling of shirts,

A good crunching tackle where you saw players stay down only when they were injured,

The good old days.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 11:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete

It was good honest football in Dave's day,

Yes he was hard but not dirty,

Also there was very little cheating by pulling of shirts,

A good crunching tackle where you saw players stay down only when they were injured,

The good old days.

He fitted into the football of the day well and by todays standards he would be banned sine die. As would many many others. Every side had a few who 'could look after themselves', many of whom have been mentioned but i think some look back on them as the good old days.

I agree they didnt get the rolling about, diving and play acting but lets face it, it was quite violent. Referees hardly made decisions, they just let players get on with it
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 11:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

He fitted into the football of the day well and by todays standards he would be banned sine die. As would many many others. Every side had a few who 'could look after themselves', many of whom have been mentioned but i think some look back on them as the good old days.

I agree they didnt get the rolling about, diving and play acting but lets face it, it was quite violent. Referees hardly made decisions, they just let players get on with it

Never mind the ball, get on with the game!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2015, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I think that today,  Bobby Cumming would "lay a few out" before he got his marching orders.

No chance though these days to put an opponent into the Barratt Stand hoardings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
diehardmariner
March 3, 2015, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,090
Gold Stars: 518
I'm not long enough in the tooth to recall the aforementioned hard men but from what I've seen on clips, replays etc. there was just as much cheating as there is today, it was just in a different form.

Whereas today you get shirts pulled and players diving, previously a set of studs down the back of the calf or a forearm smash was the call of the day.  

I don't condone cheating at all.  I hate diving and I've cringed when Town players have done it but football rules have always been bent and broken, how that has happened has changed over time.  It's only in the modern game that everything is caught on camera and then analysed to death to fill up TV time/back pages.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
mike502
March 3, 2015, 12:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Not directly Mackay-related, but apparently David Elleray reviewed a tape of the 1969-70 FA Cup final replay about 30 years later and concluded that, with modern refereeing standards, there would have been six red cards and twenty yellows.  At the time, the referee issued one yellow card!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Maringer
March 3, 2015, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Before my time, but I hear that Franny Lee was notorious for 'winning' penalties by flinging himself to the ground dramatically whenever a defender got near him. No different to Ashley Young et al these days, really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
grimsby pete
March 3, 2015, 12:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from mike502
Not directly Mackay-related, but apparently David Elleray reviewed a tape of the 1969-70 FA Cup final replay about 30 years later and concluded that, with modern refereeing standards, there would have been six red cards and twenty yellows.  At the time, the referee issued one yellow card!

Also Nat Lofthouse would have been sent off when he barged Harry Gregg into the goal,

Instead he scored.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Maringer
March 3, 2015, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from mike502

I remember about ten years ago, there was a phase where they repeated older editions Match of the Day (or possibly the ITV equivalent) on telly during the afternoon. During one of these repeats, I remember catching 15 minutes of highlights filmed in the mid to late 1980s, Newcastle vs Forest at St. James Park, and was amazed at some of the tackles going in. Basically, every time the ball went towards Gascoigne, Des Walker (who I never remember being a dirty player) simply went through the back of him two-footed to win the ball! No foul awarded and both players just got up and carried on with things. I remember thinking at the time that it would have been an almost certain red card in the modern day yet the ref didn't even blow for a foul!

Just goes to show how much has changed in recent years. On the other hand, I doubt the referees back then would allow players to get away with the shirt-pulling and obstruction which now seems to be the norm at set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 1:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Very hard to compare modern with the past. Ireland's injury at the weekend was horrendous for example and went unpunished by the referee.

Just my impressions from the past but the game seemed more honest and open in terms of physical contact. The tackle from behind is now banned yet in all honesty in probably hundreds of games I saw in the 60s and 70s I don't remember a really serious injury from that tackle, maybe because the boots covered the ankle better. The broken bones seemed to come from direct collisions and frontal tackles largely because those boots were lethal battering weapons.

I did see players deliberately kick out at opponents and look for "afters" when they had been tackled but there again that happens now. I saw Jim Baxter at Forest turn round after being clobbered and give the lad who did it a look of pity before leaving him in a heap the next time the ball came him. He was sent off then as he would be now.

Goalkeepers were unprotected and there were high profile injuries to some like Wood, Gregg, Trautmann etc. but goalkeepers still get injured now and to my mind there is far more foul play and violence in the penalty area than ever there was in those days.

Nobody can really say that players from those days would not survive now because they would simply have found other ways to do what they did. Ron Harris would still chop and Norman would still bite yer legs only with a bit more subtlety and from a different direction. I think Dave Mackay would still have been a great player today, he was clever enough to sort it out.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP  DAVE

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.