16 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
So our esteemed leader now believes that today was the most difficult win of the three. Really? More difficult than winning at the league leaders?

Fed up of saying it - a combination of 442 at home, Paul Hurst and his obsession with Lenny will keep us in this godforsakenshitehole of a league. According to the pre-match interview 'the rest of the team know what Lenny brings'. Could you please share it with the rest of us? Is it the half-time oranges? The post-match beer? A goal from open play would be nice. A shot on target even.
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2015, 7:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Three wins in a row, up to third, still in with a shout and you're bitching about interviews. Unbelievable is about right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Three wins in a row, up to third, still in with a shout and you're bitching about interviews. Unbelievable is about right.

So you're saying that beating the mighty Braintree 1-0 with your only shot on target is harder than winning away at the league leaders?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 158
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,469
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So you're saying that beating the mighty Braintree 1-0 with your only shot on target is harder than winning away at the league leaders?

When your team hasn't played well, yes.

We were shite yet still won. When you play well, you expect to win. Our problem all too often has been failing to win games like the one today. The three points you receive at the end of the game are still exactly the same.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 158
DocTower
February 28, 2015, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Unfortunately , or fortunately illness prevented me from attending . Sounded as bad as people are saying .  Agree wholeheartedly with your comments , however others views it differently . Three points are three points ok , but it's the manner of how we get them . Some are willing to accept it and say nothing , some give comments and get slated .  Can't win either way .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 158
February 28, 2015, 7:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
So our esteemed leader now believes that today was the most difficult win of the three. Really? More difficult than winning at the league leaders?

Fed up of saying it - a combination of 442 at home, Paul Hurst and his obsession with Lenny will keep us in this godforsakenshitehole of a league. According to the pre-match interview 'the rest of the team know what Lenny brings'. Could you please share it with the rest of us? Is it the half-time oranges? The post-match beer? A goal from open play would be nice. A shot on target even.

You are so right with the rigid 4-4-2. I felt for Christian Jolley today when he come on, the lad is a born outside forward. He isn't a centre forward and never will be. He wants the ball played in front of him, we've seen him destroy us playing wide left of a front three. We are so strong in the middle of the park. We have Disley, Clay, Paddy and Scott Brown. Any three of them would be superb in this league, Macreth would be superb playing wide of the central striker. We can call on Palmer who can do LJL's hold up job, be a physical presence and score goals. I'd be fine with either starting. 4-3-3 does require full backs get a bit further forward, perhaps Magnay and Robertson in particular aren't ideal there but overall the squad makeup is begging for a 4-3-3. At home, we are struggling to break teams down, I know it's generally more about players than formations but we have square pegs in round holes. Put the round pegs in round holes and let them go! We have time, we have a cushion in the play offs but let's go for the title.
Reply: 5 - 158
psgmariner
February 28, 2015, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
It was boring and dull today but 3 points is all that matters. Hurst annoys me but I find it hard to be critical when we are winning.

That said, I can see why home gates are low. Hard working watching that and none of the fun of going away.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 158
jonnyboy82
February 28, 2015, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Boring match.

Boring performance.

Boring experience.

Boring manager.

3 points.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

When your team hasn't played well, yes.

We were shite yet still won. When you play well, you expect to win. Our problem all too often has been failing to win games like the one today. The three points you receive at the end of the game are still exactly the same.

Yep, they are the same three points that we have chucked away in so many home games by not being bold enough tactically or attacking enough at the start of games.

Hurst talks about negative fans a lot. Why doesn't he try some positive tactics to get what's left of the home faithful to cheer not moan.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 158
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 7:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from psgmariner
It was boring and dull today but 3 points is all that matters. Hurst annoys me but I find it hard to be critical when we are winning.

That said, I can see why home gates are low. Hard working watching that and none of the fun of going away.

Not for me. I understand some are happy with "the end justifies the Means" approach but i'd like to see a bit of skill and flair now and again.

What i am seeing regularly at BP is not the game i fell in love with and got me so enthused that i couldn't wait for the next home game.

All about opinions i know but there are lots of stayaways that i know who have voted with their feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 158
TAGG
February 28, 2015, 7:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from psgmariner

"3 points is all that matters" that may be the case with a side that people are queueing up to watch the but its no good saying that about a side like Town who need bums on seats.
The type of football we play will not get anyone extra through the gate in fact it will do the opposite.
If 3 points is all that counts then why are people walking away from BP after games on such a downer even after a win???? And why are people not flooding back to BP in numbers seeing as we are 3rd in the league????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 158
headingly_mariner
February 28, 2015, 7:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
That was a tough game, different to Tuesday because Braintree were well organised and set out to be difficult to break down, so many times in the past we have fails to win tricky games like that, today we dealt with it. 3 wins on the spin and up to third in the table, good day imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
I don't know what it was like today but BP was like a morgue on Tuesday and that's pretty telling as we won the game, beat the leaders in the previous game and won today. Those results are excellent and what really matters, but this is a promotion push and we are winning games, yet the home crowds are almost silent, with many staying away and lots that do go immensely frustrated. Why is this?

I've got my own view, but maybe I'm missing something?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 158
TAGG
February 28, 2015, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from chaos33
I don't know what it was like today but BP was like a morgue on Tuesday and that's pretty telling as we won the game, beat the leaders in the previous game and won today. Those results are excellent and what really matters, but this is a promotion push and we are winning games, yet the home crowds are almost silent, with many staying away and lots that do go immensely frustrated. Why is this?

That's easy. The football is as boring as the manager.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 158
carrot top
February 28, 2015, 8:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from TAGG

"3 points is all that matters" that may be the case with a side that people are queueing up to watch the but its no good saying that about a side like Town who need bums on seats.
The type of football we play will not get anyone extra through the gate in fact it will do the opposite.
If 3 points is all that counts then why are people walking away from BP after games on such a downer even after a win???? And why are people not flooding back to BP in numbers seeing as we are 3rd in the league????

They are not flooding back because it is the Conference when all said and done. Hardly ever any away fans means lack of atmosphere. IMO I think if we were in league 1 we wouldn't get many more, possibly ave 4000.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 158
Vance Warner
February 28, 2015, 8:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Unbelievable people moaning after 3 wins on the bounce. Bristol Rovers only scraped a win against Braintree on Tues. We'd all like to see us destroying teams with free flowing football but at this stage of the season it's all about the 3 points. There are no teams in this league that are enjoyable to watch every week. We're 3rd in the league and people are calling for changes in formation and style of play. If we don't go up this season then it's time for a change but with 10 games to go lets get behind them FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 158
Cod Cheeks
February 28, 2015, 8:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from chaos33

We need to be entertained better than the last 2 games. The manager is so so cautious in everything he does and although we're 3rd in the league, it will cost us. After Tuesdays boredom in the cold, If I wasn't a season ticket holder, I would not have gone today.
Only 2 points of note in the full 90 minutes: the goalmouth scramble (in our goalmouth) and Disleys excellent goal. A 3rd could be Magnays performance but when a right back is consistently our best player then there's something wrong with the rest of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 158
KK_DOG
February 28, 2015, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

We need to be entertained better than the last 2 games. The manager is so so cautious in everything he does and although we're 3rd in the league, it will cost us. After Tuesdays boredom in the cold, If I wasn't a season ticket holder, I would not have gone today.
Only 2 points of note in the full 90 minutes: the goalmouth scramble (in our goalmouth) and Disleys excellent goal. A 3rd could be Magnays performance but when a right back is consistently our best player then there's something wrong with the rest of it.

Add to that Pearson's run in the first half !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 28, 2015, 8:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Expecting entertainment is a tall order at this stage of the season for any team with things so tight in the league. Plus the manager does not rate entertaining very high on his priorities does he? He's the one who will accept 1-0 every game. Fair enough.

But I don't think entertainment is the problem. Failing to score goals is the problem. If your strikers are not scoring then something is obviously wrong and a good manager will not be fooled by streaky 1-0 wins where few chances are made and even fewer taken. The pressure on the defence is there in every game.

So a good manager would know that 1-0 could easily become 1-1 or 1-2 if the luck runs the other way. A good manager would not sit around waiting for that to happen, he would change his tactics or players or both while the going is good.

That's what worries me. 9 points this week is great, our position looks promising ....... on paper

I'm not even concerned about the lack of a Buckleyesque style of play. But the banana skins of just one defensive mistake or two, a terrible refereeing decision or a simple bad bounce of the ball in a couple of games could send us right back into the chasing pack because we simply do not score enough goals to kill off the opposition.

One of the two strikers had better start contributing more than just a cross country run every game and soon.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 158
moosey_club
February 28, 2015, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Expecting entertainment is a tall order at this stage of the season for any team with things so tight in the league. Plus the manager does not rate entertaining very high on his priorities does he? He's the one who will accept 1-0 every game. Fair enough.

But I don't think entertainment is the problem. Failing to score goals is the problem. If your strikers are not scoring then something is obviously wrong and a good manager will not be fooled by streaky 1-0 wins where few chances are made and even fewer taken. The pressure on the defence is there in every game.

So a good manager would know that 1-0 could easily become 1-1 or 1-2 if the luck runs the other way. A good manager would not sit around waiting for that to happen, he would change his tactics or players or both while the going is good.

That's what worries me. 9 points this week is great, our position looks promising ....... on paper

I'm not even concerned about the lack of a Buckleyesque style of play. But the banana skins of just one defensive mistake or two, a terrible refereeing decision or a simple bad bounce of the ball in a couple of games could send us right back into the chasing pack because we simply do not score enough goals to kill off the opposition.

One of the two strikers had better start contributing more than just a cross country run every game and soon.

Totally agree..streaky 1-0 wins are great if you are in pole position...they may just yet sneak the title, but i doubt it...... and as we know streaky performances dont get you through the play off process..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Probably the best response to the question from TRRFC. I agree with you. I don't think boredom covers it - I wasn't bored on Tuesday. I was frustrated. Hurst frustrates me immensely. I think it's about our ethos and set up. Our lack of ambition and guts. Big ideas. Swagger etc. It's not there.
Notice Hurst's lack of direction, vocal input etc from the touchline. The club need to look like they know what they're doing and believe they can do it, and maybe the fans would follow suit.

We're not energetic and urgent enough. We seem to hedge our bets, think ourselves into tight spots, set too low standards. This is about Hurst and the general lack of ambition and self confidence about those around the club for me. It's too conservative and defensive, with too much left to chance. With the players we've got we should be destroying teams at BP. We should have set our stall out as title chasers at the start of the season and stuck to it. We're as big and as competent as any other team in this division, but the club don't show it. They don't buy into it. They don't project it. We seem to be just trying to keep it tight and hope for the best. I think people feel that and act accordingly. They're nervous and edgy and expect disappointment, because these are the signals they get.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
February 28, 2015, 9:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,168
Bristol Rovers have scored fewer goals than us.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 158
February 28, 2015, 9:23pm
Guest User
Hurst out, promotion isn't good enough for Grimsby Town fans. Our history and size of the club automatically means that we should be demolishing every team in this league and we shouldn't need to earn the right to play league football.
Reply: 22 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1739
Hurst out, promotion isn't good enough for Grimsby Town fans. Our history and size of the club automatically means that we should be demolishing every team in this league and we shouldn't need to earn the right to play league football.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more!  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Look, you're missing the point GF.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Look, if your not able to take part in a reasoned, honest and informed discussion GF, then keep out out of it. Just posting facetious, churlish stuff and dishing out red crosses isn't really contributing much. You're missing the points.

Quite. We have to expect to be in the play offs and I can't see us being good enough to win our home leg.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 28, 2015, 9:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Bristol Rovers have scored fewer goals than us.

True enough. But if you take away those two whopping wins in early season the comparison isn't quite so good is it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 158
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
So, 1-0 wins aren't good enough, but if you score a lot of goals, they don't count?  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 158
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2015, 9:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
So, 1-0 wins aren't good enough, but if you score a lot of goals, they don't count?  

1-0 wins aren't good enough for Town. They're fine for Bristol Rovers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 158
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2015, 10:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Quite. We have to expect to be in the play offs and I can't see us being good enough to win our home leg.

Absolutely. Impossible to see us winning at home against someone like Barnet, Forest Green or Halifax. If we only make the play offs we should probably withdraw from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 158
Mariner Timsky
February 28, 2015, 10:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
This thread should be deleted! Withdraw from the Play Offs!?!? What the heck is wrong with people?!!? We have 9 points this week, , scored 5 and conceded a wonder goal, , yes the home games haven't been enthralling affairs but we are WINNING and have 10 more games to go and not many of them are going to be all that entertaining but let's just get out of this league and be entertained in Lg2

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 158
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I was watching Makreth today from the Upper as he was right in front of me for the first half. What  i noticed was that he always had half an eye on his defensive duties. Never really committed himself to go forward unless we were high up the pitch and never gambled to get behind the full back. He was never at any stage goalside of the full back. A couple of times when the play was on the other wing, he never even ventured forward at all, despite the fact that the ball may have found it's way over to his side of the goal and give him a chance to score or deliver the ball back into the mix. That must come from instruction. It's like he was playing with shackles on.

RRFC is right. It's not about entertainment as such, it's about goalscoring and whatever way we play, we just don't do enough of it. Very rarely do we get ourselves into a comfortable position where we can give fringe players a run out and rest key players. Most substitutions are trying to make things happen that should have happened earlier in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
That last point is a very good one mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 158
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33
That last point is a very good one mate.

Doubt many will see it as such. I'll probably be labelled a doom-monger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
February 28, 2015, 10:23pm

True enough. But if you take away those two whopping wins in early season the comparison isn't quite so good is it?

That's right, if you do that, we have very similar goals scored. Especially if you remove their two highest scoring games too.

Personally I thng PH has too much of a pragmatic approach to the game, relying on percentage football much in the same way as Slade did. As a purist, I can't abide it, but it didn't stop me going mental when Kalala scored, nor will it stop me aching for us to get promotion playing that way. I'd just prefer there to be another way of doing it. However I'm not the manager so it doesn't matter one bit what I think, or, as a fan of 40+ years, does it???

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker

That's right, if you do that, we have very similar goals scored. Especially if you remove their two highest scoring games too.

Personally I thng PH has too much of a pragmatic approach to the game, relying on percentage football much in the same way as Slade did. As a purist, I can't abide it, but it didn't stop me going mental when Kalala scored, nor will it stop me aching for us to get promotion playing that way. I'd just prefer there to be another way of doing it. However I'm not the manager so it doesn't matter one bit what I think, or, as a fan of 40+ years, does it???

But it does, because you pay their wages when you walk through the turnstile. Yes, promotion is achievable, but I think we can all see that some players attacking instincts are being stifled, indeed, it's one reason one player left.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 158
barralad
February 28, 2015, 11:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But it does, because you pay their wages when you walk through the turnstile. Yes, promotion is achievable, but I think we can all see that some players attacking instincts are being stifled, indeed, it's one reason one player left.

I'd leve to see the evidence for that last comment.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 158
Vance Warner
February 28, 2015, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
But there's got to be a balance. You look at any winger in any league playing 442 and they have to do their defensive duties. If you really want to analyse how many players we commit forward you could look at how often the central midfielders get beyond the strikers. I'd like to see us do this more but the winning goals today and against Barnet have come from Disley doing this so it's obviously something we're working on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 158
Biccys
February 28, 2015, 11:30pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Not for me. I understand some are happy with "the end justifies the Means" approach but i'd like to see a bit of skill and flair now and again.

What i am seeing regularly at BP is not the game i fell in love with and got me so enthused that i couldn't wait for the next home game.

All about opinions i know but there are lots of stayaways that i know who have voted with their feet.

The end justifying the means is all very honourable, but IF we go up by this means, what about the next season...? If it's as turgid as this season, we may as well be down here where the away fans are nice, the beer better and there are some actually nice places to go..

intercourse the fact that the prize money is massively better in L2, I for one don't really care for the financial stats. All I want to see is GTFC entertaining me with good football, goals and cup runs and a feeling of superiority on our close neighbours.

Do I get a feeling of superiority from a healthy balance sheet? No.

Do I get a feeling of superiority from us beating teams by lots of goals and exciting football. Yes.

Does it matter what division I see that in? A bit, maybe. But we're historically a L1. L2 Yoyo club anyway. Yeah, I'd be happy to get there again but realistically it's a while away judging from this last few months performances.

Dunno what that all means.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 158
jonnyboy82
February 28, 2015, 11:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1739

The thing is promotion is more than good enough for Grimsby town fans.

Have we been promoted ?

answer is NO.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 158
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
We're a Conference club with Conference players paying Conference wages.

Hopefully we'll manage to get ourselves promoted sooner rather than later, but we just don't have any sort of divine right to go up.

As with most people, I'd be a lot happier if we were playing good football more frequently - back in the Buckley Mk. 1 era I remember being disappointed that we'd not played well in the final game against Torquay when I ought to have been delighted we had won promotion! I've had to become a pragmatist since then.

To be honest, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the board tonight on a day when we've won our third consecutive game. If we'd lost heavily then you could perhaps understand the angst, but we squeezed through following a poor performance which any Town fan would surely have to admit is a good thing?

No one is claiming we've played well today, but the result is what counts when you've played this poorly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 158
Badger57
February 28, 2015, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from chaos33
Probably the best response to the question from TRRFC. I agree with you. I don't think boredom covers it - I wasn't bored on Tuesday. I was frustrated. Hurst frustrates me immensely. I think it's about our ethos and set up. Our lack of ambition and guts. Big ideas. Swagger etc. It's not there.
Notice Hurst's lack of direction, vocal input etc from the touchline. The club need to look like they know what they're doing and believe they can do it, and maybe the fans would follow suit.

We're not energetic and urgent enough. We seem to hedge our bets, think ourselves into tight spots, set too low standards. This is about Hurst and the general lack of ambition and self confidence about those around the club for me. It's too conservative and defensive, with too much left to chance. With the players we've got we should be destroying teams at BP. We should have set our stall out as title chasers at the start of the season and stuck to it. We're as big and as competent as any other team in this division, but the club don't show it. They don't buy into it. They don't project it. We seem to be just trying to keep it tight and hope for the best. I think people feel that and act accordingly. They're nervous and edgy and expect disappointment, because these are the signals they get.

PERFECT Chaos,  PERFECT and how anyone can give a x to that God only knows. Hurst is a liability.  He will not last. He will never go down as a Town favourite even if we get promoted. We are doing OK despite Hurst, not because of him. If some of former favourites were in charge we would be pulling in crowds of 5 or 6 thousand with being in the position we are.I'm certain of that. Can't wait until he inevitably leaves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They know he will start. Not sure what else, seems on a bit of an ego-trip. Felt sorry for him early season before his goal-rush but seemed to be trying harder then, even if it was a little too hard and resulting in daft misses.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 158
MarinerWY
March 1, 2015, 12:28am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The thing is promotion is more than good enough for Grimsby town fans.

Have we been promoted ?

answer is NO.

The answer is not yet. We are 3rd with 10 games left. It is extremely unlikely we will catch 1st place, whilst still doable - but we have every chance of going up as the best team in the play-off spots.

It's a bit ridiculous to not at least wait till the end of the season to draw your conclusions - especially when we are in a very strong position.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Hopefully we'll manage to get ourselves promoted sooner rather than later, but we just don't have any sort of divine right to go up.

As with most people, I'd be a lot happier if we were playing good football more frequently - back in the Buckley Mk. 1 era I remember being disappointed that we'd not played well in the final game against Torquay when I ought to have been delighted we had won promotion! I've had to become a pragmatist since then.

To be honest, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the board tonight on a day when we've won our third consecutive game. If we'd lost heavily then you could perhaps understand the angst, but we squeezed through following a poor performance which any Town fan would surely have to admit is a good thing?

No one is claiming we've played well today, but the result is what counts when you've played this poorly.

I think people's concerns are that all these poor performances are perceived by those people as lucky wins. You certainly don't want these performances in the play-offs. You want three nils, full of confidence, something one nil will never give you. It's more worry if anything I reckon.

We were one nil up, not looking like scoring another but neither were they. Why not play it safe and take a striker off. We had more chance of keeping a clean sheet with an extra man back than getting another goal given the 80 minutes or so prior to the substitution. People will moan, but it's stupid to throw away 3 points.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 158
promotion plaice
March 1, 2015, 12:53am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Simples =

Town go up through the playoffs, Hurst done his job.

Town fail to go up, Hurst given enough chances, part company with respect.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 158
chaos33
March 1, 2015, 7:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Personally I'm not 'wailing' or 'gnashing my teeth'. You've gotta be chuffed with 9 points in a week. IMO, the Telford game wasn't as bad as some would have you believe, but the ground was stony silent. I was merely wondering why BP is so subdued when the team are on a promotion push and then speculating on the possible reasons for that.
I think people on here need to learn to distinguish between moaning and general or critical discussion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 158
ackomariner
March 1, 2015, 8:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33

Personally I'm not 'wailing' or 'gnashing my teeth'. You've gotta be chuffed with 9 points in a week. IMO, the Telford game wasn't as bad as some would have you believe, but the ground was stony silent. I was merely wondering why BP is so subdued when the team are on a promotion push and then speculating on the possible reasons for that.
I think people on here need to learn to distinguish between moaning and general or critical discussion.

Agree....I said on another thread the other day about atmosphere at BP and said that the football on the pitch will be the only thing to get the crowd going...whilst it's boring the crowd will stay silent

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who cares which was the hardest of the three - we won them all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker

Who cares which was the hardest of the three - we won them all.

We did. But once again, the most positive performance - by a mile - was away from home. I have no problem with our tactics away from home but we are mind-numbingly dull and defensive at home.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 158
oldun
March 1, 2015, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
The fact is the game was not very entertaining but that was not town's fault. Fans seem to ignore the fact that there was another team out there and they efficiently closed down the game and prevented us from creating chances so I do not blame our strikers yesterday, unlike Tuesday when we wasted many chances. When we come up against a situation where he opposition are also trying to win the game we also look a better team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 158
Richard Cranium
March 1, 2015, 9:45am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
What a thread this would have been if we had lost !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 158
Richard Cranium
March 1, 2015, 9:46am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
This thread should be deleted! Withdraw from the Play Offs!?!? What the heck is wrong with people?!!? We have 9 points this week, , scored 5 and conceded a wonder goal, , yes the home games haven't been enthralling affairs but we are WINNING and have 10 more games to go and not many of them are going to be all that entertaining but let's just get out of this league and be entertained in Lg2
Well said

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Not you personally, perhaps, but we're now into page 6 of a thread bitching about the manager's post-match interview following our third win in a week! That marks out wailing and gnashing of teeth to me. That is what is truly unbelievable.

You're quite right about the Telford game where we played pretty well in the first half but were poor in the second half. Some people seem to be retrospectively deciding it was a terrible performance for some reason or other (7 shots on target, their keeper was probably the man of the match) when it simply wasn't.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 158
chaos33
March 1, 2015, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

I can't find any reference to withdrawing from the play offs in this thread???
Why do you have a problem with this discussion? Saying the thread should be deleted sounds a bit, well.....North Korean to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Not you personally, perhaps, but we're now into page 6 of a thread bitching about the manager's post-match interview following our third win in a week! That marks out wailing and gnashing of teeth to me. That is what is truly unbelievable.

You're quite right about the Telford game where we played pretty well in the first half but were poor in the second half. Some people seem to be retrospectively deciding it was a terrible performance for some reason or other (7 shots on target, their keeper was probably the man of the match) when it simply wasn't.

It wasn't a terrible performance on Tuesday, but there were poor individual performances - one in particular.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It wasn't a terrible performance on Tuesday, but there were poor individual performances - one in particular.

Keep on banging the drum...  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 158
ackomariner
March 1, 2015, 10:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I will do don't worry about that

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 158
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 10:50am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from oldun
The fact is the game was not very entertaining but that was not town's fault. Fans seem to ignore the fact that there was another team out there and they efficiently closed down the game and prevented us from creating chances so I do not blame our strikers yesterday, unlike Tuesday when we wasted many chances. When we come up against a situation where he opposition are also trying to win the game we also look a better team.

Yeah, this cropped up in another thread. Any team in the conference is capable of stifling a match if their only ambition is not to score, even when 1-0 down! I assumed that goal would bring Braintree out and we were in for a decent 2nd half, but it seems they didn't open up at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

If you so wish - Paul Hurst's obsession with Lenny will cost us promotion and ultimately, his job.

I could put up with early season Lenny. He balanced his lack of ability with considerable effort. I've seen him twice this week and on both occasions, there has been little or no movement off the ball, no making space for runners and very rarely won anything in the air. All fundamental parts of forward play.

Along with several others, I've noticed how several of our squad would look better in a 433 - Palmer, Jolley, Arnold, Mackreth, Paddy, Clay yet we continue with turgid 442 to accommodate Lenny. Why? He doesn't score, he rarely hits the target.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 158
EY Mariner
March 1, 2015, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep, they are the same three points that we have chucked away in so many home games by not being bold enough tactically or attacking enough at the start of games.

Hurst talks about negative fans a lot. Why doesn't he try some positive tactics to get what's left of the home faithful to cheer not moan.

I think he struggles to understand, as I do, what fans have to moan about when we're third in the table and still in the title race with 10 games to go. That doesn't mean I don't share many of the frustrations expressed about a performance yesterday in which our front two were feeding off crumbs, never mind scraps for large parts of the game. But at this stage of the season, putting points on the board is the only thing that matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 158
headingly_mariner
March 1, 2015, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you so wish - Paul Hurst's obsession with Lenny will cost us promotion and ultimately, his job.

I could put up with early season Lenny. He balanced his lack of ability with considerable effort. I've seen him twice this week and on both occasions, there has been little or no movement off the ball, no making space for runners and very rarely won anything in the air. All fundamental parts of forward play.

Along with several others, I've noticed how several of our squad would look better in a 433 - Palmer, Jolley, Arnold, Mackreth, Paddy, Clay yet we continue with turgid 442 to accommodate Lenny. Why? He doesn't score, he rarely hits the target.

How many games have you seen? He has 15 goals and has been one of our most consistent performers, he has had an excellent season so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 11:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Was that because you never went to the games?

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 158
March 1, 2015, 11:42am
Guest User
You guys are crazy!! This is the funniest thing I ve read for years on here... And there's been some crap on the fishy before....

9 pts in a week and third in the table. Now bitching cos we re not being entertained, I m gonna really suggest you guys get away from your computers and go do something interesting or fun, because it's abundantly clear that the problem here is not the manager, or Lenny or whatever other rubbish you guys come out with...

Brilliant!!
Reply: 63 - 158
Tinymariner
March 1, 2015, 11:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
If you want entertainment, watch this game from yesterday.
http://youtu.be/V2HPAA3EWvU

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Lenny was hopeless yesterday, just like all the other attackers on the pitch, but to claim he didn't show any movement on Tuesday night strikes me as bizarre. One of his chances came when he ran through onto a ball helped on by Jolley in which he beat the defence than ran 40 yards to goal before having his shot well-saved. The one he put over the bar after a near post effort came because he ran out wide for the ball and beat the defender leaving a clear run towards goal. His effort then was poor, but the movement was decent. A good turn for the effort which hit the bar. The one he only just managed to reach and toe-ended just over the bar from Robertson's cross was a good run towards the near-post!

His finishing wasn't great on Tuesday and he should certainly have scored, but he wasn't all that bad overall.

For me, LJL looked jaded yesterday and I expect Palmer would have been brought on in the second half if there weren't concerns about his fitness. The question for me is why Pittman also looked jaded pretty much from the start as he's certainly not been overplayed recently.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Probably lol! What frustrates me is the fact we have a pretty talented squad, probably the most talented we've had since being in this league, yet we seem determined to play to the strengths of one of our least talented players.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Yeah, this cropped up in another thread. Any team in the conference is capable of stifling a match if their only ambition is not to score, even when 1-0 down! I assumed that goal would bring Braintree out and we were in for a decent 2nd half, but it seems they didn't open up at all.

They did have a go after we scored. In fact they pretty much hogged the ball the whole of the second half. They just weren't good enough to do anything with their possession and we weren't good enough to exploit the extra space we had. They looked under no more pressure with 10 men than they did with 11.

To be honest both sides were very poor in an attacking sense and it was a very dull match indeed.

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers and told that if we want entertainment, we need to do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Well plenty of people are doing something else on a Saturday afternoon as a result of the dire offerings at BP, which to my mind is a problem for the club.

Does it not bother anyone that we are third in the league, yet are only getting around the 3300 mark and the place is like a morgue? Does skill, flair and excitement have no place in the game anymore? Have we really been that bad for that long that people are willing to accept any old shite on the pitch as long as we pick up three points? How would people be feeling if like many times this season we hadn't managed to nick a goal and drew both games 0-0. Would those performances be acceptable then?

The big question for me now is, what if we do what we have done the last 2 seasons and fizzle out in the play offs because we can't create chances and score goals? Is it then OK to criticise another season of mostly dire fare at BP and the prospect of having to go through it all again come next August?

Finally, i am thrilled that we won the last three games but it doesn't mean that the set up is beyond criticism. There is always room for improvement. Standing still is going backwards and for me, Hurst has had us standing still for his entire reign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.

We'll agree to differ. His goal tally up to Christmas was excellent but one penalty since 19th December isn't. All I'm saying is that we have several other attacking options available to us, so why is he bomb-proof?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 158
LH
March 1, 2015, 12:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173

Although Scott Neilson was exempt from criticism despite being a bit porky and training twice in a month because occasionally he was brilliant in games. Logical.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LH

Although Scott Neilson was exempt from criticism despite being a bit porky and training twice in a month because occasionally he was brilliant in games. Logical.

Before being hounded out of the club because of the managers negativity....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

They did have a go after we scored. In fact they pretty much hogged the ball the whole of the second half. They just weren't good enough to do anything with their possession and we weren't good enough to exploit the extra space we had. They looked under no more pressure with 10 men than they did with 11.

To be honest both sides were very poor in an attacking sense and it was a very dull match indeed.

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers and told that if we want entertainment, we need to do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Well plenty of people are doing something else on a Saturday afternoon as a result of the dire offerings at BP, which to my mind is a problem for the club.

Does it not bother anyone that we are third in the league, yet are only getting around the 3300 mark and the place is like a morgue? Does skill, flair and excitement have no place in the game anymore? Have we really been that bad for that long that people are willing to accept any old shite on the pitch as long as we pick up three points? How would people be feeling if like many times this season we hadn't managed to nick a goal and drew both games 0-0. Would those performances be acceptable then?

The big question for me now is, what if we do what we have done the last 2 seasons and fizzle out in the play offs because we can't create chances and score goals? Is it then OK to criticise another season of mostly dire fare at BP and the prospect of having to go through it all again come next August?

Finally, i am thrilled that we won the last three games but it doesn't mean that the set up is beyond criticism. There is always room for improvement. Standing still is going backwards and for me, Hurst has had us standing still for his entire reign.

WHS with bells and whistles! I wish I had the typing skills to post such a long reply without falling asleep!
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 158
DocTower
March 1, 2015, 12:33pm
Cocktail Drinker

Agree , constructive criticism , but the fact that we haven't  seen any improvement implies  to me that he has reached his competency level . Unfortunately we  know nothing is going to change , what anyone says , but more are saying the same thing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
And that's the Conference in a nutshell. LJL will run 'til he drops but try as he might, he has never and will never have a clever football brain. Neilson has all the skills required but can't be arsed. The two archetypal non-league players.

Which type do you go with? Getting the balance right is the hard part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2015, 12:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
It's fear. Nothing complicated like entertainment or not being satisfied with 9 points this week or anything stupid like that. It's fear pure and simple.

It's the worry that having clawed our way so far this season by our fingernails we could lose everything through one bad refereeing decision in one game, one piece of bad luck in another and one defensive lapse in another. The margins are so tight and we are incredibly reliant on the form of the back five.

It's the concern that if any team like Braintree that sets up to park the bus, gets a goal, then we won't score two. We have runners up front but don't have a Hearn to conjure something from nothing and we don't appear to want to compensate for that with more aggressive tactics against limited opposition.

With continued luck this approach might even take us into the play offs but then we have to go out with the intention of actually winning games rather than just not losing them. It could be a big ask for a team to change its outlook like that.

Now, some may think this is unduly pessimistic but the beauty of being a pessimist is that you are rarely disappointed and the surprise when things go well is all the more pleasurable.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We'll agree to differ. His goal tally up to Christmas was excellent but one penalty since 19th December isn't. All I'm saying is that we have several other attacking options available to us, so why is he bomb-proof?

Unfortunately, the other attacking options aren't any better.

I personally find it amusing how Hannah is apparently becoming a better player, the less he is played. I've not seen him have a good game yet this season (though I've only seen home games thus far) but it seems to be assumed he'll fire us to victory if only he is played? Regardless, he's not a replacement for LJL as he needs somebody to play off and we don't have the players capable of putting clever balls through for him to run on to. I just don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

Pittman could perhaps play the target man role at a push but isn't fully recovered from his most recent injury and, in any case, played even worse than LJL yesterday. Palmer hasn't been fit to play, Jolley has been in indifferent form since his arrival.

How exactly do we have several other attacking options available to us with this in mind?

Oh, I forgot that we did have Watson available until his loan though he is yet unproven in English football. The fact that Hurst hasn't been willing to give him a start (or much game time at all) makes me think he's not ready just yet. I'd be inclined to trust his judgement on the matter as he sees him in training every day whereas we've seen about 30 minutes of play from brief sub appearances spread over a few months. It will be interesting to see how his loan spell at Gainsborough goes. If he knocks a few in there, perhaps he will return and get a chance or perhaps the loan will be extended? It seems to me that we are viewing him as a longer-term prospect.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Unfortunately, the other attacking options aren't any better.

I personally find it amusing how Hannah is apparently becoming a better player, the less he is played. I've not seen him have a good game yet this season (though I've only seen home games thus far) but it seems to be assumed he'll fire us to victory if only he is played? Regardless, he's not a replacement for LJL as he needs somebody to play off and we don't have the players capable of putting clever balls through for him to run on to. I just don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

Pittman could perhaps play the target man role at a push but isn't fully recovered from his most recent injury and, in any case, played even worse than LJL yesterday. Palmer hasn't been fit to play, Jolley has been in indifferent form since his arrival.

How exactly do we have several other attacking options available to us with this in mind?

Oh, I forgot that we did have Watson available until his loan though he is yet unproven in English football. The fact that Hurst hasn't been willing to give him a start (or much game time at all) makes me think he's not ready just yet. I'd be inclined to trust his judgement on the matter as he sees him in training every day whereas we've seen about 30 minutes of play from brief sub appearances spread over a few months. It will be interesting to see how his loan spell at Gainsborough goes. If he knocks a few in there, perhaps he will return and get a chance or perhaps the loan will be extended? It seems to me that we are viewing him as a longer-term prospect.

Was I talking about just yesterday? No. Since the New Year, we've had the options of LJL, Palmer, Jolley, Pittman, Hamish, Arnold, Neilson, Mackreth and Hannah (all of whom could play as part of a front 3) yet one name has been constant irrespective of the fact he's scored one penalty.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Love him or loathe him, LJL is pivotal to the way we play and the players we have. He's never going to be prolific, so he has to bring other things to the party, which he is capable of. Problems arise when he stops doing that as well as not scoring, which has been the case recently. He isn't winning headers, holding the ball up or linking play as well as he has done in the earlier part of the season. He looks jaded but we don't have a natural replacement. We would have to change tack if we dropped him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 158
petethemariner
March 1, 2015, 1:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Of course we are all pleased to get 3 points in each game, but the fact remains that fans DO have a right to
expect to be entertained - watching football at BP is not cheap considering the league we are in and most home
performances have been uninspiring , dull and flairless,hence 6 home defeats already for  a club pushing for
promotion, the fact is obvious that the way PH sets his teams out is ideal for away performances, which is why we
have such a good away record, but his lack of adaptability for home games has already cost us dear and is the reason we will not win the league, or sadly IMO go up via he playoffs.
I am as desperate as everyone else to see us back in the FL again, but when i think that it will condemn us to more
turgid home performances under PH if we did go up, i no longer know what to want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 158
LH
March 1, 2015, 1:32pm

Is it a right to expect to be entertained or a risk of going to watch football (especially given the wide knowledge amongst GTFC fans that we're not that entertaining to watch at the minute)?
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 158
rancido
March 1, 2015, 1:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from petethemariner
Of course we are all pleased to get 3 points in each game, but the fact remains that fans DO have a right to
expect to be entertained - watching football at BP is not cheap considering the league we are in and most home
performances have been uninspiring , dull and flairless,hence 6 home defeats already for  a club pushing for
promotion, the fact is obvious that the way PH sets his teams out is ideal for away performances, which is why we
have such a good away record, but his lack of adaptability for home games has already cost us dear and is the reason we will not win the league, or sadly IMO go up via he playoffs.
I am as desperate as everyone else to see us back in the FL again, but when i think that it will condemn us to more
turgid home performances under PH if we did go up, i no longer know what to want.

This is the conundrum though. We all want promotion and preferably this season. But if PH achieves that then he will be manager next season in charge of a league team. Will he change his cautious approach or will it be much more of the same? Some might disagree but I think he has proved that he can pick decent players but he does seem unable to get the best out of them. Of course if we do get promoted and we struggle then obviously the Board will have to make a decision about keeping him but that is for another day. It's more than likely easier to get a half decent manager if you are a league team as opposed to a non-league but getting the right manager is always a gamble. If we don't get promoted then Hurst has to go but that means finding a replacement which could resign us to another two seasons at this level and all the problems that entails.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 158
Caesar
March 1, 2015, 1:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from DocTower

Agree , constructive criticism , but the fact that we haven't  seen any improvement implies  to me that he has reached his competency level . Unfortunately we  know nothing is going to change , what anyone says , but more are saying the same thing .

This for me is what I see as our big problem at the moment. I cannot really comment on home performances as I cannot get to many and have not seen the last 2 so will have to concede to the opinion of others, but it sounds the same as the past couple of years.  We have improved the squad by a long ay IMO, and if Palmer and LJL are together up front I think that is an excellent partnership. However this is the same as last year and the year before, we look like we can just about go up, but a bad decision or a bit of bad luck and we will be left licking our wounds again.  I fear that we cannot make that next step and improve further which will prevent us from getting back into the league.  

Hurrst is almost a perfect storm, good enough that he can get us close, deliver some great victories eg. Barnet H&A, and therefore make any attempt to remove him seem mad.  We are 3rd in the league after all and have just won 3 games back to back.  But he seems so unambitious and can make overcoming part time teams like such a struggle that we have 8 pages of dicussion lamenting how poor we are despite this.  That is the same story for the past 3 years, we just have to hope that it has a different ending which it definatly can be!      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 158
March 1, 2015, 2:15pm
Guest User
Been supporting Town for 46 years and I've never left BP before the final whistle.
Yesterday at half-time I said to my two mates I was leaving. Went outside, had a smoke & a chat to a couple of other smokers who were just as underwhelmed as I was...and decided if they could stomach 45 more minutes like that then I could too.

THE POINT
I actually found myself hoping we don't get promoted this season - because that will secure Hurst's job, which means more football which, frankly, isn't worth turning up to pay and see.

Yes we're third in the league and have taken 9 points in a week, and we may get promoted. That will not matter if Grimsby Town FC play football which doesn't entertain its paying customers.
If I hadn't bought a ST I wouldn't be thinking of going to BP again this season.

Final thought: if Hamish Watson couldn't play better than LJL and Pittman did yesterday, why the hell did we sign him?
If he could - why did we loan him out?
Reply: 83 - 158
LH
March 1, 2015, 2:21pm

FFS
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 137
Been supporting Town for 46 years and I've never left BP before the final whistle.
Yesterday at half-time I said to my two mates I was leaving. Went outside, had a smoke & a chat to a couple of other smokers who were just as underwhelmed as I was...and decided if they could stomach 45 more minutes like that then I could too.

THE POINT
I actually found myself hoping we don't get promoted this season - because that will secure Hurst's job, which means more football which, frankly, isn't worth turning up to pay and see.

Yes we're third in the league and have taken 9 points in a week, and we may get promoted. That will not matter if Grimsby Town FC play football which doesn't entertain its paying customers.
If I hadn't bought a ST I wouldn't be thinking of going to BP again this season.

Final thought: if Hamish Watson couldn't play better than LJL and Pittman did yesterday, why the hell did we sign him?
If he could - why did we loan him out?

And this is where the club's financial situation is also affected. I've been less this season than any time in the last 15 years and the only game I've enjoyed was the Barnet away game, the five games at BP have been dull in the extreme. It's a proper conundrum, get promotion Hurst probably stays, fall short he probably goes. I want promotion but not Hurst - is that possible?
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 158
promotion plaice
March 1, 2015, 2:26pm

Quoted from BIGChris

So if you don't go to games you are not allowed an opinion.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 158
psgmariner
March 1, 2015, 2:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I'm one of LJL's biggest fans but he looks knackered and could do with a rest. He always puts in a proper shift and also always takes the physical battle to big hairy arsed centre backs - that takes its toll.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 2:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LH
FFS

Amen brother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 158
nickmariners
March 1, 2015, 2:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Quoted from headingly_mariner

How many games have you seen? He has 15 goals and has been one of our most consistent performers, he has had an excellent season so far.

Aahh   -- that's most unfair HM - using that hoary old chestnut of deploying data to disprove the rantings of the permanently disaffected. Good luck with that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 158
cleethorpes_mariner
March 1, 2015, 2:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313

Before being hounded out of the club because of the managers negativity....

I presume you have some proof of this wild statement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker

I presume you have some proof of this wild statement

Deep breath Cleethorpes it was a joke which  I thought reasonably clear in the context of the thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

Aahh   -- that's most unfair HM - using that hoary old chestnut of deploying data to disprove the rantings of the permanently disaffected. Good luck with that  

Data? Lenny scored 14 in the first 28 games and 1 in the 13 since.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 158
Garth
March 1, 2015, 3:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

Really! was you at the match, he was the only Grimsby player who had his name sung again and again, and got a standing ovation on his substitution, some slagging off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 3:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Really! was you at the match, he was the only Grimsby player who had his name sung again and again, and got a standing ovation on his substitution, some slagging off

I meant on this thread and specifically by one or two posters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 158
Garth
March 1, 2015, 3:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

Ok understood, the only problem with LJL at the moment is tiredness IMO, but if Hurst leaves him out apart from Palmer there is no one else capable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 158
ackomariner
March 1, 2015, 3:15pm

Cocktail Drinker

One of which is me.....I think he's shite......you don't

My opinion and has been since day one

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2015, 3:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Ok understood, the only problem with LJL at the moment is tiredness IMO, but if Hurst leaves him out apart from Palmer there is no one else capable

Well yes, but don't forget his appointment at Specsavers.

Private Message
Reply: 97 - 158
promotion plaice
March 1, 2015, 3:21pm

Quoted from Garth

Where do we rank in conference player budget because we should be right up there !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 158
chicaneuk
March 1, 2015, 4:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
It's a tough one. Whilst I'm really happy we ground out another 3 points, my concern and I think the concern of most town fans is that with these narrow victories, all it's going to take is for some decent teams to really take us to pieces. And assuming we do make it into the playoffs, I worry that the other teams are going to want it more.

I can only hope when it comes to that, Hurst manages to pull some magical motivator out of the bag and really gets the lads fired up to cruise through into promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from ginnywings

Not sure i went to the same game as you Ginny?
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chicaneuk
It's a tough one. Whilst I'm really happy we ground out another 3 points, my concern and I think the concern of most town fans is that with these narrow victories, all it's going to take is for some decent teams to really take us to pieces. And assuming we do make it into the playoffs, I worry that the other teams are going to want it more.

I can only hope when it comes to that, Hurst manages to pull some magical motivator out of the bag and really gets the lads fired up to cruise through into promotion.

Who do you think are the teams that will' take us to pieces'?

Bristol Rovers were the better team a couple of weeks ago and we are hardly likely to face them again? The others in the mix are Macc (won one lost one) FGR (won one lost one) and Barnet who we have beaten twice.

We could beat anyone or be beaten but i cant think of anyone who has is likely to take us to pieces
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Who do you think are the teams that will' take us to pieces'?

Bristol Rovers were the better team a couple of weeks ago and we are hardly likely to face them again? The others in the mix are Macc (won one lost one) FGR (won one lost one) and Barnet who we have beaten twice.

We could beat anyone or be beaten but i cant think of anyone who has is likely to take us to pieces

But that's the frustration Chris. We look good enough, on our day, to take anyone to pieces. We just don't do it often enough.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But that's the frustration Chris. We look good enough, on our day, to take anyone to pieces. We just don't do it often enough.

Dont deny tha,t but that wasnt the point made. It was that WE will get taken to pieces. Cant see it myself and wondered who the poster thought would do that to us.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 5:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
I hope I'm right - but it could be seen that this team are ones who will step up to a big occassion (Barnet, twice) and really play well in the play-offs.

I know we say every games a cup final, but there isn't a stand-out fixture between now and the end of the season for the players to stand up and be counted? (assuming we stay comfortably in the playoffs) It'd be nice to think we've finally shuck off this mantra of being 'bottlers' and really go for it in the playoffs.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 158
FishOutOfWater
March 1, 2015, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,563
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Jaws

I think people's concerns are that all these poor performances are perceived by those people as lucky wins. You certainly don't want these performances in the play-offs. You want three nils, full of confidence, something one nil will never give you. It's more worry if anything I

I said on the way out that if we get to the play-offs and to the final I'd be a nervous wreck wanting us to get over the line

The way we did get promoted in the play-offs in 98 was certainly sailing close to the wind with 1-1 away, 1-0 at home and 1-0 at Wembley though I would take that same sequence again this May without any hesitation whatsoever

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 6:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BIGChris

Not sure i went to the same game as you Ginny?

That's the way i saw it. You obviously didn't.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 158
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 6:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers

I'll grant you that criticism is still allowed after a win if you don't enjoy it. I think for most people winning is the overwhelming factor as to whether they enjoy the game or not so that's why there is bemusement at those still unhappy after 3 straight wins with just 1 goal conceded.

My own gripe would be aimed at the anti-Hurst posters who keep moving the goalposts. Earlier in the season there were complaints that we couldn't break down the lesser teams who park the bus as BP and Hurst didn't know what to do. We seem to have turned that around but now the problem is that we aren't putting 3 or 4 past them so Hurst is still clueless. There are some who are already complaining about what performances and results would be like in League 2 under Hurst!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 158
tashee69
March 1, 2015, 6:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
My thought of why the forwards are failing to score at home is that I'm fed up of seeing this hot potato football being played by either the midfield or defence that seem to lob the ball forward rather than controlling it and making a forward pass. We seem to bring it down to play it back or across the field but struggle when we go forward.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2015, 6:47pm
Special Brew Drinker

I'll grant you that criticism is still allowed after a win if you don't enjoy it. I think for most people winning is the overwhelming factor as to whether they enjoy the game or not so that's why there is bemusement at those still unhappy after 3 straight wins with just 1 goal conceded.

My own gripe would be aimed at the anti-Hurst posters who keep moving the goalposts. Earlier in the season there were complaints that we couldn't break down the lesser teams who park the bus as BP and Hurst didn't know what to do. We seem to have turned that around but now the problem is that we aren't putting 3 or 4 past them so Hurst is still clueless. There are some who are already complaining about what performances and results would be like in League 2 under Hurst!

Well here's one that isn't about being entertained. The problem is this - what would have happened if the ref had given a goal (wrongly) when the ball was on our goal line early on in the game yesterday? Do we believe that we would still have got the three points? Or if the substitution with Parslow had been immediately followed by their equaliser, would we still have been able to get the three points?

Of course that is all "what if" but when the margins are as tight as the manager appears happy with, according to his interview anyway, that is what can happen. It seems quite a few people fear it will happen if we don't kill teams off better.

It's not so much a case of winning 4-0 every week for the entertainment, (though that would be fun ) as getting more comfort zones in more games and being more aggressively after the win so the bad luck and unfortunate errors that are bound to occur sooner or later don't turn into disasters.

Private Message
Reply: 109 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker

The goalposts are set in concrete for me. I want Grimsby Town FC to be as successful as they can be. My opinion - worth just the same as yours - is that we have enough good players in the squad to be top of this league and I credit Paul Hurst for getting those players to the club. Equally, I don't believe that he knows how to get the best out of those players, and he certainly doesn't know how to get the best out of the fans, we start slowly - no momentum for the crowd to get behind and BP gradually turns into a morgue.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 158
barralad
March 1, 2015, 8:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
This thread puts me in mind of Buckley Marks 1 and 2. We all look back (well those of us old enough to!) in reverence at the brilliant football played, wishing it was like that now. Yet, at the time there were a lot of people very vociferous (but no t'internet to broadcast it on!) about how boring it was! I can remember being at a night game fairly early in the season against Port Vale where there were less than 4000 in B.P. in what is now The Championship with the build up to the game being all about "I cannot be bothered" to go for another ninety minutes of...
I vividly remember standing on the terraces at Oxford early in the 1998/99 season singing "All we are saying is give us a goal"
The man was sacked after a 0-0 away draw at Portsmouth. The interviews in the street outside the ground were all about how boring it was..
I'm (obviously) not making any comparisons between the attributes of the respective managers-merely trying to say that some peoples idea of entertainment and others differ somewhat.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 158
chaos33
March 1, 2015, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's all true mate and I remember it well. I think the salient point is that - we were in the championship. We'd obviously shown some ambition and we were rarely if ever intimidated by playing bigger clubs. Yes the football got a bit boring at times - endless, needless, go-nowhere passing with little incisiveness on occasion, but we were a little club in a big league and we weren't restrained or conservative or speculative in our play. Fast forward to the present day, and we're a big club in a little league that plays with caution and trepidation, and appears to be intimidated by the thought of being caught going too hung-ho at home to Braintree et al!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 158
oldun
March 1, 2015, 9:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ginnywings
And that's the Conference in a nutshell. LJL will run 'til he drops but try as he might, he has never and will never have a clever football brain. Neilson has all the skills required but can't be arsed. The two archetypal non-league players.

Which type do you go with? Getting the balance right is the hard part.

No brainier, Lenny every time. He has contributed much more than Neilson who flattered to deceive when he could be bothered. Found his level now until he decides he does not want to work any more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 158
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 9:41pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The goalposts are set in concrete for me. I want Grimsby Town FC to be as successful as they can be. My opinion - worth just the same as yours - is that we have enough good players in the squad to be top of this league and I credit Paul Hurst for getting those players to the club. Equally, I don't believe that he knows how to get the best out of those players, and he certainly doesn't know how to get the best out of the fans, we start slowly - no momentum for the crowd to get behind and BP gradually turns into a morgue.

I'm glad you want Town to be successful but I would hope everyone wants that fella! I think the rest of your post is a little muddled though. You say that the goalposts are set in concrete for you, but then you merely express an opinion of Hurst. It reads as though it's your opinion that is fixed as opposed to the criteria you judge him on. My point was that I find is slightly annoying when people say specifically, for example, I don't rate Hurst because because we can't break down the lesser teams at home. We then manage to beat a couple of teams who parked the bus but now that's suddenly not enough either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I'm glad you want Town to be successful but I would hope everyone wants that fella! I think the rest of your post is a little muddled though. You say that the goalposts are set in concrete for you, but then you merely express an opinion of Hurst. It reads as though it's your opinion that is fixed as opposed to the criteria you judge him on. My point was that I find is slightly annoying when people say specifically, for example, I don't rate Hurst because because we can't break down the lesser teams at home. We then manage to beat a couple of teams who parked the bus but now that's suddenly not enough either.

Fella? Are you John Fenty?
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 158
KingstonMariner
March 1, 2015, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Re: the moving the goalposts comment. I would say the criticism of Hurst's approach is that we have failed to breakdown the smaller clubs at BP often enough; and being content with 1-0 is a dangerous ploy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 158
MeanwoodMariner
March 2, 2015, 11:04am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fella? Are you John Fenty?

Yeah, because I get mildly irritated by sloppy logic I must be part of a mythical blind pro-Fenty/Hurst brigade.

FWIW I don't think results are sufficient by themselves. Whatever division we're in, whatever position we are in the league, if going to BP is not enjoyable then what's the point? But we do seem to be playing better of late, Braintree match aside, so I'm happy for Hurst to keep going for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 158
mike_d
March 2, 2015, 2:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Just to say we've beaten Braintree twice this season. Barnet drew and beat them. Bristol Rovers lost one, won one. They're not as bad as a lot of the people on here think.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 158
Maringer
March 2, 2015, 3:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike_d
Just to say we've beaten Braintree twice this season. Barnet drew and beat them. Bristol Rovers lost one, won one. They're not as bad as a lot of the people on here think.

Ah, but I bet that Rovers lost that game playing with some real style.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2015, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike_d

How about the collective record against Telford or anyone else in the bottom half. Lies, damned lies and statistics eh!
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 158
mariner91
March 2, 2015, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How about the collective record against Telford or anyone else in the bottom half. Lies, damned lies and statistics eh!

Or how about the fact that we're third in the table and have won our last three games? Nobody is saying that we're a brilliant side, I certainly don't think you'd find many willing to argue that we're the most exciting team in the land either. However, we have a chance of promotion still and with 10 games left I'd take 10 boring 1-0 wins right now if it means we get back to the FL. This whole thread is ridiculous and seems to stem from a desire for some to moan about something even at times when there is relatively little to moan about. I know many don't like PH and the way he sets his teams out but I honestly feel if he doesn't get it right this year he'll be gone in May. Until then let's back the team and try and be positive unless there is a genuine reason to moan about something. And FFS let's stop moaning about insignificant things that are said in interviews.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 158
mike_d
March 2, 2015, 5:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Barnet drew once, won once against Telford.

Bristol won three times, but "only" 1-0 each time.

GTFC drew once, won once.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 158
horsforthmariner
March 2, 2015, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,596
Gold Stars: 9
We are never going to go through a season winning every game 4 or 5 nil, braintree weren't a bad side and it was very windy. A few of our best players were retuning from injury.

We got 3 points, we are up to third, we've won 6 out of last 8 matches. The Club and  Manager aren't going to make any major changes at this stage of the season so lets all get behind the team and end this nonsense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2015, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Or how about the fact that we're third in the table and have won our last three games? Nobody is saying that we're a brilliant side, I certainly don't think you'd find many willing to argue that we're the most exciting team in the land either. However, we have a chance of promotion still and with 10 games left I'd take 10 boring 1-0 wins right now if it means we get back to the FL. This whole thread is ridiculous and seems to stem from a desire for some to moan about something even at times when there is relatively little to moan about. I know many don't like PH and the way he sets his teams out but I honestly feel if he doesn't get it right this year he'll be gone in May. Until then let's back the team and try and be positive unless there is a genuine reason to moan about something. And FFS let's stop moaning about insignificant things that are said in interviews.

There's so many facts that you can turn into spurious arguments, but like many others, you're saying that because we've won three games in a week then nobody's entitled to have an opinion. Of course, we'd all take 10 1-0 wins because it might well mean that we don't have to go through the lottery of play-offs.

The glass half-empty argument, of which I'm guilty as charged, is that we have had the squad and the opportunities to be in top spot by now if we had shown some half-decent home form.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 158
mariner91
March 2, 2015, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There's so many facts that you can turn into spurious arguments, but like many others, you're saying that because we've won three games in a week then nobody's entitled to have an opinion. Of course, we'd all take 10 1-0 wins because it might well mean that we don't have to go through the lottery of play-offs.

The glass half-empty argument, of which I'm guilty as charged, is that we have had the squad and the opportunities to be in top spot by now if we had shown some half-decent home form.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, nobody has said any different. However, when that opinion is moaning about something completely trivial like an interview after three wins in a row, including a terrific win away at the then league leaders, then it seems to be moaning for the sake of moaning. Just what purpose does it serve, absolutely nothing constructive can come from it. If it had been moaning about a tactical aspect of the game or a personnel selection (which you could definitely say was poor at the weekend, regarding the Parslow substitution) then I could understand it. But it was about an innocuous comment or two in an interview. A pointless interview and a pointless, cheap dig at PH.

My opinion on it at the minute is that, as previously under PH, we're good but not quite good enough. I think we lack a commanding central midfielder and an attacking player with real creative ability. However, it's the business end of the season and at the minute things are going relatively well. At this stage of the season, I'll take results rather than performances but that's just my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 158
BIGChris
March 2, 2015, 5:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
6 wins in 8 league games. Is that the best points haul of the season?
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 158
horsforthmariner
March 2, 2015, 6:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,596
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from BIGChris
6 wins in 8 league games. Is that the best points haul of the season?

joint after alty away we'd won 5 and drawn 3 of the previous 8 I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 158
Vance Warner
March 2, 2015, 6:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, nobody has said any different. However, when that opinion is moaning about something completely trivial like an interview after three wins in a row, including a terrific win away at the then league leaders, then it seems to be moaning for the sake of moaning. Just what purpose does it serve, absolutely nothing constructive can come from it. If it had been moaning about a tactical aspect of the game or a personnel selection (which you could definitely say was poor at the weekend, regarding the Parslow substitution) then I could understand it. But it was about an innocuous comment or two in an interview. A pointless interview and a pointless, cheap dig at PH.

My opinion on it at the minute is that, as previously under PH, we're good but not quite good enough. I think we lack a commanding central midfielder and an attacking player with real creative ability. However, it's the business end of the season and at the minute things are going relatively well. At this stage of the season, I'll take results rather than performances but that's just my opinion.

Spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 158
ginnywings
March 2, 2015, 8:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I see the word "moaning" again in a few posts. Why is anything other than praise classed as moaning? Surely there is room on a football discussion forum to discuss err.......football.

I am not a fan of the Hurst pragmatic approach and i never have been. I know many fans who stay away because of it and to me that affects the club financially. Surely that is a topic for discussion. The fact that we have won the last three games doesn't change the fact that we have dropped 24 points at home already this season and that will probably cost us the chance of automatic promotion. That means the play offs again and the prospect of not being able to score the goals to get out of this league looms large. I sincerely hope that is not the case.

I think that's an important discussion point but that's just my opinion. If some see that as moaning then so be it, that's their opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 158
chaos33
March 2, 2015, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I agree mate. Unfortunately I think some people find it easy to just label anyone with a critical opinion on anything Town related as a moaner. It's always been the case on here. Personally I find it more tedious than a home game or the small handful of culprits who do actually 'moan about everything'.

Most Town fans are balanced I think. We've got eyes. People can see for themselves what we are and where we are or aren't going. Some people prefer to gloss over it, or pretend it's not real, and some like to overstate it, and whine on about it. Others derive knowledge and pleasure from an informed, rational and even handed discussion.

The season is about to reach its conclusion. What will be will be, and I for one intend to talk about all sorts of aspects of the club and the team. Analysis needs positive and negative. Surely people can accept that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2015, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I see the word "moaning" again in a few posts. Why is anything other than praise classed as moaning? Surely there is room on a football discussion forum to discuss err.......football.

I am not a fan of the Hurst pragmatic approach and i never have been. I know many fans who stay away because of it and to me that affects the club financially. Surely that is a topic for discussion. The fact that we have won the last three games doesn't change the fact that we have dropped 24 points at home already this season and that will probably cost us the chance of automatic promotion. That means the play offs again and the prospect of not being able to score the goals to get out of this league looms large. I sincerely hope that is not the case.

I think that's an important discussion point but that's just my opinion. If some see that as moaning then so be it, that's their opinion.

Great post as usual Ginny. Maybe need to take the word Old out of my monicker as I'm clearly seen as a grumpy old twit whereas when you make the point about dropped points at BP, it seems more valid. Might call myself Grumpy Old Codger!
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 158
ackomariner
March 2, 2015, 9:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Great post as usual Ginny. Maybe need to take the word Old out of my monicker as I'm clearly seen as a grumpy old twit whereas when you make the point about dropped points at BP, it seems more valid. Might call myself Grumpy Old Codger!

Moaning old codger  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 158
mimma
March 3, 2015, 12:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
Anybody think that the state of our pitch must take some of the blame for the poor standard of football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 158
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 6:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from ginnywings

But it isn't really a 'discussion point' when you post the same thing everyday!

Private Message
Reply: 134 - 158
DocTower
March 3, 2015, 7:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

All about opinions , very emotive .  Seeing as there are 14 pages on this thread think it shows people really do care  about what has and what is happening to our club .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 158
jonnyboy82
March 3, 2015, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Does that go both ways then ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 158
Badger57
March 3, 2015, 8:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from chaos33
I agree mate. Unfortunately I think some people find it easy to just label anyone with a critical opinion on anything Town related as a moaner. It's always been the case on here. Personally I find it more tedious than a home game or the small handful of culprits who do actually 'moan about everything'.

Most Town fans are balanced I think. We've got eyes. People can see for themselves what we are and where we are or aren't going. Some people prefer to gloss over it, or pretend it's not real, and some like to overstate it, and whine on about it. Others derive knowledge and pleasure from an informed, rational and even handed discussion.

The season is about to reach its conclusion. What will be will be, and I for one intend to talk about all sorts of aspects of the club and the team. Analysis needs positive and negative. Surely people can accept that.

And yet again you get red crosses for another well reasoned and balanced post. Now THAT I find unbelievable.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 158
Maringer
March 3, 2015, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Anybody think that the state of our pitch must take some of the blame for the poor standard of football?

I mentioned the other week that I thought the poor condition of the pitch might end up costing us some points this season. Some of the poor passing and control was probably down to the pitch, but the players still need to do better most of the time.

Hopefully, we'll get a warm, dry-ish spell over the next couple of weeks to help the pitch recover a bit. I'm sure it would be helpful if we were able to avoid playing/training on there if at all possible.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 158
Quagmire
March 3, 2015, 11:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from BIGChris

Chris,

Is it my imagination or was there a post by either yourself or another Trust board member re PH being told in the summer that the results and entertainment value of home games for season 2014-15 had to improve?

I'm pretty certain that in the summer when PH's future was discussed on here that there was pretty much a unanimous feeling that both results and style of play/entertainment at BP had to improve this season.

I think this is where there is a lot of frustration with PH.

Last season we were poor at home and nothing has changed.  It's all well and good this "performances don't matter, it's the points that do now we are getting towards the end of the season" if it wasn't for the fact that we've had to put up with poor home performances for the majority of the last two seasons.

You can pretty much count on one hand the 'enjoyable' games at BP over the last two years - one of those even ended in defeat (Huddersfield).

It's so frustrating.

It's like Groundhog Day all the time.  Last January there were a number of posters saying we should replace Hurst, this January exactly the same.  Last year numerous posters saying games at BP were poor and needed to improve, this year exactly the same.  All season people have been saying we don't score enough goals, and we look likely to enter the play offs (if we do) with goals being a problem yet again.

Nothing seems to improve.

We continually receive poor performances at home month after month, year after year - those people who mention this are derided as whingers and not 'true' supporters.

At the end of the day, fans are customers and we aren't getting value for money.  Such poor performances at home merely impact on people through the turnstiles and money in the bank.

I really don't think I can stomach another season with such a dull and uninspiring manager as Hurst at the helm.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 158
Maringer
March 3, 2015, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Badger57

And yet again you get red crosses for another well reasoned and balanced post. Now THAT I find unbelievable.  

Well, I just got a cross for agreeing with another poster that the poor state of the pitch might cost us this season!

Plenty of bell-ends around dropping their little red crosses here and there for no reason. Still, I suppose the sexually inadequate have to do something with their time, don't they?  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 158
devon mariner
March 3, 2015, 12:05pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
I must admit it is frustrating as hell to listen to Town, week in week out not performing at home. But I am in agreement that at this time I will take another 10 1-0's to end the season.  I wasn't at any of the last 3 games but must say that the Braintree game sounded like absolute dross.  Whether it was the pitch or weather doesn't matter as both teams have to put up with it.  It appears that against the "so called" better teams we defend from the front whereas with the "so called" worse teams we tend to sit a bit deeper and play too many long balls.  Frustrating it may be but as long as we get out of this shitty league I for one don't care.  I would hope that come next season (hopefully as a league club) we can once more make Blundell Park a fortress and get some of those lost fans back.    

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 158
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 12:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Quagmire

Chris,

Is it my imagination or was there a post by either yourself or another Trust board member re PH being told in the summer that the results and entertainment value of home games for season 2014-15 had to improve? I am pretty sure i didnt post that PH had been told such a thing BUT I MAY of said I would have told him that?

I'm pretty certain that in the summer when PH's future was discussed on here that there was pretty much a unanimous feeling that both results and style of play/entertainment at BP had to improve this season.

Last season we were poor at home and nothing has changed.  It's all well and good this "performances don't matter, it's the points that do now we are getting towards the end of the season" if it wasn't for the fact that we've had to put up with poor home performances for the majority of the last two seasons.

You can pretty much count on one hand the 'enjoyable' games at BP over the last two years - one of those even ended in defeat (Huddersfield). (i dont disagree with that at all- the football is NOT attractive to watch)

It's so frustrating.

It's like Groundhog Day all the time.  Last January there were a number of posters saying we should replace Hurst, this January exactly the same.  Last year numerous posters saying games at BP were poor and needed to improve, this year exactly the same.  All season people have been saying we don't score enough goals, and we look likely to enter the play offs (if we do) with goals being a problem yet again.

We continually receive poor performances at home month after month, year after year - those people who mention this are derided as whingers and not 'true' supporters.

At the end of the day, fans are customers and we aren't getting value for money.  Such poor performances at home merely impact on people through the turnstiles and money in the bank.

I really don't think I can stomach another season with such a dull and uninspiring manager as Hurst at the helm.

I go along with the vast majority of your post Quagmire. I totally agree about the lack of excitement on display.

The one area I possibly differ fro some is that I dont care about entertainment IF it leads to promotion. I will take dour football week in, week out if it gets us back in the football league.

I have said before that  if we dont get promoted then I would change the manager at the end of the season BUT until then I will totally support the team, the manager & the club
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 158
Quagmire
March 3, 2015, 12:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from BIGChris

I go along with the vast majority of your post Quagmire. I totally agree about the lack of excitement on display.

The one area I possibly differ fro some is that I dont care about entertainment IF it leads to promotion. I will take dour football week in, week out if it gets us back in the football league.

I have said before that  if we dont get promoted then I would change the manager at the end of the season BUT until then I will totally support the team, the manager & the club

Thanks for the clarification  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 158
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2015, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Badger57

Too logical for some I guess...anyway I've given Chaos a + for daring to challenge the status quo  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 158
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2015, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Quagmire

Chris,

Is it my imagination or was there a post by either yourself or another Trust board member re PH being told in the summer that the results and entertainment value of home games for season 2014-15 had to improve?

You can pretty much count on one hand the 'enjoyable' games at BP over the last two years - one of those even ended in defeat (Huddersfield).

It's so frustrating.

I might not agree with every word above Quagmire but you've more or less hit the nail on the head with regards to the frustration that we feel

Whether PH has support in general or not for what he's doing, we really can't carry on in this disconnected vein otherwise people will be tempted to stay away, even if we are winning more often than not

It smacks of Slade's days here, where no matter if we won, lots of folk would come away disgruntled and that can't be right
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 145 - 158
chaos33
March 3, 2015, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Too logical for some I guess...anyway I've given Chaos a + for daring to challenge the status quo  

Hehe, thanks man  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2015, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Hehe, thanks man  

That's 2 in a day!
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 158
rancido
March 3, 2015, 5:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
I suppose it all comes down to what we want from the club. I love to watch good, flowing football and after watching the last two home games I've come away feeling elated that we won but cheated because of the performance. Unfortunately if we want to get back in the league then maybe we have to put up with these kind of games until the end of the season. The worrying concern for me is that " IF "  PH gets us promoted then will he still adopt the same style in League 2? If he does then he will lose a lot of support and that coupled with maybe a higher playing budget to maintain that level could produce major financial concerns for the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 158
ginnywings
March 3, 2015, 7:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BIGChris

I'm so sorry for the repetition. I shall run proposed topics past the relevant bodies in the future to ascertain their suitability for discussion on a GTFC forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 8:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido
I suppose it all comes down to what we want from the club. I love to watch good, flowing football and after watching the last two home games I've come away feeling elated that we won but cheated because of the performance. Unfortunately if we want to get back in the league then maybe we have to put up with these kind of games until the end of the season. The worrying concern for me is that " IF "  PH gets us promoted then will he still adopt the same style in League 2? If he does then he will lose a lot of support and that coupled with maybe a higher playing budget to maintain that level could produce major financial concerns for the club

I think that worries a lot of people and they are also worried that the style of play will not keep us up in L2 very long either.

However, if we are promoted then PH must get the chance to do his thing mustn't he? It's only right that he should. He may prove to be as clever as Dave Penney who brought Doncaster back into the league with one style and up the leagues with another. We just don't know for certain. We might not like it but this is squeaky bum time so we just have to hold on, accept the style and the 1-0 wins and hope we are a league club in August. Then we go from there.

Private Message
Reply: 150 - 158
sydney
March 3, 2015, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Looked at the official conference website stats page and LJL is no 1 for "Most shots off target"
He He..
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 158
Maringer
March 3, 2015, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
And we're also the team with the most shots on target. If McKeown has made more saves than any other keeper in the division, that says a lot about our defence which is decent but not as good as our record might indicate.

Interesting to see that Akinde has committed more fouls than any other player in the division! Obviously likes to use his bulk to as much effect as possible.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2015, 8:58am

Think Fishoutofwater got it spot on when he compared this style of play to Sladeisace style. It was dull then and it's dull now. It does though to a point, get results, it's just a bit dull. It does also stifle creativity; for Neilson read Pinault. The main issue of it is that it requires the opposition to come at you a bit, when this doesn't happen, especially at home, it becomes turgid. It's perhaps on these occasions we need an effective plan B, one where we dictate the pace of the game rather than the opposition. I'm too tactically dumb to suggest how you'd do that, but PH should be able to work it out. Therein lies peoples frustrations I think, as he doesn't seem to know how or even sometimes want to do so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 158
ackomariner
March 4, 2015, 9:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Think Fishoutofwater got it spot on when he compared this style of play to Sladeisace style. It was dull then and it's dull now. It does though to a point, get results, it's just a bit dull. It does also stifle creativity; for Neilson read Pinault. The main issue of it is that it requires the opposition to come at you a bit, when this doesn't happen, especially at home, it becomes turgid. It's perhaps on these occasions we need an effective plan B, one where we dictate the pace of the game rather than the opposition. I'm too tactically dumb to suggest how you'd do that, but PH should be able to work it out. Therein lies peoples frustrations I think, as he doesn't seem to know how or even sometimes want to do so.

Good post.....exactly how it is imo

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 158
Toothill Totty
March 7, 2015, 7:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -4
Gold Stars: 1
so old codger, got owt to say today fella, still not good enough!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 158
Toothill Totty
March 7, 2015, 7:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -4
Gold Stars: 1
Just seen your post guess I should of checked beforehand, schoolboy error! Everyones allowed to look a t..t every now and then aren't we old codger!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 158
FishOutOfWater
March 7, 2015, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm getting well confused....

Unbelievable on this thread

Time to believe on another

We'll just have to wait and see....I'm definitely in the glass half full camp right now though!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 157 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 7, 2015, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Toothill Totty
Just seen your post guess I should of checked beforehand, schoolboy error! Everyones allowed to look a t..t every now and then aren't we old codger!

I think you ought to read more. I have stated ad nausea  that I believe this is a good squad and also that I feel that we are too negative at home. As pleased as I am with today and the rest of our away form, I'm still fearful that our home form will cost us. That's why the thread Time to Believe, because it can be done and everyone from the chairman done needs to be positive.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 158
16 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.