EY Mariner
March 1, 2015, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep, they are the same three points that we have chucked away in so many home games by not being bold enough tactically or attacking enough at the start of games.

Hurst talks about negative fans a lot. Why doesn't he try some positive tactics to get what's left of the home faithful to cheer not moan.

I think he struggles to understand, as I do, what fans have to moan about when we're third in the table and still in the title race with 10 games to go. That doesn't mean I don't share many of the frustrations expressed about a performance yesterday in which our front two were feeding off crumbs, never mind scraps for large parts of the game. But at this stage of the season, putting points on the board is the only thing that matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 158
headingly_mariner
March 1, 2015, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you so wish - Paul Hurst's obsession with Lenny will cost us promotion and ultimately, his job.

I could put up with early season Lenny. He balanced his lack of ability with considerable effort. I've seen him twice this week and on both occasions, there has been little or no movement off the ball, no making space for runners and very rarely won anything in the air. All fundamental parts of forward play.

Along with several others, I've noticed how several of our squad would look better in a 433 - Palmer, Jolley, Arnold, Mackreth, Paddy, Clay yet we continue with turgid 442 to accommodate Lenny. Why? He doesn't score, he rarely hits the target.

How many games have you seen? He has 15 goals and has been one of our most consistent performers, he has had an excellent season so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 11:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you so wish - Paul Hurst's obsession with Lenny will cost us promotion and ultimately, his job.

I could put up with early season Lenny. He balanced his lack of ability with considerable effort. I've seen him twice this week and on both occasions, there has been little or no movement off the ball, no making space for runners and very rarely won anything in the air. All fundamental parts of forward play.

Along with several others, I've noticed how several of our squad would look better in a 433 - Palmer, Jolley, Arnold, Mackreth, Paddy, Clay yet we continue with turgid 442 to accommodate Lenny. Why? He doesn't score, he rarely hits the target.

Was that because you never went to the games?

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 158
March 1, 2015, 11:42am
Guest User
You guys are crazy!! This is the funniest thing I ve read for years on here... And there's been some crap on the fishy before....

9 pts in a week and third in the table. Now bitching cos we re not being entertained, I m gonna really suggest you guys get away from your computers and go do something interesting or fun, because it's abundantly clear that the problem here is not the manager, or Lenny or whatever other rubbish you guys come out with...

Brilliant!!
Reply: 63 - 158
Tinymariner
March 1, 2015, 11:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
If you want entertainment, watch this game from yesterday.
http://youtu.be/V2HPAA3EWvU

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Lenny was hopeless yesterday, just like all the other attackers on the pitch, but to claim he didn't show any movement on Tuesday night strikes me as bizarre. One of his chances came when he ran through onto a ball helped on by Jolley in which he beat the defence than ran 40 yards to goal before having his shot well-saved. The one he put over the bar after a near post effort came because he ran out wide for the ball and beat the defender leaving a clear run towards goal. His effort then was poor, but the movement was decent. A good turn for the effort which hit the bar. The one he only just managed to reach and toe-ended just over the bar from Robertson's cross was a good run towards the near-post!

His finishing wasn't great on Tuesday and he should certainly have scored, but he wasn't all that bad overall.

For me, LJL looked jaded yesterday and I expect Palmer would have been brought on in the second half if there weren't concerns about his fitness. The question for me is why Pittman also looked jaded pretty much from the start as he's certainly not been overplayed recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from BIGChris

Was that because you never went to the games?

Probably lol! What frustrates me is the fact we have a pretty talented squad, probably the most talented we've had since being in this league, yet we seem determined to play to the strengths of one of our least talented players.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Yeah, this cropped up in another thread. Any team in the conference is capable of stifling a match if their only ambition is not to score, even when 1-0 down! I assumed that goal would bring Braintree out and we were in for a decent 2nd half, but it seems they didn't open up at all.

They did have a go after we scored. In fact they pretty much hogged the ball the whole of the second half. They just weren't good enough to do anything with their possession and we weren't good enough to exploit the extra space we had. They looked under no more pressure with 10 men than they did with 11.

To be honest both sides were very poor in an attacking sense and it was a very dull match indeed.

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers and told that if we want entertainment, we need to do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Well plenty of people are doing something else on a Saturday afternoon as a result of the dire offerings at BP, which to my mind is a problem for the club.

Does it not bother anyone that we are third in the league, yet are only getting around the 3300 mark and the place is like a morgue? Does skill, flair and excitement have no place in the game anymore? Have we really been that bad for that long that people are willing to accept any old shite on the pitch as long as we pick up three points? How would people be feeling if like many times this season we hadn't managed to nick a goal and drew both games 0-0. Would those performances be acceptable then?

The big question for me now is, what if we do what we have done the last 2 seasons and fizzle out in the play offs because we can't create chances and score goals? Is it then OK to criticise another season of mostly dire fare at BP and the prospect of having to go through it all again come next August?

Finally, i am thrilled that we won the last three games but it doesn't mean that the set up is beyond criticism. There is always room for improvement. Standing still is going backwards and for me, Hurst has had us standing still for his entire reign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.

We'll agree to differ. His goal tally up to Christmas was excellent but one penalty since 19th December isn't. All I'm saying is that we have several other attacking options available to us, so why is he bomb-proof?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.