16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
We're a Conference club with Conference players paying Conference wages.

Hopefully we'll manage to get ourselves promoted sooner rather than later, but we just don't have any sort of divine right to go up.

As with most people, I'd be a lot happier if we were playing good football more frequently - back in the Buckley Mk. 1 era I remember being disappointed that we'd not played well in the final game against Torquay when I ought to have been delighted we had won promotion! I've had to become a pragmatist since then.

To be honest, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the board tonight on a day when we've won our third consecutive game. If we'd lost heavily then you could perhaps understand the angst, but we squeezed through following a poor performance which any Town fan would surely have to admit is a good thing?

No one is claiming we've played well today, but the result is what counts when you've played this poorly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 158
Badger57
February 28, 2015, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from chaos33
Probably the best response to the question from TRRFC. I agree with you. I don't think boredom covers it - I wasn't bored on Tuesday. I was frustrated. Hurst frustrates me immensely. I think it's about our ethos and set up. Our lack of ambition and guts. Big ideas. Swagger etc. It's not there.
Notice Hurst's lack of direction, vocal input etc from the touchline. The club need to look like they know what they're doing and believe they can do it, and maybe the fans would follow suit.

We're not energetic and urgent enough. We seem to hedge our bets, think ourselves into tight spots, set too low standards. This is about Hurst and the general lack of ambition and self confidence about those around the club for me. It's too conservative and defensive, with too much left to chance. With the players we've got we should be destroying teams at BP. We should have set our stall out as title chasers at the start of the season and stuck to it. We're as big and as competent as any other team in this division, but the club don't show it. They don't buy into it. They don't project it. We seem to be just trying to keep it tight and hope for the best. I think people feel that and act accordingly. They're nervous and edgy and expect disappointment, because these are the signals they get.

PERFECT Chaos,  PERFECT and how anyone can give a x to that God only knows. Hurst is a liability.  He will not last. He will never go down as a Town favourite even if we get promoted. We are doing OK despite Hurst, not because of him. If some of former favourites were in charge we would be pulling in crowds of 5 or 6 thousand with being in the position we are.I'm certain of that. Can't wait until he inevitably leaves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters
So our esteemed leader now believes that today was the most difficult win of the three. Really? More difficult than winning at the league leaders?

Fed up of saying it - a combination of 442 at home, Paul Hurst and his obsession with Lenny will keep us in this godforsakenshitehole of a league. According to the pre-match interview 'the rest of the team know what Lenny brings'. Could you please share it with the rest of us? Is it the half-time oranges? The post-match beer? A goal from open play would be nice. A shot on target even.

They know he will start. Not sure what else, seems on a bit of an ego-trip. Felt sorry for him early season before his goal-rush but seemed to be trying harder then, even if it was a little too hard and resulting in daft misses.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 158
MarinerWY
March 1, 2015, 12:28am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The thing is promotion is more than good enough for Grimsby town fans.

Have we been promoted ?

answer is NO.

The answer is not yet. We are 3rd with 10 games left. It is extremely unlikely we will catch 1st place, whilst still doable - but we have every chance of going up as the best team in the play-off spots.

It's a bit ridiculous to not at least wait till the end of the season to draw your conclusions - especially when we are in a very strong position.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Maringer

Hopefully we'll manage to get ourselves promoted sooner rather than later, but we just don't have any sort of divine right to go up.

As with most people, I'd be a lot happier if we were playing good football more frequently - back in the Buckley Mk. 1 era I remember being disappointed that we'd not played well in the final game against Torquay when I ought to have been delighted we had won promotion! I've had to become a pragmatist since then.

To be honest, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the board tonight on a day when we've won our third consecutive game. If we'd lost heavily then you could perhaps understand the angst, but we squeezed through following a poor performance which any Town fan would surely have to admit is a good thing?

No one is claiming we've played well today, but the result is what counts when you've played this poorly.

I think people's concerns are that all these poor performances are perceived by those people as lucky wins. You certainly don't want these performances in the play-offs. You want three nils, full of confidence, something one nil will never give you. It's more worry if anything I reckon.

We were one nil up, not looking like scoring another but neither were they. Why not play it safe and take a striker off. We had more chance of keeping a clean sheet with an extra man back than getting another goal given the 80 minutes or so prior to the substitution. People will moan, but it's stupid to throw away 3 points.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 158
promotion plaice
March 1, 2015, 12:53am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Simples =

Town go up through the playoffs, Hurst done his job.

Town fail to go up, Hurst given enough chances, part company with respect.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 158
chaos33
March 1, 2015, 7:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Maringer

Personally I'm not 'wailing' or 'gnashing my teeth'. You've gotta be chuffed with 9 points in a week. IMO, the Telford game wasn't as bad as some would have you believe, but the ground was stony silent. I was merely wondering why BP is so subdued when the team are on a promotion push and then speculating on the possible reasons for that.
I think people on here need to learn to distinguish between moaning and general or critical discussion.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 158
ackomariner
March 1, 2015, 8:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33

Personally I'm not 'wailing' or 'gnashing my teeth'. You've gotta be chuffed with 9 points in a week. IMO, the Telford game wasn't as bad as some would have you believe, but the ground was stony silent. I was merely wondering why BP is so subdued when the team are on a promotion push and then speculating on the possible reasons for that.
I think people on here need to learn to distinguish between moaning and general or critical discussion.

Agree....I said on another thread the other day about atmosphere at BP and said that the football on the pitch will be the only thing to get the crowd going...whilst it's boring the crowd will stay silent

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So you're saying that beating the mighty Braintree 1-0 with your only shot on target is harder than winning away at the league leaders?

Who cares which was the hardest of the three - we won them all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Who cares which was the hardest of the three - we won them all.

We did. But once again, the most positive performance - by a mile - was away from home. I have no problem with our tactics away from home but we are mind-numbingly dull and defensive at home.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.