TAGG
February 28, 2015, 7:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from psgmariner
It was boring and dull today but 3 points is all that matters. Hurst annoys me but I find it hard to be critical when we are winning.

That said, I can see why home gates are low. Hard working watching that and none of the fun of going away.

"3 points is all that matters" that may be the case with a side that people are queueing up to watch the but its no good saying that about a side like Town who need bums on seats.
The type of football we play will not get anyone extra through the gate in fact it will do the opposite.
If 3 points is all that counts then why are people walking away from BP after games on such a downer even after a win???? And why are people not flooding back to BP in numbers seeing as we are 3rd in the league????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 158
headingly_mariner
February 28, 2015, 7:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
That was a tough game, different to Tuesday because Braintree were well organised and set out to be difficult to break down, so many times in the past we have fails to win tricky games like that, today we dealt with it. 3 wins on the spin and up to third in the table, good day imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I don't know what it was like today but BP was like a morgue on Tuesday and that's pretty telling as we won the game, beat the leaders in the previous game and won today. Those results are excellent and what really matters, but this is a promotion push and we are winning games, yet the home crowds are almost silent, with many staying away and lots that do go immensely frustrated. Why is this?

I've got my own view, but maybe I'm missing something?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 158
TAGG
February 28, 2015, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from chaos33
I don't know what it was like today but BP was like a morgue on Tuesday and that's pretty telling as we won the game, beat the leaders in the previous game and won today. Those results are excellent and what really matters, but this is a promotion push and we are winning games, yet the home crowds are almost silent, with many staying away and lots that do go immensely frustrated. Why is this?

That's easy. The football is as boring as the manager.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 158
carrot top
February 28, 2015, 8:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from TAGG

"3 points is all that matters" that may be the case with a side that people are queueing up to watch the but its no good saying that about a side like Town who need bums on seats.
The type of football we play will not get anyone extra through the gate in fact it will do the opposite.
If 3 points is all that counts then why are people walking away from BP after games on such a downer even after a win???? And why are people not flooding back to BP in numbers seeing as we are 3rd in the league????

They are not flooding back because it is the Conference when all said and done. Hardly ever any away fans means lack of atmosphere. IMO I think if we were in league 1 we wouldn't get many more, possibly ave 4000.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 158
Vance Warner
February 28, 2015, 8:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 100
Unbelievable people moaning after 3 wins on the bounce. Bristol Rovers only scraped a win against Braintree on Tues. We'd all like to see us destroying teams with free flowing football but at this stage of the season it's all about the 3 points. There are no teams in this league that are enjoyable to watch every week. We're 3rd in the league and people are calling for changes in formation and style of play. If we don't go up this season then it's time for a change but with 10 games to go lets get behind them FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 158
Cod Cheeks
February 28, 2015, 8:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from chaos33

We need to be entertained better than the last 2 games. The manager is so so cautious in everything he does and although we're 3rd in the league, it will cost us. After Tuesdays boredom in the cold, If I wasn't a season ticket holder, I would not have gone today.
Only 2 points of note in the full 90 minutes: the goalmouth scramble (in our goalmouth) and Disleys excellent goal. A 3rd could be Magnays performance but when a right back is consistently our best player then there's something wrong with the rest of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 158
KK_DOG
February 28, 2015, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

We need to be entertained better than the last 2 games. The manager is so so cautious in everything he does and although we're 3rd in the league, it will cost us. After Tuesdays boredom in the cold, If I wasn't a season ticket holder, I would not have gone today.
Only 2 points of note in the full 90 minutes: the goalmouth scramble (in our goalmouth) and Disleys excellent goal. A 3rd could be Magnays performance but when a right back is consistently our best player then there's something wrong with the rest of it.

Add to that Pearson's run in the first half !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 28, 2015, 8:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Expecting entertainment is a tall order at this stage of the season for any team with things so tight in the league. Plus the manager does not rate entertaining very high on his priorities does he? He's the one who will accept 1-0 every game. Fair enough.

But I don't think entertainment is the problem. Failing to score goals is the problem. If your strikers are not scoring then something is obviously wrong and a good manager will not be fooled by streaky 1-0 wins where few chances are made and even fewer taken. The pressure on the defence is there in every game.

So a good manager would know that 1-0 could easily become 1-1 or 1-2 if the luck runs the other way. A good manager would not sit around waiting for that to happen, he would change his tactics or players or both while the going is good.

That's what worries me. 9 points this week is great, our position looks promising ....... on paper

I'm not even concerned about the lack of a Buckleyesque style of play. But the banana skins of just one defensive mistake or two, a terrible refereeing decision or a simple bad bounce of the ball in a couple of games could send us right back into the chasing pack because we simply do not score enough goals to kill off the opposition.

One of the two strikers had better start contributing more than just a cross country run every game and soon.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 158
moosey_club
February 28, 2015, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Expecting entertainment is a tall order at this stage of the season for any team with things so tight in the league. Plus the manager does not rate entertaining very high on his priorities does he? He's the one who will accept 1-0 every game. Fair enough.

But I don't think entertainment is the problem. Failing to score goals is the problem. If your strikers are not scoring then something is obviously wrong and a good manager will not be fooled by streaky 1-0 wins where few chances are made and even fewer taken. The pressure on the defence is there in every game.

So a good manager would know that 1-0 could easily become 1-1 or 1-2 if the luck runs the other way. A good manager would not sit around waiting for that to happen, he would change his tactics or players or both while the going is good.

That's what worries me. 9 points this week is great, our position looks promising ....... on paper

I'm not even concerned about the lack of a Buckleyesque style of play. But the banana skins of just one defensive mistake or two, a terrible refereeing decision or a simple bad bounce of the ball in a couple of games could send us right back into the chasing pack because we simply do not score enough goals to kill off the opposition.

One of the two strikers had better start contributing more than just a cross country run every game and soon.

Totally agree..streaky 1-0 wins are great if you are in pole position...they may just yet sneak the title, but i doubt it...... and as we know streaky performances dont get you through the play off process..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.