TAGG
February 27, 2015, 9:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Hagrid
His interview on MP, doesnt sound to me like he's given up on the title, acknowledges it will be difficult but fair play to PH here, im pleased he's come out and said this, shows all us fans that the players and manager still believe we can do it! come on town!!!

Did he actually say "I've not given up on winning the league"? or is this your interpretation? because if he did it would be a first on me.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
MrsMariner
February 28, 2015, 8:23am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from chaos33
Some tricky looking games for the top teams tomorrow. We must beat Braintree. No excuses.

Exactly, I know it probably won't happen but if Bristol lose at Gateshead & Barnet only draw at Alty, a win for us would leave us 5 points off the top & with a game in hand, certainly not impossible. I'm sure there will be lots of twists & turns in the final run in just hope Town keep focused & pick up a near maximum points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
oldun
February 28, 2015, 9:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Today's game will not be easy. Braintree are quite capable of making life difficult for us and we certainly must take any chance which comes our way. I am not confident of a win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
MeanwoodMariner
February 28, 2015, 9:05am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I think there's far too much emphasis put on whether Hurst is trying to win the league or just settle for the play offs. The only time it is relevant is probably at the start of the season when the squad is being assembled. ie. Are we pushing the boat out to sign the very best players.  Once that's done we are surely trying to pick up as many points as possible. There is never game where we say "doesn't matter if we lose this one because we're not going for the title". He may try to put a positive spin on a poor result after the event but that's different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Vance Warner
February 28, 2015, 9:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I think there's far too much emphasis put on whether Hurst is trying to win the league or just settle for the play offs. The only time it is relevant is probably at the start of the season when the squad is being assembled. ie. Are we pushing the boat out to sign the very best players.  Once that's done we are surely trying to pick up as many points as possible. There is never game where we say "doesn't matter if we lose this one because we're not going for the title". He may try to put a positive spin on a poor result after the event but that's different.

This. People put far too much emphasis on post match interviews. I'd be far more worried if he came out and slated the team after a defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
LongEatonMariner
February 28, 2015, 9:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Vance Warner

This. People put far too much emphasis on post match interviews. I'd be far more worried if he came out and slated the team after a defeat.

Exactly. You can't really read what he genuinely means - like most managers he plays down the importance of individual results, be they wins or losses. He's level headed / boring!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
BIGChris
February 28, 2015, 9:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Over recent seasons many of us, including myself, have expressed concerns that we drew too many games. Turning draws into wins would have resulted in higher finishes and maybe even put serious pressure on the eventual title winners.

Interestingly we haven't drawn a league game since Nov. We have certainly suffered too many defeats, especially at home, but if we could have drawn a couple of those we would be much better off
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Rick12
February 28, 2015, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Going to be very tough to win the league  but nothing within reason is impossible.However having done the double over Barnet which I would have never envisaged gives me hope if we do reach the play offs we can finally get out of this league

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
There's only Bristol who are on an upward trajectory, which they are timing to perfection. We have been stuck in 4th spot for months now because every time we have a chance to make ground we blow it. There isn't much movement at all among the other contenders.

As with last season, i have never thought at any stage that we could win the league as we just don't have enough goals in us. Interestingly, Bristol have scored fewer and only better our defence by 3 but crucially have only lost 4 games all season and without checking, they are obviously not losing the 6 pointers.

Our inability to finish off the opposition is again costing us and will continue to do so. Last seasons home play off game against Gateshead being a prime example of not being ruthless enough. Nothing has changed for me. Play offs beckon and if we don't bring our shooting boots, then we'll still be a Conference side next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I agree, and good point about the Gateshead play off game. The weaknesses that we've displayed for 2 seasons or more and that we haven't addressed are what worry me. I feel we'll need a lot of luck to get promoted and there isn't usually too much of that around in the conference. Once you're needing rivals to falter, you're in the lap of the gods.

We are wasteful in front of goal, we're not attack-minded enough, too often our play lacks urgency and speed of movement and our players are often too far apart from each other when we're in possession. These are fundamental, long standing flaws in our set up for me and they remain unresolved.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.