Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 195 Guests

If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

This thread currently has 7,559 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
devon mariner
February 27, 2015, 11:14am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
I would build a new stadium on a plot of land in Barbados and sign up anyone who was willing to come and play.  Free entry for anyone over 58 or under 15.  The only player that I would try to buy would be Lionel Messi as he might attract 1 or 2 supporters.  Everyday would be a Bob Marley day and we'd do some jammin.  We would probably get more away supporters than we do at the moment.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
DocTower
February 27, 2015, 11:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Ska is right regarding cash to the Trust , just dumping X amount to the club it would just filter away . There's always someone willing to spent other persons money .   I really don't know about moving  the stadium , we have been scuppered so many times . A new main stand and some alterations to bring us to a 12000 seater would be quite sufficient  .  Cost would be about 7 million , spinning the ground to take the houses in Harrington St would be again controversial and long winded .  A sensible  wage structure , you get what you pay for . Do what AB did any player has to move to the area , offer 2 year contacts  with clauses to prevent us being shafted .
Have a 5 year plan , have , let's say 2 million per year available for players expenses running costs . Involve schools , bring kids in each home game , have their own section .  Our geographical location does make it difficult to entice players  who prefer city life so we have to make it attractive for them . Get these players to go to schools as they have too much spare time . Offer players alternative education for when their career  is over .
All dreams , but nice dreams , I dream about getting just 3 numbers but it never happens . In it to win it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
Chrisblor
February 27, 2015, 11:47am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from devon mariner
I would build a new stadium on a plot of land in Barbados and sign up anyone who was willing to come and play.  Free entry for anyone over 58 or under 15.  The only player that I would try to buy would be Lionel Messi as he might attract 1 or 2 supporters.  Everyday would be a Bob Marley day and we'd do some jammin.  We would probably get more away supporters than we do at the moment.

[url=http://www.concacaf.com/article/barbados-guyana-play-to-2-2-deadlock]I was at Barbados v Guyana the other week[/url]. It finished 2-2 but the standard was laughable considering the Barbados team supposedly comprised the island's 11 best players - everyone ran around like headless chickens and fired in shots from all over the place! Based on that game I reckon Town would dominate the Barbados Premier League!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from BIGChris
Make JF an offer for his shares/debt.

Clear every penny of other borrowing.

Talk to Paul Fletcher( former CEO of Burnley & Bolton) and one of the most knowledgable people I know about football and football clubs. Taking advice on board I would pay top dollar for the best, forward thinking exec I could find.

Push on with the stadium

Incentivise fans over pricing, I.e. Sell 4000 season tickets at one price & 5000 season tickets @ a lesser price.

Every 5 yr old in the area to get a free Town goody bag contains something like a shirt or track suit top but various smaller items. Set up reward schemes for them to attend with their family.

Everything would be geared towards  developing a real community club

Huge investment in the academy, including facilities, residential hostel for youth team. Attract the best local kids and the best youngsters released from Prem clubs. Look into the Southampton model for youth set up

Training ground revamp with emphasis on sports science, strength and conditioning coaches

Enough money provided to be top budget in the league but again more would be provided if the fans show their commitment with season tickets shirt sales etc.

No involvement in what players we sign as that isthe managers job!

All good fun but I will never win the lottery

Trust you to overlook the catering side of things cos you are on a diet selfish old git!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from gaz57

Numbers 1,2,3 and 5 makes me think your real identity is Mike Lyons.

The man is an imposter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
mariner91
February 27, 2015, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
I'd do the same as BIGChris but I'd also invest in a scouting system that covers the lower leagues extensively. Scunny are a perfect example of getting players with raw potential and polishing them before selling them for a big profit. It is the best model for a small club to go for after producing home grown players (which BC had already covered so we'd have both).

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
fleabag1970
February 27, 2015, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Just so you know there is more chance of getting killed on your way to buying the Lottery Ticket than winning ........ Take care guys !!  Its the Idiot Tax you know

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Chrisblor

[url=http://www.concacaf.com/article/barbados-guyana-play-to-2-2-deadlock]I was at Barbados v Guyana the other week[/url]. It finished 2-2 but the standard was laughable considering the Barbados team supposedly comprised the island's 11 best players - everyone ran around like headless chickens and fired in shots from all over the place! Based on that game I reckon Town would dominate the Barbados Premier League!

Was it played at the National Stadium?
Watched Barbados vs Trinidad in the last round of world cup qualifiers at the national stadium, had a cracking time.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from gaz57

Numbers 1,2,3 and 5 makes me think your real identity is Mike Lyons.

Dont exaggerate....where did i say i would play myself up front and take all free kicks?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
TownSNAFU5
February 27, 2015, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Headingly_Mariner, I like your style above.  However, getting the club relegated 3 divisions has been done before.     

I have not seen any reference to half-time entertainment. We should give everybody a flag.   How about our Chairman goes in the away end and sees how many kids flags he can snap in 15 mins? We could keep a record for each home game.  

Southampton have implemented many of the measures that Big Chris wisely suggested.  They have a record of bringing on youth players that is second to none.  They also recruited their current manager to continue developing their young players and play football in the same way as their previous manager.  Good old continuity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.