Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 293 Guests

If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

This thread currently has 7,596 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
February 27, 2015, 7:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Let's hope BIGChris wins that lottery tonight then.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
gary_elton
February 27, 2015, 7:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I would most certainly not " give " any money to the club or those running it , I would offer the local
councillors a cash reward each to make sure a new dockside stadium got an instant go-ahead...

it would be a pleasure to watch their faces contort in a mixture of pain and pleasure as they toyed with their
consciences , knowing full well that greed would would win , they accept a big fat cash wad and all of a sudden
think bollox to voles and newts , line their own pockets and we'd be at a new home within 2 years... but I'd make
the councillors sign a document banning them from any similar office in future...

Then I'd pay for the stadium to be built . Steels and Becketts would be re-located to the new Ponny and
Main stands.... Jason could sell wetfish ,Blakey could walk your dogs while you watched the match , Dean
could run a souvenir shop , and the Mariners trust bar would have  ten different real ales on draught....

Bollox... I just woke up....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Fascinating opinions. It looks like people are more concerned with a stadium than the playing side, BC being the main exception.

Personally I would want to ensure league status as THE priority. As such I would appoint a manager with a proven track record for promotion and managing smaller clubs. Though I can't stand him as a person, that would be Evans lured from Rotherham. Then I would would bribe players to come here who have proven ability and are at the peak of their game. Tubbs would be one of the first. Players would be well paid but the main reward would be a big bonus system for league position and promotion.

Once the club was up and running in the league, that would be the time to fix the ground. Plan A would be to settle a complex including training ground etc. on the docks/Freeman Street area. Plan B would be to buy up the housing round BP. Plan C would be Great Coates. The current training ground would be redeveloped and it would be there that the community facilities, conference suite and so on would be located under Plan B. There will also be a Centre of Excellence for a youth policy directed by Big Chris!

The idea is to ultimately make the club self-sufficient in a football sense and to get it settled in L1 or the Championship. I have no ambition to see GTFC in the Prem, it would cause more problems than it would solve. I would like to see us win the FA Cup though!

I'll put my two quid on tonight and let you know if I win.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
headingly_mariner
February 27, 2015, 8:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
I would become major shareholder, start making erratic decisions that see the club relegated three times, all the while lending the club the money to fail to be successful and create a debt to myself so that no interested parties could take the club on as a viable option. I would try and barge a couple of new stadiums through and royally wind up most of the decision makers in the town who could actually help me have it built, I would spend a lot on planning these but not manage to build one.

Once every couple of months I would probably have a rant through a statement on the club's official website, I wouldn't have anyone proof read it, I would try my best to make my statement divisive and tough to read. I would not read the copy of PR for Dummies that I got for Christmas 13 years in a row. I would ban any media that asks me questions that I don't really want to answer and I would use the local paper to get my views out the way I want them heard.

I would employ managers that can use computers!!!!!

But mostly I would urge everyone to be positive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
fleabag1970
February 27, 2015, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I would Start up a new team, AFC Grimsby , Build a 5000  capacity ground and then just enjoy trying to get the club through the leagues and into the holy grail of League 2 !! . The nickname of the Team would be " Trawler Men" and they would play in Blue for Home Games !  I would appoint Nigel Adkins as Manager to get us through the Leagues . The First 2 seasons it would be FOC to get in  assuming we were allowed to enter at Step 6 or 7 ? The Ground would be called " Hope Park " . Children would receive free Sweets and a program for every game for the first two seasons .  A youth set up would be set up from u7's upwards with the emphasis is enjoyment and confidence !!  Then I would wake up in a cold sweat as I don't even do the bloody Lottery ...............Its the idiot TAX don't you know .............................................

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
February 27, 2015, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Fascinating opinions. It looks like people are more concerned with a stadium than the playing side, BC being the main exception.

Personally I would want to ensure league status as THE priority. As such I would appoint a manager with a proven track record for promotion and managing smaller clubs. Though I can't stand him as a person, that would be Evans lured from Rotherham. Then I would would bribe players to come here who have proven ability and are at the peak of their game. Tubbs would be one of the first. Players would be well paid but the main reward would be a big bonus system for league position and promotion.

Once the club was up and running in the league, that would be the time to fix the ground. Plan A would be to settle a complex including training ground etc. on the docks/Freeman Street area. Plan B would be to buy up the housing round BP. Plan C would be Great Coates. The current training ground would be redeveloped and it would be there that the community facilities, conference suite and so on would be located under Plan B. There will also be a Centre of Excellence for a youth policy directed by Big Chris!

The idea is to ultimately make the club self-sufficient in a football sense and to get it settled in L1 or the Championship. I have no ambition to see GTFC in the Prem, it would cause more problems than it would solve. I would like to see us win the FA Cup though!

I'll put my two quid on tonight and let you know if I win.

Yes apologies, most of us have been rather flippant with our replies.

Big Chris hit the nail on the head, and I am sure most of us would endorse what he said.

I think a club with vision, a certain way of playing and professional in everything we do would be the aim in a perfect world.

I think we would naturally rise up the leagues then, and the crowds would increase, but we could maximise the number of supporters by including them in the ultimate "community club"

Grimsby Town and proud!

UTM  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 27, 2015, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Id get appointed to the council and in the first meeting ask :

1- do you want a proffesional football team in the area

2- if above is yes, ask which places are viable, and likely to be allowed to build a new ground

3 - consult supporters  for ground ideas

4- offer free season to those that have bought season tickets while being in the conference (1 for each year bought)

5- freedom of the park to the class of 98

6- a realistic budget for the manager

7- subsidised away coach travel for away games

Fingers crossed!!!!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MeanwoodMariner
February 27, 2015, 10:22am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Change the name.
Change the kit colour.
Use the Glazier debt-saddling model.
Pick the squad and team myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
grimsby pete
February 27, 2015, 10:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222

Yes apologies, most of have been rather flippant with our replies.

Yes agree,

I would not really give Fenty £40 million,

But

I f I had won £100+ million,

After making the rest of the family millionaires,

I would invest up to £40 million in the club,

I would not want to run things myself but insist on a say how the money is spent,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
ska face
February 27, 2015, 11:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
I have absolutely no desire to ever be the sole owner /Chairman of the club - whatever you put in it'd never be enough for some.

If I did have the money, the first thing I'd do is get Fenty paid up and copulated off within the first day. I'd have a lifetime ban on him too.

Then, like Chris, I'd clear all remaining debt & give the club a clean slate to start from.

You may say I lack ambition, but I'd hate to see GTFC involved in the Premier League in it's current state. Quite frankly, it is everything that is wrong with the game and I wouldn't want to associate myself with a team full of divers and cheats being paid £300k a week. The most fun I've had watching town has been on the occasions where the fans have been able to enjoy themselves, aren't shepherded to & from train stations/coaches, and where we've been able to relate to the players & form a bond of sorts with them - Barnet was a perfect example.

As such, I wouldn't bankroll us through the leagues, chucking money at people just here for a payday with no thought for the club. Look at FGR - do any of their players look at the 15 fans they take away and think that they're playing for them? Course not.

I want the fans to have a meaningful say in the running if the club. As such, I'd gift the Trust £10m for them to spend as they see fit (or as BigChris suggests!), but this cash could only be used once a certain number of fans have committed to becoming a Trust Member - say 5000. That way, we'd know if there is an appetite at GTFC for a sustainable, fan-run club or whether people just want to see us signing shithouses like those at Chelsea.

We're not Gretna, we're not Forest Green, we're not Crawley or Fleetwood or any other of these joke clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.