grimps
February 26, 2015, 8:22am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I'd make the whole of the Pontton standing , unless we get back in the Championship any time soon it wouldnt even have to be the safe standing type
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
Tangerine Chris
February 26, 2015, 8:23am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....01-detail/story.html

Board must be confident we will NOT go up at the end of the season then, as no football league team is allowed safe standing

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
Maringer
February 26, 2015, 8:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Standing is not for me as I prefer a better view of the game from high up in the side stands, but it's great credit to the club that they are trying provide it for those who prefer it.

Let's hope they can find the financial backers to sort this out because I don't imagine it will be particularly cheap to install.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 75
psgmariner
February 26, 2015, 8:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I can think of plenty.

Edit- apologies I misread your post. Thought you just said standing areas were not allowed.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 75
highcliff mariner
February 26, 2015, 8:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....01-detail/story.html

Board must be confident we will NOT go up at the end of the season then, as no football league team is allowed safe standing

Read your own link . Properly 👍
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 75
GTFCNick
February 26, 2015, 8:58am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +65
Guy's just to clear up the confusion, we are talking about safe standing not terrace standing. Safe standing as a trial can be continued as part of the trial when we get promoted, terrace standing cannot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
The Grim Reaper
February 26, 2015, 9:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Why is a club official posting on a fans message board?

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
Caesar
February 26, 2015, 9:33am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Sounds like a good move, am pleased to see this and also that even while planning for a new stadium we are not just waiting around.  

While I think safe standing is a better way to go just because we all want our club to be successful again and dream of better days, wouldn't a traditional terrace be fine for us if we fot promoted into league 2?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
GTFCNick
February 26, 2015, 9:39am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +65
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

As it helps to clear up any confusion very quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
Les Brechin
February 26, 2015, 9:44am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168

Why shouldn't he. It's always helpful to have the inside info on certain things and I'm sure Nick's a fan of the club anyway!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
headingly_mariner
February 26, 2015, 9:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Do the full pontoon or to create a better atmosphere do the strip down the Middle, safe standing in just the right side will make very little change to the atmosphere as its lost out of the open corner at the minute and everyone currently stands up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
chicaneuk
February 26, 2015, 10:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Personally I hate standing at football matches - much prefer to have a seat. But kudos to the club for listening to what the fans have asked for and reacting to it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 26, 2015, 10:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Must admit, unless there are cost restrictions, I would support doing all the stand. Had some great moments in the Pontoon during my yonger days, always one that stands out was Stuart Brace equaliser against Scunthorpe in something like 97 th minute. Think it was day Rathbone & Welbourne were sent off and got unbelievable eight week bans.

But memory not what it was so I await correction from those that may have been there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 10:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Its a step forward in trying to create the missing atmosphere,

Well done Town.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2015, 10:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Brilliant. It brings back memories of being cosy and warm standing in the Barratt instead of freezing on a square of cold plastic gazing at Spurn Head. Atmosphere is what a club needs.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
LH
February 26, 2015, 10:53am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Hopefully whichever company sponsors it gets their logo on a big intercourse off bit of metal to close off the open side in the Pontoon to keep the noise in.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 26, 2015, 10:56am

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
Quoted from LH
Hopefully whichever company sponsors it gets their logo on a big intercourse off bit of metal to close off the open side in the Pontoon to keep the noise in.

This made me laugh, but a good idea though.  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 26, 2015, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Without being negative, as I think this is tremendous, the corner does seen a very small area. Or is it the whole rows to the front of the stand???

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
immariner
February 26, 2015, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Would people please read the link properly before posting? In the event of promotion the club would need to revert back to seating if it installed traditional terracing, which it is not planning to do; it is planning to install new safe standing, which incorporates seats within it.

I think making the right side of the Pontoon standing without a windguard wouldn't achieve the aim of improving atmosphere. As someone else said people do currently stand in that area and sound will still be lost. It would need to be installed at the other end, which would encourage atmosphere in the Findus, in the middle, or the whole stand to be a worthwhile venture for more than the 200 or so people who would stand there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
bradzmilne
February 26, 2015, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
First of all, I give absolute credit to the club. They've took the opinions of the fans on board and actually acted upon it, for that I think we can all agree the club needs a massive pat on the back.
This said, if this all illusive stadium really is on the horizon... Surely revamping a small area on the Pontoon is the last place we should be spending money? I'm not faulting the club at all though and like I've just said its very refreshing for our club too actual take into account the opinions of fans as it seems very rare practice through football clubs these days just seems an interesting way to spend money.
Well done all involved never the less.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
BIGChris
February 26, 2015, 12:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from bradzmilne
First of all, I give absolute credit to the club. They've took the opinions of the fans on board and actually acted upon it, for that I think we can all agree the club needs a massive pat on the back.
This said, if this all illusive stadium really is on the horizon... Surely revamping a small area on the Pontoon is the last place we should be spending money? I'm not faulting the club at all though and like I've just said its very refreshing for our club too actual take into account the opinions of fans as it seems very rare practice through football clubs these days just seems an interesting way to spend money.
Well done all involved never the less.
UTM

Reading the article I dont think the club are looking to spend any money. They are looking for someone to sponsor the work, i.e. pay for it in return for advertising.

Very pleased that the Mariners Trust took the lead on this. Good to see the Trusts influence growing IMO
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 26, 2015, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Out of interest BC has any figure been banded around for such improvements???

Haven't had time to read the whole context of the article yet.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
KK_DOG
February 26, 2015, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I think it's a great idea for those that want to stand. Won't affect me because I prefer to sit and have a side view rather than behind the goal. Is it going to cause a problem with some of the season ticket holders in the pontoon that want to sit ? Hopefully they will be happy to move if required but it is a consideration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
bradzmilne
February 26, 2015, 12:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from BIGChris

Reading the article I dont think the club are looking to spend any money. They are looking for someone to sponsor the work, i.e. pay for it in return for advertising.

Very pleased that the Mariners Trust took the lead on this. Good to see the Trusts influence growing IMO

Admittedly I must have missed that part of the article, whoops  

That said however, it has to come out of some firms or financial backers pocket. Realistically are we going to find any business that is going to invest "x" amount into a project that could potentially be destructed within a few years? I wouldn't have any idea how much it is likely to cost but regardless how small or large the cost is, I think we might struggle to find the sponsorship money but fair play to the club for at least looking into it and I maybe completely wrong.

Agree with what you say about the trust though Chris, for many years it was said about our club that our customer service was poor. The trust have completely transformed this which just shows the power of having the supporters voice on the board. From the away fans acclaimed bars to the themed nights they've been responsible for - they have really in my opinion improved not only match day experience but the overall feel of satisfaction of supporting our club. In my honest opinion anyone that can afford to join that trust that isn't a member now should seriously question themselves.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
LH
February 26, 2015, 12:52pm

Is it just business sponsorship they're after or could fans back it financially?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
Caesar
February 26, 2015, 1:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Can someone on here point me in the direction of the exact rules on terraces in the football league.  I have read the article and think it is great to be part of a trial for safe standing i.e. not terracing.  The club and the Trust deserve great credit for this move and certainly have my thanks.

But the article states that iff promoted we would not be able to use terracing hence us going for safe standing rail seats.  But I thought Leagues 1 and 2 could have normal terracing, Barnet built the Hive for example with intent presumably to play in the league, and Carlisle and Peterborough Fleetwood and the Scunts all have terraced and play in the league do they not.  Once again I back us going for safe standing anyway I just am confused about the actual rules I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
KK_DOG
February 26, 2015, 1:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Safe standing could be a fantastic opportunity for a business to sponsor. With it being relatively new it could potentially attract a lot of interest and publicity one installed at Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
headingly_mariner
February 26, 2015, 1:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I think it's the start of a great idea, although as I have said the right side of the pontoon alone wouldn't really improve the atmosphere, but it's great the club is looking into this and could be at the forefront of safe standing. It might be worth the Club approaching the football supporters federation as this is high on their agenda and although they aren't loaded they might want to sponsor the pontoon and use it as a shining example of safe standing.

If they converted the pontoon to Safe Standing I would be switching my season ticket straight across.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
BIGChris
February 26, 2015, 1:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Caesar
Can someone on here point me in the direction of the exact rules on terraces in the football league.  I have read the article and think it is great to be part of a trial for safe standing i.e. not terracing.  The club and the Trust deserve great credit for this move and certainly have my thanks.

But the article states that iff promoted we would not be able to use terracing hence us going for safe standing rail seats.  But I thought Leagues 1 and 2 could have normal terracing, Barnet built the Hive for example with intent presumably to play in the league, and Carlisle and Peterborough Fleetwood and the Scunts all have terraced and play in the league do they not.  Once again I back us going for safe standing anyway I just am confused about the actual rules I think.

Can't point you in the right direction regarding the written rules but my understanding following previous discussions with the club is that current legislation will not allow you to REMOVE seats to make terracing. If terracing is already there, or if it is a new build then that is ok.

As we all know 'the law is an behind'
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
Caesar
February 26, 2015, 1:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Can't point you in the right direction regarding the written rules but my understanding following previous discussions with the club is that current legislation will not allow you to REMOVE seats to make terracing. If terracing is already there, or if it is a new build then that is ok.

As we all know 'the law is an behind'

Ah right, at least that makes sense, well some kind of sense.  Cheers Chris
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2015, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Without being negative, as I think this is tremendous, the corner does seen a very small area. Or is it the whole rows to the front of the stand???

Be negative, its good for you!

I think Blundell Park being all seater gives us a little bit of kudos myself, a reminder of better days.

Blundell Park to me, despite its age, seems like a proper Football League ground, and it is depressing when you visit non league grounds and see bits and bobs of tin pot stands/ a tiny bit of seating for the directors and generally looking like, well, a non league ground.

If we are to get any improvements sponsored, I would go for enclosing the end of the pontoon to keep the noise in.

If the new stadium ever sees the light of the day, then as part of the design that would be fair enough I guess.  
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
rancido
February 26, 2015, 2:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
I would imagine the " safe standing/seats " equipment will be transferable to a new stadium , just like the new scoreboard.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
ackomariner
February 26, 2015, 2:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from KK_DOG
I think it's a great idea for those that want to stand. Won't affect me because I prefer to sit and have a side view rather than behind the goal. Is it going to cause a problem with some of the season ticket holders in the pontoon that want to sit ? Hopefully they will be happy to move if required but it is a consideration.

This, you've got people that's had the same seat for 5,10,15,20 yrs...can't see them wanting to move

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
grimps
February 26, 2015, 2:49pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

This, you've got people that's had the same seat for 20,30,40 yrs......can't see them wanting to move

I doubt anyone has had a seat in the Pontoon for 40 years , they've only had seats in it 20
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
ackomariner
February 26, 2015, 2:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimps

I doubt anyone has had a seat in the Pontoon for 40 years , they've only had seats in it 20

Course they have.....just edited post  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
friskneymariner
February 26, 2015, 3:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Yeah just safe standing sponsored by Durex.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
Jarmo.Is.God
February 26, 2015, 3:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
genuine question, the safe standing has seats that are easily usable, but if you are sat down and the person in the front row are stood, will you still be able to see ?

thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
LH
February 26, 2015, 4:06pm

Is there a figure for how much this would cost anywhere? Can't see one but just wondering as this could follow in the Pontoon's footsteps and be paid for by the fans who use it. I don't sit in the Pontoon anymore but would chip in a bit of cash if fan power could make this happen.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
biggles9999
February 26, 2015, 4:29pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
genuine question, the safe standing has seats that are easily usable, but if you are sat down and the person in the front row are stood, will you still be able to see ?

thanks

Can you see if somebody stands up infront of you while youre sat down now?

I highly doubt that the safe standing 'seats' will be an extra 2 foot up in the air.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
rancido
February 26, 2015, 4:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

thanks

As I understand it the seats can either be all locked up or down depending on the circumstances. It won't be a case of whoever is sitting there making that decision but the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
nomorefourfiveone
February 26, 2015, 4:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
I've been using the pontoon (I prefer being behind a goal) for over 40 years and am very happy (now) sitting down - we've built up a little group of what have become friends and I like the idea that I have my own seat, regardless of what time I turn up, with the same people around me. I would be quite upset if that had to change. I suppose that's why they have earmarked the 'far right' (maybe a better description is available? end of the stand - where the noisy fans go and not the whole stand and risk alienating the silent (in more ways than one) majority.

I am, of course, assuming that when they refer to the 'right' they are talking about the right when looking from the pitch?
Strange how the 'singing section' has migrated towards the river - when I were a lad (etc etc) it was directly behind the goal....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
promotion plaice
February 26, 2015, 4:52pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from biggles9999

Can you see if somebody stands up infront of you while youre sat down now?

I highly doubt that the safe standing 'seats' will be an extra 2 foot up in the air.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2vseq8l.jpg[/IMG]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
February 26, 2015, 5:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from LH

Serious question for Nick Dale. Have the club actually looked into this, I personally think it would make a massive difference in terms of an atmosphere.
Reply: 44 - 75
Jaws
February 26, 2015, 5:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Can't the money be used to fill-in the sides and improve the acoustics. I'd chuck in £50 for that.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
promotion plaice
February 26, 2015, 5:58pm

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 6:09pm

Exile
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

thanks

No but if the bloke behind you is standing and you are sitting then you will,

Hope that helps.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
alvinghammariner
February 26, 2015, 6:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Quoted from promotion plaice

The Daily Mail love us at the minute!

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
ginnywings
February 26, 2015, 6:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Can we have cushions in the upper? Those seats play havoc with my arthritic knees and hips.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 7:15pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
Can we have cushions in the upper? Those seats play havoc with my arthritic knees and hips.  

Join the club Ginny

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 75
Nelly GTFC
February 26, 2015, 7:21pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2vseq8l.jpg[/IMG]
Only reason I sit in the lower smiths is because you get a great view of the game, the atmosphere there is terrible even in the best of games though, no fault of it's own, just the way it is.
When I hear them all singing behind the goal makes me wish I was there to join in.

All that space in the old Imperial corner...?  That's where I used to stand. Plus you get a better view of the game. The safe standing gear in pic above would be ideal for that corner, easy to setup.

Then again a lot of people would want standing behind the goal regardless, understandable.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 75
Civvy at last
February 26, 2015, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from GTFCNick

As it helps to clear up any confusion very quickly.

I am still confused as to the official capacity of the 'spokesman' for GTFC
That rolled over so easily  for the FGR steward enquirey !!!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 75
Mrs Doyle
February 26, 2015, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
From the middle of the lower Findus the lads to the right of the Pontoon were in great voice against Bristol PRIOR to and after kick off. Don't really see the point in having a seat fitted when they will almost certainly be locked shut all the time. Unless this is a trial for doing the rest of the stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 75
Fcukthescunts
February 26, 2015, 8:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Now on BBC website great opportunity for us to be first in UK for this and business sponsoring would get publicity. Well done town fwd thinking at last.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 75
ska face
February 26, 2015, 10:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
As someone who's campaigned for this, in one from an another, for years, I can't commend the Trust and the club enough. You can pick at this or that, the location, the open side, the cost - but this is a massive step forward for all concerned, so hats off.

Also, after spending an afternoon on twitter talking about this, I've decided there can't be a more ignorant, thick, self-pitying set of grief junkies than Liverpool fans. Truly astounded at how thick some of them are, absolute pig ignorance hiding behind a Hillsborough banner. Embarrassing.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 75
psgmariner
February 26, 2015, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ska face
As someone who's campaigned for this, in one from an another, for years, I can't commend the Trust and the club enough. You can pick at this or that, the location, the open side, the cost - but this is a massive step forward for all concerned, so hats off.

Also, after spending an afternoon on twitter talking about this, I've decided there can't be a more ignorant, thick, self-pitying set of grief junkies than Liverpool fans. Truly astounded at how thick some of them are, absolute pig ignorance hiding behind a Hillsborough banner. Embarrassing.

Like.

Agree entirely.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 75
LH
February 26, 2015, 10:41pm

I wasn't really picking at the open side. It's been mentioned time and time again as a relatively easy solution to the atmosphere problem at BP. I assume that there is probably good visibility of that particular area from the police box and that probably means we won't get the side filled in.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 75
Southwark Mariner
February 26, 2015, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
it's really pleasing to see how well the club and fans are now working together with the help of the Mariners' Trust

ps some slogans that may or may not be used...

"you can stand behind us, you can stand beside us, but you can't stand in our way"

or my personal favourite:

"safe standing - you want it, you pay for it"  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 75
grimps
February 27, 2015, 6:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
They should just take out the seats and put some of the old type crush barriers back in the pontoon.
This would be lots cheaper plus it would increase the capacity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 75
BIGChris
February 27, 2015, 6:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from grimps
They should just take out the seats and put some of the old type crush barriers back in the pontoon.
This would be lots cheaper plus it would increase the capacity

As stated previously in this thread the club have said many times that current legislation will not allow them to remove seats and return any part of the ground to terracing. It is safe standing or the seating stays.

You may know different but the club have given me this message consistently and I have no reason to think they are lying on this matter
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
Green27
February 27, 2015, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from nomorefourfiveone
I've been using the pontoon (I prefer being behind a goal) for over 40 years and am very happy (now) sitting down - we've built up a little group of what have become friends and I like the idea that I have my own seat, regardless of what time I turn up, with the same people around me. I would be quite upset if that had to change. I suppose that's why they have earmarked the 'far right' (maybe a better description is available? end of the stand - where the noisy fans go and not the whole stand and risk alienating the silent (in more ways than one) majority.

I am, of course, assuming that when they refer to the 'right' they are talking about the right when looking from the pitch?
Strange how the 'singing section' has migrated towards the river - when I were a lad (etc etc) it was directly behind the goal....

That's because of reserved seating. If it was terracing the singing section would still be behind the goal. But as you say you've built up a few friends there the older pontoonites still sit where they use to when it changed in 1994 and as time has gone on they no longer have the same vim and bigger they use to   So now those who want to sing need to find an area of 30-40 seats with no reservations so they can group together.

If the club were to reconstruct the corners with terracing would that contravene the law as it would technically count as a new stand or is it that you can't change an all seater stadia back to any part terracing?

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
Caesar
February 27, 2015, 8:07am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Green27

If the club were to reconstruct the corners with terracing would that contravene the law as it would technically count as a new stand or is it that you can't change an all seater stadia back to any part terracing?

It seems that the reason we cannot use terracing at all is actually to do with our previous time in the Championship.  According to the BBC page:

This is because the Mariners spent more than three years in the second tier (1992-97, 1998-2003). The stipulations of the Taylor Report mean that once back in the Football League, Grimsby would need to adhere to the same all-seater conditions currently placed on any club in the Championship or Premier League.

So had we spent less time being a successful club we could have had an entirely terraced ground and spend as long as we want in Leagues 1 and 2.  The Taylor report was necessary at the time and IMO did a a lot of great stuff for football in getting games safer.  However if this is the reason we have to jump through extra hoops for safe standing areas it really does show that the report was done speedily and with some very stupid stipulations in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134

Really? I think it's about time! I genuinely feel more satisfied and happy with GTFC since the lieks of BigChris have got involved with things in the club and we get to know alot of stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Going by the picture on here of the safe standing i don't think it'd do much to the atmosphere. The attendance can't be increased and when you score you have a barrier infront and behind you. Sounds stupid i know but for example if it's terracing you can all jump around and go crazy, run to the front etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 6:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +710
Would it be a good idea to put safe standing into the entire lower findus as it's closer to the pitch and spread across the length of the pitch. Better visual and acoustics in my mind for the players to feel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 7:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
I personally think these rail seats are a better design of seating / safe standing than the current seats. I've grazed and bruised my shins no end of times stood up with the current seats in place, because they're so low down and shin level. These rail seats seem to have the design that could stop me from grazing and cutting my shins when there's a goal scored and we all jump up to celebrate.

Is it just me, or does anyone have this problem with the current seats? I think the current seats are dangerous to fans that like to stand. I've even fell a couple of rows once, when we'd scored.    

It might be just me, but I think it's about time these rail seats were put into place. It's been a long time coming. #GetItDone

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 10:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
i used to always get cut on the seats when i went to home games!
In fairness I did chuck myself about when we scored
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 10:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Let's pay for it ourselves, funded by the fans rather than relying on local businesses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 10:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from H19P1
Let's pay for it ourselves, funded by the fans rather than relying on local businesses.

I was thinking that.

How much would cost? Anyone in the know?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
LH
February 27, 2015, 10:52pm

I asked earlier in the thread. No replies. The Pontoon was originally built using money raised by the fans. What better way can we show we're a community club in need of a community stadium?
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 10:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Not sure obviously depends on how many seats are required at an area of BP that has been given authorisation to do this. Ie pontoon centre section or findus lower?

Think it's an action for the Mariners Trust to take to the board to discuss and then get the go ahead for prices.

Once a location is agreed, a quotation to be obtained then the trust to organise funding from the fans.

I and most on this forum would chip in, I'm sure of if.

Local businesses could be approached as well and I've already emailed Nick as I've work related contacts.

We can do this together but needs coordinating good and proper through a committee or trust.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 10:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
I asked earlier in the thread. No replies. The Pontoon was originally built using money raised by the fans. What better way can we show we're a community club in need of a community stadium?

Totally agree.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 75
promotion plaice
February 27, 2015, 11:02pm

Quoted from H19P1
Not sure obviously depends on how many seats are required at an area of BP that has been given authorisation to do this. Ie pontoon centre section or findus lower?

Think it's an action for the Mariners Trust to take to the board to discuss and then get the go ahead for prices.

Once a location is agreed, a quotation to be obtained then the trust to organise funding from the fans.

I and most on this forum would chip in, I'm sure of if.

Local businesses could be approached as well and I've already emailed Nick as I've work related contacts.

We can do this together but needs coordinating good and proper through a committee or trust.

Maybe the Football Supporters Federation could help on pricing ( Safe Standing Roadshow ) front of picture
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/28ja3o8.jpg[/IMG]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
I’d like to do a survey at my club – where do I start?
There’s no one size fits all model, clubs are unique in that respect, but there are general rules to follow. If you are planning on doing this please let us know – we can provide advice, contacts, and the safe standing survey format used by Anne-Marie.
Speak to all the “stakeholders” at your club. Think of supporters’ clubs and trusts, fanzines, websites, forums, blogs, local papers and local journalists.
Don’t forget the club itself – in Anne Marie’s case they were very supportive – your first port of call is probably the Supporter Liaison Officer. If you want to survey fans inside the ground, or on adjacent property, you’ll need their permission. Even if they don’t give that, it’s a good way to introduce yourself and the concept of the survey. Always be polite, always be reasonable, and always be persistent.
Online is fine but for club-specific surveys there’s no reason you can’t get out and about to hit pre-match pubs and other areas where fans gather in decent numbers. A cynic might suggest that online surveys can be self-selecting, if you’re in favour of safe standing you’re more likely to fill it in, but that criticism can be tackled if you’ve got loads of “real world” responses.
Fair representation of your club’s support is important too. Find out the proportion of your club’s female support and try to ensure your survey replicates that. Speak to all age ranges and involve any disabled supporters’ groups. It’s also worth surveying different areas of the ground, while the Family Stand isn’t going to be turned into a safe standing area it’s important to know what those fans think.
Keep us informed of progress and publication dates. We can pass on to any local media contacts and cover via the FSF website, Fan Mail ebulletin, Twitter @The_FSF, and FSF Facebook page.
- See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/case-study-safe-standing-survey#sthash.W8kLOBaM.dpuf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 28, 2015, 12:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

thanks

Ridiculous comment. It's for when we play in the champions league

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing In The Pontoon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.