BIGChris
February 27, 2015, 6:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimps
They should just take out the seats and put some of the old type crush barriers back in the pontoon.
This would be lots cheaper plus it would increase the capacity

As stated previously in this thread the club have said many times that current legislation will not allow them to remove seats and return any part of the ground to terracing. It is safe standing or the seating stays.

You may know different but the club have given me this message consistently and I have no reason to think they are lying on this matter
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
Green27
February 27, 2015, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from nomorefourfiveone
I've been using the pontoon (I prefer being behind a goal) for over 40 years and am very happy (now) sitting down - we've built up a little group of what have become friends and I like the idea that I have my own seat, regardless of what time I turn up, with the same people around me. I would be quite upset if that had to change. I suppose that's why they have earmarked the 'far right' (maybe a better description is available? end of the stand - where the noisy fans go and not the whole stand and risk alienating the silent (in more ways than one) majority.

I am, of course, assuming that when they refer to the 'right' they are talking about the right when looking from the pitch?
Strange how the 'singing section' has migrated towards the river - when I were a lad (etc etc) it was directly behind the goal....

That's because of reserved seating. If it was terracing the singing section would still be behind the goal. But as you say you've built up a few friends there the older pontoonites still sit where they use to when it changed in 1994 and as time has gone on they no longer have the same vim and bigger they use to   So now those who want to sing need to find an area of 30-40 seats with no reservations so they can group together.

If the club were to reconstruct the corners with terracing would that contravene the law as it would technically count as a new stand or is it that you can't change an all seater stadia back to any part terracing?

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
Caesar
February 27, 2015, 8:07am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Green27

If the club were to reconstruct the corners with terracing would that contravene the law as it would technically count as a new stand or is it that you can't change an all seater stadia back to any part terracing?

It seems that the reason we cannot use terracing at all is actually to do with our previous time in the Championship.  According to the BBC page:

This is because the Mariners spent more than three years in the second tier (1992-97, 1998-2003). The stipulations of the Taylor Report mean that once back in the Football League, Grimsby would need to adhere to the same all-seater conditions currently placed on any club in the Championship or Premier League.

So had we spent less time being a successful club we could have had an entirely terraced ground and spend as long as we want in Leagues 1 and 2.  The Taylor report was necessary at the time and IMO did a a lot of great stuff for football in getting games safer.  However if this is the reason we have to jump through extra hoops for safe standing areas it really does show that the report was done speedily and with some very stupid stipulations in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
Why is a club official posting on a fans message board?

Really? I think it's about time! I genuinely feel more satisfied and happy with GTFC since the lieks of BigChris have got involved with things in the club and we get to know alot of stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Going by the picture on here of the safe standing i don't think it'd do much to the atmosphere. The attendance can't be increased and when you score you have a barrier infront and behind you. Sounds stupid i know but for example if it's terracing you can all jump around and go crazy, run to the front etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 6:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Would it be a good idea to put safe standing into the entire lower findus as it's closer to the pitch and spread across the length of the pitch. Better visual and acoustics in my mind for the players to feel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 7:42pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I personally think these rail seats are a better design of seating / safe standing than the current seats. I've grazed and bruised my shins no end of times stood up with the current seats in place, because they're so low down and shin level. These rail seats seem to have the design that could stop me from grazing and cutting my shins when there's a goal scored and we all jump up to celebrate.

Is it just me, or does anyone have this problem with the current seats? I think the current seats are dangerous to fans that like to stand. I've even fell a couple of rows once, when we'd scored.    

It might be just me, but I think it's about time these rail seats were put into place. It's been a long time coming. #GetItDone

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 10:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
i used to always get cut on the seats when i went to home games!
In fairness I did chuck myself about when we scored
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
H19P1
February 27, 2015, 10:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Let's pay for it ourselves, funded by the fans rather than relying on local businesses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 10:43pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
Quoted from H19P1
Let's pay for it ourselves, funded by the fans rather than relying on local businesses.

I was thinking that.

How much would cost? Anyone in the know?

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing In The Pontoon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.