4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
LongEatonMariner
February 26, 2015, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I agree PH has his favourites but he has dropped Disley a couple of times, granted after he tried to play him out wide last season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
oldun
February 26, 2015, 1:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Depends on fitness levels I guess and it looks unlikely Palmer will be ready to start. I don't foresee many changes at all and just a case of who partners Lenny, Jolley or Pittman. If fit I would go with Pittman as of the two I think he works better with Lenny. The only other decision for me would be whether to start with Brown and have Clay on the bench. Clay has done quite well but has had some hard games lately and has been clattered a few times and he faded a bit in the second half on Tues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Maringer
February 26, 2015, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Brown looked very poor when he came on on Tuesday night - the game just passed him by and he didn't look properly fit to me. I'd definitely prefer us to start with Clay (or perhaps McLaughlin) with Brown as an option on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
ackomariner
February 26, 2015, 2:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer

Yet he's still scored as many goals as all our other strikers combined this season (one less when you count the young lad who came on loan from Barnsley). As I've said in the past, the lack of goals from elsewhere is our striking problem, not LJL's contribution.

If you'd said at the start of the season that he would score 15 goals I'd have been pleased with that total as he leads the line and does much of the donkey work for the team. After racing up the scoring charts before Christmas, he's been on a lean spell but is still our main contributor and I'm hoping he'll start knocking the odd one in again here and there rather than calling for him to be dropped for someone who has pretty much no experience in English football.

Here's something to think about. Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst some when we let Cook depart at the end of last season? In two seasons at the club, he scored just 14 goals in the Conference from 44 starts and 29 sub appearances. In comparison, LJL has scored almost that many in just 31 appearances this season yet some still deem that this is not good enough! Nuts.

I should think he would've scored as many as all our other strikers combined, he's played nearly every minute.
He should've added at least four to his tally the other night, but didn't , so right or wrong people will have a pop just as they did with Hannah missing a chance when he made an appearance the other week.

I still feel that hurst has put all his eggs in one basket with LJL , but if we had a striker that could finish off all these chances that have been created for him this season we would be sitting top looking down on everybody.

He was dire the other night but kept his place and its reasons like that , that the fans of this club are split over hurst and the player himself,but excrement happends....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
KK_DOG
February 26, 2015, 2:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Palmer was fit and started on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Maringer
February 26, 2015, 3:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ackomariner

I should think he would've scored as many as all our other strikers combined, he's played nearly every minute.
He should've added at least four to his tally the other night, but didn't , so right or wrong people will have a pop just as they did with Hannah missing a chance when he made an appearance the other week.

At least four goals the other night? Christ on a Bike, not asking for too much, are you!  

I'd say LJL had three good chances and two half-chances the other night. Should have scored at least one from these and preferably two, but two of the 'good' chances were actually well-saved and one of his half-chances hit the bar. On another day he'd easily have had a couple. That's just what you tend to get with footballers in Non-League, unfortunately, the odd notable exception aside. As lots of others have pointed out in the past, if he was a good finisher, he wouldn't be playing for us. I understand that he forced the keeper into a couple of good saves at Barnet and one of his efforts which was saved led to a goal for Pittman on that day so it's not as if he hasn't been contributing at all.

For me, the problem with Hannah is that he offers nothing to the team other than the hope he might score and I personally think he's playing above his level by a division or so at the moment. His one-on-one effort to win the game at FGR (where he even got two bites at the cherry) was just pitiful though I think his toe poked effort for a late equaliser against Bristol Rovers was tricky so don't blame him too much for that miss. Pity he couldn't keep that one down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
LongEatonMariner
February 26, 2015, 4:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Face, Murdoch, Hannibal and BA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 5:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I saw Jolley for the first time at Barnet,

I thought he looked a very talented footballer who was not match fit,

He will not get fit by sitting on the bench,

So I would start with him and bring Palmer on in the 70th minute,

Just in time to score a couple of goals  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A team for Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.