Maringer
February 25, 2015, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Zero movement off the ball last night. Our leading goal scorer hasn't scored from open play since before Xmas, why is he bomb proof?

Zero movement off the ball? How about when he had his first chance from Arnold's cross (created by an excellent run from Arnold). His movement was good enough to get him into the right position in the box then. What about his one-on-one in the second half when he ran through onto the flick forward from Jolley (I think), then ran 40-odd yards with the ball before having his effort saved?

LJL didn't have a good game last night but he still got himself into position for 5 chances, 2 of which were saved and one of which hit the bar. In comparison, Watson has had less than a handful of brief cameos and I'm not sure if he's even had a shot on target as yet, has he?

When Palmer regains full fitness, you could understand if LJL was dropped/rested with Pittman, Jolley and Hannah also available, but saying that Watson should be given a start in his place is just nuts!

Watson seems to be becoming the new Hockless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
headingly_mariner
February 25, 2015, 11:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33

You must have watched a different game to me last night.

Probably, opinions are like arseholes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Les Brechin
February 25, 2015, 11:15pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
They always say you should never change a winning team so if the XI that started on Tuesday are all fit, you go with the same team again.

I think PH is in a bit of a Catch22 situation here.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Abdul19
February 25, 2015, 11:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
                      McKeown
             Magnay        Pearson
Mackreth              Disley               Arnold
Jolley Palmer John-Lewis Hannah Pittman

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Maringer
February 25, 2015, 11:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
                      McKeown
             Magnay        Pearson
Mackreth              Disley               Arnold
Jolley Palmer John-Lewis Hannah Pittman

A bit too defensive for me. Let's try a properly Victorian formation:

McKeown
                                   Pearson
                               Magnay  Toto
Mackreth  LJL  Pittman  Palmer  Hannah  Jolley  Arnold
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
ackomariner
February 26, 2015, 4:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer

Watson hasn't scored a goal since August and has only played about 30 minutes of football since then, yet you want to drop LJL because hasn't scored in a month?

Interesting choice.  

Yeah I would.....lewis would be nowhere near my team and its not because he hasn't scored in a month, it's because he's not good enough, never has been and never will be

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
February 26, 2015, 6:25am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Clearly LJL won't get dropped even though he hasn't scored this year but here's a variation for you:

Maca

Magnay
Toto
Shaun
Robertson

Clay
Brown
Dis

Arnold
Palmer
Jolley

Couldn't agree more with the switch to 4-3-3.

Our back four picks itself. The central midfield three is very strong, we'd see a different Christian Jolley if he was wide of the central striker and we could get balls behind him so he could use that pace, same with Arnold.

Please be brave PH, it isn't working at home with this rigid 4-4-2 formation. We've sone room to manoeuvre as far as play offs are concerned but if we were to switch to a formation that suits our players then do it now.
Reply: 26 - 37
Maringer
February 26, 2015, 8:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

Yeah I would.....lewis would be nowhere near my team and its not because he hasn't scored in a month, it's because he's not good enough, never has been and never will be

Yet he's still scored as many goals as all our other strikers combined this season (one less when you count the young lad who came on loan from Barnsley). As I've said in the past, the lack of goals from elsewhere is our striking problem, not LJL's contribution.

If you'd said at the start of the season that he would score 15 goals I'd have been pleased with that total as he leads the line and does much of the donkey work for the team. After racing up the scoring charts before Christmas, he's been on a lean spell but is still our main contributor and I'm hoping he'll start knocking the odd one in again here and there rather than calling for him to be dropped for someone who has pretty much no experience in English football.

Here's something to think about. Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst some when we let Cook depart at the end of last season? In two seasons at the club, he scored just 14 goals in the Conference from 44 starts and 29 sub appearances. In comparison, LJL has scored almost that many in just 31 appearances this season yet some still deem that this is not good enough! Nuts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2015, 9:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I think we will be lucky to see much more of Palmer this season. Hamstring injuries are long lasting especially if the player comes back too soon so I reckon Hurst will not risk him as a starter for at least another couple of game and possibly more if the side is winning without him. At this stage 1-0 is as good as 5-0 to him.

Seeing as Hurst will never voluntarily leave out penalty king LJL and he clearly doesn't rate Hannah either, there won't be many changes up front, if any, unless there are more injuries. Not that I'd agree, it's just the way the manager's mind works isn't it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Maringer
February 26, 2015, 9:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
The one positive thing about Palmer's injury is that I don't think it failed catastrophically in the way that Pittman's injury came about earlier in the season?

If it was just a bit of a tweak, hopefully he'll be back in contention soon, even if he isn't available on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A team for Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.