Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do we ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

How do we ?

This thread currently has 2,841 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
February 25, 2015, 2:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Create the same sort of atmosphere at home games like we do at the away ones ?

Its does not take a brain surgeon to realise our great support at away games inspires the team to play better,

We should be singing from the off until the end of the game,

If anybody has any good idea's please say,

Then the team might just react and give us a few big wins before the season is over.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Fcukthescunts
February 25, 2015, 3:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Away games often standing so people who want to sing etc are near each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Mariner Timsky
February 25, 2015, 3:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Away days are so different to home games, , it's more of an event, a day out, , home games are viewed differently.

And how many of the 1000 from Barnet for example would have been at the game last night?? Yes the Gy based fans would of been and they would of travelled on sat but a lot of the away crowd are exiles. I don't know but totally agree that BP is rather flat apart from a couple of games a season.

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Garth
February 25, 2015, 3:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Siege mentality Pete, your in the enemies patch and need to shout loud to support the outnumbered, at home you should feel confident that a win is just around the corner so no one bothers too much.

Its not just at BP,the  Barnet crowd were library quiet on Saturday, for real atmosphere at the Park we need to be a league or two higher with at least three to five hundred away supporters to chant to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Caesar
February 25, 2015, 3:47pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Got to agree away games are different, all fans are congregated in one stand or area as opposed to spread round further making it easier to get a song going.    Gateshead this season when we won 6-1 the atmosphere was flat as the fans were quite spread out.

However also I think Barnet was exceptional, I have been to many away games this season and not once have I had an atmosphere close to that.  If we want to recreate it the closest we can get is by individuals not to being embarrassed about singing like a maniac.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
ackomariner
February 25, 2015, 3:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Away days are so different to home games, , it's more of an event, a day out, , home games are viewed differently.

And how many of the 1000 from Barnet for example would have been at the game last night?? Yes the Gy based fans would of been and they would of travelled on sat but a lot of the away crowd are exiles. I don't know but totally agree that BP is rather flat apart from a couple of games a season.

The thing to get the fans going at BP is the football, nothing more.....nothing less.
It's boring on the pitch, so boring off it

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Caesar
February 25, 2015, 3:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from ackomariner

The thing to get the fans going at BP is the football, nothing more.....nothing less.
It's boring on the pitch, so boring off it

That is only partially true though Acko.  I mean the atmosphere at Barnet was amazing but the football was not the greatest we have played.  We were just up for making the atmosphere incredible regardless of performance.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
The Singing Fisherman
February 25, 2015, 4:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
To many negative people at blundell park expecting it to be shite before it is. They go with that attitude. If we all did what we do away and turn up and sing and be positive has fans I'm certain the home record would be a lot better. We do it away no matter how we are playing so why can't we at home. The atmosphere has been decent a few times this season from the start at blundell park and we have won and played well for example the Barnet game and the flags. So we can do it. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Chrisblor
February 25, 2015, 4:10pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Town fans drunk The Hive dry on Saturday (and presumably did a lot of drinking on trains, minibuses and pubs before even getting there) which I imagine somewhat contributed to last Saturday's atmosphere. I'd hazard a guess that most Town fans don't spend several hours drinking heavily in the run up to a Tuesday night game against Telford. Also Blundell Park is full of miserable old moaning girl privates (you can usually hear a couple of them sat near John Tondeur when he's commentating).

Oh yeah we barely ever get anything approaching a sizable away crowd at home so that doesn't really help matters either. The solution to this is getting promoted back into the league.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
psgmariner
February 25, 2015, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Chrisblor
The solution to this is getting promoted back into the league.

And getting drunk.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
oldun
February 25, 2015, 5:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Chrisblor
Town fans drunk The Hive dry on Saturday (and presumably did a lot of drinking on trains, minibuses and pubs before even getting there) which I imagine somewhat contributed to last Saturday's atmosphere. I'd hazard a guess that most Town fans don't spend several hours drinking heavily in the run up to a Tuesday night game against Telford. Also Blundell Park is full of miserable old moaning girl privates (you can usually hear a couple of them sat near John Tondeur when he's commentating).

Oh yeah we barely ever get anything approaching a sizable away crowd at home so that doesn't really help matters either. The solution to this is getting promoted back into the league.

you are right there, one of then started moaning around 9 mins in and never stopped. He was on Lenny's back form start to finish, plus hurling instructions to PH. I know he pays his money and is entitled to his opinion, but I really do not know why he bothers going.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
grimsby pete
February 25, 2015, 5:57pm

Exile
I got an idea, I put it on another thread,

Go to the Town bar and get tanked up watching Eastleigh and Macclesfield,

Then go and STAND in the Ponny and sing your hearts out,

That's the Braintree game sorted just the other 4 games now.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
moosey_club
February 25, 2015, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
Free bar....classic match video's on the tv.....a couple of strippers....and Roberts your fathers brother  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
GiveUsAG
February 25, 2015, 10:18pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
The atmosphere will get better, not sure about the Telford game I wasn't there, but against Barnet and Bristol Rovers the fans in the pontoon were great and we're hoping to create the same kind of atmosphere or better on Saturday. We're encouraging as many as possible to come stand in the pontoon and get behind the team, and make as much noise as we can. It WILL be noisy on Saturday.  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
kevikov
February 25, 2015, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 13
I was in the ponny on tuesday, my "8 and its the conga" chant near the end didn't quite catch on as much as i thought it would!
Miserable feckers  

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
grimps
February 26, 2015, 4:37am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
The best atmosphere years ago while we was still getting smallish crowds was when the away fans was put in the corner next to the Pontoon.
Being right up against each other always made good fun during the game, to be fair most of the chants on those days was threats about never making the coaches , come in a taxi, gonna get your fuffing head kicked in , ect
I belive this is why the singing part of the Pontoon is still situated in the top corner today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 10:53am

Exile
Quoted from GiveUsAG
The atmosphere will get better, not sure about the Telford game I wasn't there, but against Barnet and Bristol Rovers the fans in the pontoon were great and we're hoping to create the same kind of atmosphere or better on Saturday. We're encouraging as many as possible to come stand in the pontoon and get behind the team, and make as much noise as we can. It WILL be noisy on Saturday.  

Good lad Gary, sing loud and proud mate

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
RichMariner
February 26, 2015, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
There's a sense of expectation when people turn up at BP. There's no excuse for losing at home to anyone in this division, given our budget, league placing and (arguably) history.

Whether that's right or wrong is up for debate, but I suggest that's what the majority think. They pay £16 upwards and expect to be entertained.

Going back just a few years when we were in the Championship, it was different. It was more like the siege mentality that was mentioned at the start of this thread. We had hundreds, sometimes thousands, of opposition fans coming onto our patch, expecting to win, and we were there to ruin their day.

A defeat was more excusable back then, given the division, budgets and league placing etc. As long as the players put a shift in, and we competed for 90 minutes, fans went home happy. A victory was brilliant, but not always expected.

You won't get that now at BP. The atmosphere in the home match v Barnet was decent, with the flags etc, but I suspect that's as good as you're going to get unless a team brings about 800 fans with them to create a bit of hostility.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do we ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.