Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › ' Talk of the country '
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 325 Guests

' Talk of the country '

This thread currently has 5,652 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lukeo
February 23, 2015, 3:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,307
Gold Stars: 134
I've had so many people coming up to me in Devon/Somerset the past 2-3 days, messaging me, tagging me in things on facebook and saying how "amazing" our fans are. Well done to everyone for keeping the faith and really getting behind the team. Although it's gutting because I can't be there it's great to see these pictures and videos!
keep the faith
utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Paris Mariner
February 23, 2015, 3:44pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I have to say that I'm glad I made the trip over. It is safely one of the best away days I've been to following too. Easily in my top 3 three since we've been in the Conference (Lincoln 1-4 Grimsby at the Bank and Cambridge 0-1 Town at The Abbey would complete that set, in case you're interested). The atmosphere was excellent. People singing from well before kick off, inflatables everywhere and a stellar performance to top it off. I think you could see how much affect it had on the squad too because after the third goal nearly every player came down to the front of the stand to celebrate with their team mates and the fans. Let's hope it kicks on to what we all want.

Credit must go to Barnet and their stewards. They handled the party excellently even when people got a bit over zealous at the end. It was just a great away day it was so much fun it was hard to give 100% concentration to what was going on on the pitch. What a great set up that is down there too. I went in their bar afterwards with my Barnet supporting mate. Good atmosphere in there, reasonably priced booze (for London) and TVs everywhere to catch the results and tea-time game. Their players and staff were in and out too. I didn't see them actually interacting with any fans but you'd have to assume they do if required (by an autograph hunter, for example) as the didn't seem to bothered about passing through. It was nice to see that the proximity between fans and players can exist harmoniously. We showed it in the stand and on the pitch, they showed what could happen in the bar afterwards. Great day of Conference football all round.

All aboard the promotion train to League 2!! #choochoo

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 23
arryarryarry
February 23, 2015, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 23, 2015, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
Same here luke. Brizzle rovers and Cheltenham fans and, to the 2 lads I know that support Fgr, their fans are totally with us and ashamed about what happened that day

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
grimsby pete
February 23, 2015, 4:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The news is getting around Suffolk as well,

My granddaughter and her fellow plus my other granddaughters fellow have been spreading the word,

They have never seen anything like the Town fans when we are in full voice.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Mariner Timsky
February 23, 2015, 5:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
The most annoying thing is the Premiership fans at work, you tell them about your weekend and how good of an away day it was, your still proper buzzing from it all and show them the pics and vids and they just look at you gone out, , ,they just dont get it!

Oh and they see the scoreline on Sky Sports and say 'you was lucky' or something on them lines.

Ah well, , much rather be a Town fan then an Arsenal , Chelski, Liverpool, Moan Utd , etc any day of the year.

GTID

UTMM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
February 23, 2015, 5:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
The most annoying thing is the Premiership fans at work, you tell them about your weekend and how good of an away day it was, your still proper buzzing from it all and show them the pics and vids and they just look at you gone out, , ,they just dont get it!

Oh and they see the scoreline on Sky Sports and say 'you was lucky' or something on them lines.

Ah well, , much rather be a Town fan then an Arsenal , Chelski, Liverpool, Moan Utd , etc any day of the year.

GTID

UTMM

This, they don't understand what it is about.

Reply: 6 - 23
TownSNAFU5
February 23, 2015, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,774
Gold Stars: 41
A Burnley mate from Clitheroe emailed to say that Town made their fans site.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Caesar
February 23, 2015, 5:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Good to see we are getting mentioned elsewhere, I actually tried calling 606 for the first time ever after the game as I was so buzzing.  Naturally a bit foolish as they wanted to discuss whether LVG was doing a good job or not.      

Premiership fans very rarely seem to understand how following a club can mean so much as despite the huge numbers who attend games, the majority of premiership 'fans' are actually people who never go to games anyway.  I think those that do actually go to games that I meet do completely understand, espically if they are a fan of a team such as Southampton, West Brom or some other team who are not a constant feature of that 'elite'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 6:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

GTID

UTMM

Classic buffer face, they are waiting for their heart to send a message to the brain but that vacuum where their soul used to be, prevents that message from getting there, hence the buffer face, which is also proof that glory hunters have no soul.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
ginnywings
February 23, 2015, 6:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

GTID

UTMM

There's a guy at work who has 2 season tickets for Hull and i heard him on the phone today to his mate saying how good a result it was for "us" on Saturday against QPR. I said to him "what do you mean us, you're not a Hull City fan or even from Hull and you can't surely get a proper buzz from watching a team you don't really support". He said to me, "well it's better than watching that shite at BP".

Nah, no way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Mariner Timsky
February 23, 2015, 6:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Speaking to a Liverpool fan earlier told him about almost 1000 of us down at Barnet going mental for the whole game and his reply was so what we will have 40,000 at the weekend, , but the difference is it means so much more to us, , I actually believe WE got them 2 goals at the end, , they were for US

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
grimsby pete
February 23, 2015, 6:53pm

Exile
It takes me 25 mins to get to Ipswich,

Under an hour to get to Norwich,

BUT

I could never support them and I have lived down here for 28 years.

Mariner's for ever !!!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Mariner Timsky
February 23, 2015, 6:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Classic buffer face, they are waiting for their heart to send a message to the brain but that vacuum where their soul used to be, prevents that message from getting there, hence the buffer face, which is also proof that glory hunters have no soul.

Buffer face! Love it, , spot on for the plastic fans shouting at the telly on a Saturday afternoon or shouting at the screen down their local boozer, ,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
jock dock tower
February 23, 2015, 7:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
To use a Glasgow phrase, the whole thing on Saturday was "pure dead f***ing brilliant"

I've watched the highlights over and over again and still get a tingle watching them. Maybe the rubicon has now been crossed between the players and fans in terms of how they react in fron of the crowds at the really big games. It could, just could, give us the impetus to go and win say 90% of the rest of our games and get automatic promotion.

Keep believing, keep the faith, UTM.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
nightrider
February 23, 2015, 7:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Weve always had decent away support. Its not suprising the team do well away from home
The thing here is the distance town fans had to travel. What was it, 3.5hrs?
I remember Leicester took 6000 to Sheff Weds when they were in the third division which was impressive
I'd say Norwich had one of the most vocal supports Ive seen at BP. The geordies were good but Im sure Norwich came up on a cold Tuesday night when we were relegated under Laws. They were bloody loud. Mind you, they were top and they beat us 1-4 I think....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
grimsby pete
February 23, 2015, 7:36pm

Exile
Quoted from nightrider
Weve always had decent away support. Its not suprising the team do well away from home

That could be the reason our home form is poor,

The lads do not stand behind the goal and sing their hearts out like at Barnet,

Lets change that from tomorrow and start singing from the off,

The players do respond to a loud crowd backing them,

So lets hear it for the boys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
wembley_double98
February 23, 2015, 7:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154

GTID

UTMM

Hello Tim
Along with all this, deluded Cobblers fans constantly ranting on they should be in the championship...whatever

UTM

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
codcheeky
February 23, 2015, 9:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Mariner Timsky
February 23, 2015, 10:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from wembley_double98

Hello Tim
Along with all this, deluded Cobblers fans constantly ranting on they should be in the championship...whatever

UTM

Cobblers fans telling me how they should be top of the league etc, , blah blah blah

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
codcheeky
February 23, 2015, 10:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
https://uniceone.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/2-hats-of-the-week-forest-green-stewards/

there is a link to the barnet inflatable response on the page as well
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
devon mariner
February 24, 2015, 9:30am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
These so called fans from the premier league have never had to go through the ups and downs of being a true supporter.  It breaks me when we lose, but the reverse is the big stupid smile when we win (even badly).  I have supported Town since the late 60's when I went to Grimsby Tech on Eleanor Street.  I came from Immingham but am now an exile having moved away for work in 1987.  I still get home to the occasional game and even at 58 still get excited, just like a kid being given a new toy. Nowadays I live 10 minutes walk from Plainmoor in Torquay and hope we get promoted so that I can see the Mighty Mariners at Exeter, Plymouth(maybe) and Yeovil. Hope all you that go to the Park tonight and for the rest of the season can raise the roof and make it intimidating for all visitors.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
FishOutOfWater
February 24, 2015, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from codcheeky

I've always thought you can find some right members on the DM site and there you have it, photographic proof  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 23
Jarmo.Is.God
February 24, 2015, 1:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
this thread is class !

just shows what a difference a week has in football !

i couldn't go due to work but good on every one of you that went and got us the win !

i hope we dont lose tonight because this thread and the barnet game mean nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › ' Talk of the country '

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.