This thread currently has 5,683 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 22, 2015, 4:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
February 22, 2015, 5:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Fair play to the bloke. Not just sat on the other end of a phone or in a radio studio....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
ska face
February 22, 2015, 5:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,514
Gold Stars: 831
Good on him. I don't think I'd be able to listen to the likes of May Dodds without laughing in her face.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Marinerz93
February 22, 2015, 5:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
It's very tough when facing the type of people who will just turn up to voice their disapproval.  Their mind is already made up and will not look at the big picture, they have a narrow view.  Some of these will also be agents of the opposition.

I can only commend that JF is out there in terrible conditions answering, and facing these people who will no doubt give him a tough time.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 5:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Well done to John,

Narrow minded people will always think their way is the only way,

I bet after the stadium and houses have been built,

People will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
barralad
February 22, 2015, 6:08pm
Mariners Trust
A Town fan mate of mine went and apparently the anti-arguments ranged from:-
We need to protect the wild flowers,
GTFC aren't big enough for a new stadium,
The area doesn't need any affordable housing,
Get the immigrants out...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
Marinerz93
February 22, 2015, 6:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

There is a desperate need for affordable housing in this area and with the flats and surrounding tenements coming down in the next few years the new ground development will go some way towards this.

You can buy wild flower seeds and set an area aside for these and wildlife / nature park.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 22, 2015, 6:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
hate the argument that town is not a big enough club to need a new stadium, you have to be a moron to think that's a legitimate argument, it'd have been like saying britains not a powerful enough country to start an empire, so let's not build an army. If we did this and got to the premier league, the locals would be the first on the feel good bandwagon (exagerated hypothetical situation of course)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
ackomariner
February 22, 2015, 7:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

At the end of the day barra, they are trying anything to not get this built. Some woman on facebook last night going on about trying to get out of the junction from the crem onto weelsby rd, I told her that a new junction or roundabout would be built on the parkway itself to get in and out of the stadium. But no, she wasn't having it, so told her if you want to be negative about the plans, please be sure to have all the facts before she makes herself look even more daft.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2015, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,170
Gold Stars: 233
I think we have to accept that the arguments need to be made FOR the development rather than respond to the arguments AGAINST. Only a relatively small percentage of the population of NE Lincs go to watch Town and I'm sure many of us have raised arguments against local planning applications we don't like ourselves so we should expect people in the locality to rspond in the way they have. What Mr Fenty and the club need to do is to argue positively for the development not turn it into some slanging match which I suspect is what Cllr deFreitas wants.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
GiveUsAG
February 22, 2015, 7:26pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I say good on him.  

There will always be opposition, no matter where the club had chosen to develop a new stadium.

I know many fans don't like Mr Fenty, but I think they should put aside their dislike for Fenty, for the greater good and get behind the plans to relocate before it becomes too late... Again.  

As fans we should always hope and want the best for the club we proudly support. A new stadium would be best for the Mariners' future, so I echo what I said, "Get behind the plans to relocate before it becomes too late."

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
sonik
February 22, 2015, 7:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
I think from reading some comments from the objectors that they have done themselves more harm than good today. Well done John for standing up for the future of GTFC!

utm!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
ackomariner
February 22, 2015, 7:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I think we have to accept that the arguments need to be made FOR the development rather than respond to the arguments AGAINST. Only a relatively small percentage of the population of NE Lincs go to watch Town and I'm sure many of us have raised arguments against local planning applications we don't like ourselves so we should expect people in the locality to rspond in the way they have. What Mr Fenty and the club need to do is to argue positively for the development not turn it into some slanging match which I suspect is what Cllr deFreitas wants.

I get where your coming from OC, but by god she was spouting some cr@p, so hard not to put her right about a few things. Not being abusive or anything like that....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
headingly_mariner
February 22, 2015, 7:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

There is a desperate need for affordable housing in this area and with the flats and surrounding tenements coming down in the next few years the new ground development will go some way towards this.

You can buy wild flower seeds and set an area aside for these and wildlife / nature park.

Is councillor Fenty quite so pro affordable housing in his own ward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
headingly_mariner
February 22, 2015, 7:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good post that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 22, 2015, 7:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Thats a good point to be fair, politics aren't won on reasoning with your biggest critics, they're won on selling your best points to the rest, and if we come up with all the best positives, and talk about them constantly, then soon enough every town fan will be soundbyte ready should they be approached by any media, and thats how we should win out in the end. If we all do our best to fill out comment sections on the  telegraph site and on facebook and wherever, with good positive selling points until they sink in, rather than starting arguments with stupid descenters, we'll look like the better side to undecided onlookers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 8:01pm

Exile
We should be giving the doubters all the good things that will come from this development,

Affordable housing for them or their children,

Sports facilities for them and their children,

Jobs for them or their children,

More shops that are convenient for them,

Think of the positives.

All the things they are bringing up are poppycock.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
BIGChris
February 22, 2015, 8:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Do we KNOW there will be affordable housing included in the plan?

I could see it being built at BP once we leave but somehow I don't think it will be along the Parkway?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
promotion plaice
February 22, 2015, 8:11pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192
To Mr Fenty
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/15md4b7.jpg[/IMG]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 8:34pm

Exile
Quoted from BIGChris
Do we KNOW there will be affordable housing included in the plan?

I could see it being built at BP once we leave but somehow I don't think it will be along the Parkway?

Why not ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
barralad
February 22, 2015, 9:05pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ackomariner

At the end of the day barra, they are trying anything to not get this built. Some woman on facebook last night going on about trying to get out of the junction from the crem onto weelsby rd, I told her that a new junction or roundabout would be built on the parkway itself to get in and out of the stadium. But no, she wasn't having it, so told her if you want to be negative about the plans, please be sure to have all the facts before she makes herself look even more daft.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the eventual plan could easily propose a road structure that alleviates traffic on Weelsby Avenue. It wouldn't take too much to ensure that any road network served the Crem. meaning that there would be no need for mourners/corteges to use Weelsby Avenue. The junction with Weelsby Road has been a nightmare since the Parkway was completed. I keep saying it but there are no actual plans as such yet. NELC are currently trying to identify the feasibility of the site...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
Youngy
February 22, 2015, 9:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
The club had lined up corner flags to show on the field were the pitch would be and a 'protester' walked onto the site and removed the flags, genius.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Marinerz93
February 22, 2015, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Is councillor Fenty quite so pro affordable housing in his own ward?

I thought it was a government regulation that on new builds, there has to be set aside so many for social housing.  A few of the new build sites I have worked on, have built some but I'm not sure how many out of the total plots % wise.  You also have shoreline who will take up so many as other housing associations in Lincolnshire have done the same on new builds.

Some people from the flats have been offered housing in Scunny and elsewhere because there isn't enough places here, that's why so many have been given a considerable amount of our money to move out.  The flats off Freeman street, I've been informed are less than 50% occupied and the surrounding tenements are heading the same way.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
dapperz fun pub
February 22, 2015, 9:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Marinerz93

I thought it was a government regulation that on new builds, there has to be set aside so many for social housing.  A few of the new build sites I have worked on, have built some but I'm not sure how many out of the total plots % wise.  You also have shoreline who will take up so many as other housing associations in Lincolnshire have done the same on new builds.

Some people from the flats have been offered housing in Scunny and elsewhere because there isn't enough places here, that's why so many have been given a considerable amount of our money to move out.  The flats off Freeman street, I've been informed are less than 50% occupied and the surrounding tenements are heading the same way.

My pal works for shoreline and its not the ex coach selling ipads cheap but he says they got 4 k for moving out,some have spent it on the finer things of life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
dapperz fun pub
February 22, 2015, 9:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
Regarding the stadium as much as I think defreitas is a self serving toad he knows how to the play the political game very well how long did he stay in power achieving zilch ,gonna be a long war this and fenty IMO not favourite to win
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
jock dock tower
February 22, 2015, 11:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Did his mam dress him before he went out?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
LH
February 22, 2015, 11:25pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jock dock tower
Did his mam dress him before he went out?

I read this before I saw the picture and realised I've never seen JF wear anything but a suit. I now know that on his days off he dresses like he's in a parody rap crew.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2015, 11:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Fair play to JF for getting out there and facing the elements never mind the hostile natives!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
gtfc98
February 23, 2015, 1:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,065
Gold Stars: 68
These sort of events are always going to attract the people objecting to the proposals rather than those in favour. I can understand their concerns and it's good to see that JF and the club are willing to listen to these and try to address them. What does wind me up though is when people bend the truth to fit their own agenda. According to the lady in the article Asda, Tesco, Sainabury's and Aldi are all losing money in Grimsby so we don't need another supermarket!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
chaos33
February 23, 2015, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Narrow minds. The biggest threat and inhibitor to growth and evolution in Grimsby.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 6:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

My pal works for shoreline and its not the ex coach selling ipads cheap but he says they got 4 k for moving out,some have spent it on the finer things of life

I did hear that figure and was a bit shocked when I first heard it. I asked where some of them had gone and the fella said 'oh just few streets away.'  I said what about the money and he said 'the type of people who snapped up the offer to move out would have spent it just as quick.'

I was also told that Nelson House would be the last flats to be knocked down.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
WetFlannel
February 23, 2015, 6:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Nice to see people like May ensuring that future generations will live in a town almost identical to the one she lived in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
acko338
February 23, 2015, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Nelson House is the first to go down, apparently - half empty already, and no tenancies being reviewed - I did the fire assessment for the building just before Xmas !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Nelson House is the first to go down, apparently - half empty already, and no tenancies being reviewed - I did the fire assessment for the building just before Xmas !

I was only working there last week and it will be last one to come down due to the age of the occupants and 'security side of that area'

They are all less than half empty.

Who knows for real, they change their mind like the wind  

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
BS baffles brains
February 23, 2015, 7:05pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
I've heard a few on here speak about affordable housing, the current rules are any development of over 10 units, 20% has to be social housing. Therefore the proposed 1600 units required for the peakes development, would be 320 affordable, or social housing. In some cases these are not necessarily built on the site in question, for example if you have a site in an expensive part of town, it is possible to offset your social housing on a site in a less expensive part of town.  JF did say on Humberside Radio, on Friday that if the ground was led by housing, not all the housing would be at PP, and that the club was speaking to land owners in other parts of the county.  How this all works need some explanation, because any site with planning, would not be interested; But lets be honest, agricultural land at 10k an acre is worth a £million plus with planning, my question is who gets what? .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
barralad
February 23, 2015, 7:27pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from BS baffles brains
I've heard a few on here speak about affordable housing, the current rules are any development of over 10 units, 20% has to be social housing. Therefore the proposed 1600 units required for the peakes development, would be 320 affordable, or social housing. In some cases these are not necessarily built on the site in question, for example if you have a site in an expensive part of town, it is possible to offset your social housing on a site in a less expensive part of town.  JF did say on Humberside Radio, on Friday that if the ground was led by housing, not all the housing would be at PP, and that the club was speaking to land owners in other parts of the county.  How this all works need some explanation, because any site with planning, would not be interested; But lets be honest, agricultural land at 10k an acre is worth a £million plus with planning, my question is who gets what? .

Good thread this! We have some very knowledgeable people on here...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
ginnywings
February 23, 2015, 8:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BS baffles brains

This is where the Council can dictate the direction. If they give currently worthless land the nod for development, then the developers will be falling over themselves to get on board and the Council can dictate what and where they build, as long as they give them enough scope for a healthy profit. The price of houses in GY is relatively low on a national scale, so even if they were required to build 20% low cost affordable housing on the same development as more luxurious dwellings, then everyone can get what they want. If you could also get a big retailer or two on board, then even better. Companies such as Aldi are throwing up supermarkets as fast as possible at the moment. I really think this can work and tick a lot of boxes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
ackomariner
February 23, 2015, 8:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Id look at a nice 4 bedroomed detached on there  

Got to park the subaru somewhere

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
BS baffles brains
February 23, 2015, 9:21pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
What could make this scheme, find its way into the local plan, will be the quantity of land, a hard up council, would have left, to sell on for development, if the council land is lost to infrastructure, the community stadium and parking, and additional playing pitches, then the council cabinet will simply ask what's in it for them. Lets be realistic lads, if all the renewable energy predictions, do come to fruition, then an estimated 8, to 10,000 jobs will be created, and a few thousand people will move into the area , the new proposed local plan, envisages 9,000 new homes by 2030. We could need some housing very quickly, Has usual, this is all going to be about, who get what. Lets hope Able uk. can finally give this area the kick start, we've needed for the past forty years , and what's another 1600 homes on the local plan, this is not going to happen overnight, and in twelve months the local economy might be improving fast, the first fight for JF, is to get the PP site included in the local plan, because without that, PP will never happen. We might finally see the local population start to rise, instead of declining. UTM, I can feel it in my water, Promotion this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty defends plan against "vociferous"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.