3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
February 17, 2015, 3:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 123

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
February 17, 2015, 3:25pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Magnay seems spot on with his assertions in every interview he gives. Shame Hurst doesn't pay more attention to what he's saying.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 17, 2015, 4:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
He certainly talks the talk, he's positive and I have to agree with him. Would he say the same things if he was a manager? I don't know. There seems to be a downbeat 'don't commit yourself' script for managers' interviews. Maybe it is part of their contract.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
oldun
February 17, 2015, 4:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
What managers say in public and what they say in private are probably much different. I wonder what Magnay's team mates think of his opinions. He was certainly having a go at one or two on Sat. Can't disagree with what he is quoted as saying though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
RichMariner
February 17, 2015, 4:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I made the point on my blog the other day - Magnay was the only Town player I saw trying to motivate the rest of the team after we conceded on Saturday.

He definitely seems captain material. He's honest and motivated - I'd play for him.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Maringer
February 17, 2015, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
Not read the links (limited by cranky Internet connection in pub in York!), but I'd certainly agree that we could do with a different captain. For all his assets (which are decent for this level), Disley has never been a 'leader of men'. Magnay is a great player, communicates well and seems just the sort you need as a club captain.

Hope he gets the chance to be one next season (providing Disley isn't still at the club)!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
louth_in_the_south
February 17, 2015, 4:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Neither of them said anything other than the usual cliches that get wheeled out in every interview with a player or manager IMO . Basically it's the reason why I can never be arsed to listen to them

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Caesar
February 17, 2015, 5:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Thanks for sharing these, was so annoyed with Hurst's comments on Saturday, everytime Carl says anything he is the opposite of Hurst, positive and encouraging to Town fans.

I get managers want to protect their players and critcisng them week in week out would not be very productive, but occassionaly you have to, yet Hurst never ever admits we haven't been very good, the nearerst he has ever got is saying "we haven't played at the level we can play" before blaming the ref, at times I would of thought he would be yakking on about a conspiracy against us like Jose does in the PL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2015, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Maybe 'Carl Magnay's Black & White Army' has a better ring to it?  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Garth
February 17, 2015, 6:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Hurst has to answer to JF and the board for results on the field, the players only have to answer to their manager, one is to keep his job and the other is just opinionated, talks a lot of sense though,

Future Player Manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Magnay v Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.