Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 272 Guests

What is Hurst smoking?

This thread currently has 16,772 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2015, 11:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but if we give Hurst just a little more time, he will get it right.

Indeed. Another 3 seasons and we'll be pushing second, which will be an excellent platform for the following season because by then England will have run out of millionaires prepared to back villages and small towns, so we should get promoted around 2019.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 122
ackomariner
February 16, 2015, 8:16am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Hilarious that some seem to be back onto the 'Lenny isn't good enough' shtick once again.

We're in fourth place in the table, he's 5th in the scoring charts. Pretty reasonable when you consider he's been leading the line with little support for much of the season. Didn't play well yesterday, but then he was pretty much up front on his own most of the time as Jolley was in such poor form. Could do with LJL getting back in the groove for scoring, however, especially as the other attackers aren't netting nearly enough and it could be very important for us for Jolley to find some confidence and form.

A bit worried that Palmer's problem is said to be a hamstring tweak - they can be very difficult to resolve quickly and, on current form, we need him available.

I'm not back onto the " Lenny isn't good enough bus" again.........I've always stated that he's not good enough

Hurst won't drop him because he's backed him to the hilt over the last two years, and built this team around him. As I've stated loads of times before on here, as long as hurst keeps him as the number one striker were going nowhere

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 122
jonnyboy82
February 16, 2015, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Johnny's back passage is looking safe again though isn't it?

Did any of you really think my anus was in doubt ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 122
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from ackomariner

I'm not back onto the " Lenny isn't good enough bus" again.........I've always stated that he's not good enough

Hurst won't drop him because he's backed him to the hilt over the last two years, and built this team around him. As I've stated loads of times before on here, as long as hurst keeps him as the number one striker were going nowhere

He's scored 13 goals so far this season, a total bettered by 4 players.

In comparison, Parkin (obviously a more capable player), has been on a great scoring run over the past month or two and is now up to 16 goals though he's also made half a dozen more appearances.

Don't forget that LJL is leading the line, often with little support. On Saturday, I'd say Blissett showed he was a good target man and certainly did a better job in this role than Lenny. On the other hand, he's only scored 9 goals this season from a similar number of appearances.

Our problem isn't LJL. It's the fact that all our other strikers combined have scored less goals than LJL alone!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 122
Jarmo.Is.God
February 16, 2015, 10:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
whilst people calling for PH to go is valid IMO, i assume you all mean after this season ?

get a new guy in before end of the season won't help IMO.

but should we not go up, i agree, its time to let him go.

whilst he has continuously got us in the play-off picture which shows he is a good manager, he hasn't got us that step further which is automatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 122
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 16, 2015, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

He's scored 13 goals so far this season, a total bettered by 4 players.

In comparison, Parkin (obviously a more capable player), has been on a great scoring run over the past month or two and is now up to 16 goals though he's also made half a dozen more appearances.

Don't forget that LJL is leading the line, often with little support. On Saturday, I'd say Blissett showed he was a good target man and certainly did a better job in this role than Lenny. On the other hand, he's only scored 9 goals this season from a similar number of appearances.

Our problem isn't LJL. It's the fact that all our other strikers combined have scored less goals than LJL alone!

I agree totally, LJL is an excellent worker but he is not a main goalscorer and never will be. I'm not convinced playing him with Palmer will work well either in the long run because Palmer is not a goal scrounger either. He might provide LJL with more space to run about but overall this pairing is unlikely to solve the goalscoring issue on its own. Jolley is a winger and needs the ball in front of him. As a supplementary goalscorer he could be handy but will he be here long enough to rediscover his old Newport form?

It all comes back to that failure to sign a proven goalscorer at the start of the season and/or a failure to get the best out of the one proven goalscorer he has - Hannah. It isn't simply that Hannah hasn't had enough games either.

People do have different views on Hannah but, given the right team set up, he is surely likely to be a 20 a season man. It always seemed very foolish management to me that Hurst, having failed to sign a striker, did not shape the side to get the best from his existing assets early in the season. Instead he wasted Hannah's time on the bench. But it is far too late for change now and to be honest, the way things are, I can't see how this side will ever score enough goals to get anywhere near promotion.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 122
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm not sure about Jolley, because the Newport fans were adamant that he is a striker, not a winger. He certainly 'looks' more like a winger to me, but it's a strange one as to how he should be played if he has done his best work up front. Regardless, we need him to find some form because he looked badly lacking in confidence to me at the weekend. Must be tough for some players to settle in quickly at a new team mid-way through the season, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Hannah is simply playing above his level. His initial purple patch during the loan spell was good, but he's never looked like recreating this form since then. He's a willing worker but lacks any real pace, strength or skill and he gets caught offside way, way too often. Of more worry is the number of decent chances he misses. That effort at the death on Saturday had to hit the target but it was loosely flipped well over the bar, his attempts to score the one-on-one against FGR which could have led to a win were just rubbish and I can think of several other similar chances he's missed this season. He missed two absolute sitters against Torquay in the home defeat this season, for example. Sorry, not good enough for me, even if you were to try and build a team around him. I expect he'll leave at the end of the season and find a club in the Conference North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 122
diehardmariner
February 16, 2015, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Maringer

No.  Our problem is the bloke stood with his arms folded on the side of the pitch.

Even minus the much spoken about Thomas and Neilson this squad is good enough, more than good enough, to go up.  The biggest hindrance is the tactics, or lack of them.

We've not progressed at all under Hurst in the last two years.  Any notion that he will take us up via the play-offs is completely deluded.  He has been constantly out thought by any remotely competent manager since he's been here.    His sole tactic of soaking up pressure and picking teams off with single goal wins is fine, but we've not got the players to do it.  At the back we're ok, over reliant on Magnay and Pearson a bit too much for my liking but otherwise we're far too inconsistent.  We're not quick enough on the break, we depend on goals from a guy who is prone to purple patches.  We don't have enough energy where it matters.  Just simply not suited to that tactic.  

From back to front it's clear, to me anyway, that we have a wealth of players who are desperate for the shackles to be taken off and actually have a proper go at teams.

Worst thing for me is not the defeats, the boring style of football, the fact we seem devoid of any excitement but that there's an ever creeping sense of apathy.  Saturday's performance was so sub-standard it should have been an embarrassment, there should have been at least some outrage at it - yet another chance to make up ground on the top sides wasted.  Instead it was a collective shrug of the shoulders.  

We're at the cross-roads Luton were at two years ago.  Stick with the status quo and be there or there abouts for the play-offs or be bold, accept that the last four years have been absolutely pointless and make a brave decision.

Worst case scenario, we make a change and it backfires and we finish 6th.    That's the worst we can hope for.   Stick as we are and we'll more than likely fall at the semi-final stage of the play-offs.....just as the last two seasons.

In the highly unlikely event, I'm talking bloody lottery winning chances of happening, we fluke our way through the play-offs and we go up - does anyone actually believe Hurst would be capable of doing anything in the league?
Poster earlier on this thread got slated for saying he didn't want to go up with Hurst in charge, I can't say I disagree with him.  Of course the priority is just to get out of this league, however I've no confidence he would do anything than lead us straight back down.  
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 122
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 16, 2015, 12:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not sure about Jolley, because the Newport fans were adamant that he is a striker, not a winger. He certainly 'looks' more like a winger to me, but it's a strange one as to how he should be played if he has done his best work up front. Regardless, we need him to find some form because he looked badly lacking in confidence to me at the weekend. Must be tough for some players to settle in quickly at a new team mid-way through the season, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Hannah is simply playing above his level. His initial purple patch during the loan spell was good, but he's never looked like recreating this form since then. He's a willing worker but lacks any real pace, strength or skill and he gets caught offside way, way too often. Of more worry is the number of decent chances he misses. That effort at the death on Saturday had to hit the target but it was loosely flipped well over the bar, his attempts to score the one-on-one against FGR which could have led to a win were just rubbish and I can think of several other similar chances he's missed this season. He missed two absolute sitters against Torquay in the home defeat this season, for example. Sorry, not good enough for me, even if you were to try and build a team around him. I expect he'll leave at the end of the season and find a club in the Conference North.

You may well be right about both players but my point is that the side simply isn't set up to get the best out of what the manager has available. If Jolley is a striker then he certainly doesn't want to be playing with his back to goal or trying to out jump man mountain defenders. Again, maybe he needs a different set up and play in front three or something like that. He could prove to be another Stuart Brace if played in that role.

Hannah's finishing is a different issue I suppose. Strikes me he might be trying too hard to make the most of the minutes he's been allowed on the pitch and he knows the manager does not have much faith in him. Just guessing there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 122
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
(Edit: replying to DHM)

The main point where we differ is that I don't think the squad is particularly good and I don't think a new manager would be able to make much of a difference. It is probably marginally better than last season's squad and that was marginally better than the one the season before, but the general standard of the central midfielders just isn't good enough for a title-winning team and we have no depth in the forwards. For me, the idea that Hurst's managerial problems are down to a lack of tactical nouse ignores the fact that the problems lie within the abilities of the players themselves. When players don't put in a good enough performance to win a game, there's a pretty good chance that this is because they simply aren't good enough and not due to the way the team is set up.

Hurst's failure to sign enough strikers at the beginning of the season has cost us points and this is an error that I have continued to criticise. Just think where we might be had we signed somebody such as Palmer at the start of the season? Having a couple of strikers on 10+ goals would have made a big difference. Unfortunately, as feared, Pittman has been in and out due to his recurring injuries so he's only played in around half of our games this season. This means we've been basically left with just Hannah who isn't in any sort of decent form to try and back up LJL.

In midfield, Disley was dropped early in the season but after returning to the team has proven to be our most consistent central midfielder. Despite this, you wouldn't describe him as the most dynamic player you've ever seen, would you? Brown has been the biggest disappointment to me. Looked really sharp at the start of the season but has since been in and out with some injuries since then and hasn't really performed well for months that I can remember. Clay has put in the odd decent performance here and there but has also not looked right following various niggling injuries. Pell did OK for a couple of games on loan before dropping right off and, of course, McLaughlin has never been in favour so has only been a bit part player (amazed he didn't leave in the summer, to tell the truth). I reckon that the 33 year-old Disley is probably the quickest of our central midfielders and, in this division, that just isn't good enough.

To summarise, I think our strike force as a whole is weak and our central midfielders aren't good enough. One of the key points on Saturday (as so often) is that we lose the midfield battle. Our central midfielders don't have any real pace or strength between them and they aren't skilful enough to pass it around the opposition. This, and the lack of goals from the forwards, is why we are likely to fail to win promotion.

It's Hurst's team so he can be blamed for these weaknesses in the squad (though I don't know how likely it would be that a new manager would do much better with the budget available next season), but I just don't think a new manager would be able to make any real difference with the players available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.