Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 212 Guests

What is Hurst smoking?

This thread currently has 16,773 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
February 15, 2015, 9:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from barralad

And if we manage to beat Barnet and Telford the talk will revert to-"we can still do it"-until the next defeat and so it will go on.
For the record I didn't name you (or anyone else for that matter). You have been consistent throughout-but the evidence is there if you care to look back at the threads. It might be human nature but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds such mood swings bizarre...

Would it not be more apt to say that you find the the swings in performances bizarre.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 122
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2015, 9:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
23rd February 2011 was the date Neil Woods was sacked with us in 9th position.
I quote the Grimsby Town statement issued at the time: "It is important the club makes a timely appointment to keep alive their play-off aspirations"

I wonder what the actual scenario will play out over the next two games... Makes you wonder.

We've achieved a lot in those 4 years*. We've finished a whole five places above that two seasons running and may do so another time.

* Four years. Has it really been four years!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 122
ginnywings
February 15, 2015, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We've achieved a lot in those 4 years*. We've finished a whole five places above that two seasons running and may do so another time.

* Four years. Has it really been four years!

Yeah, but if we give Hurst just a little more time, he will get it right.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 122
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Hilarious that some seem to be back onto the 'Lenny isn't good enough' shtick once again.

We're in fourth place in the table, he's 5th in the scoring charts. Pretty reasonable when you consider he's been leading the line with little support for much of the season. Didn't play well yesterday, but then he was pretty much up front on his own most of the time as Jolley was in such poor form. Could do with LJL getting back in the groove for scoring, however, especially as the other attackers aren't netting nearly enough and it could be very important for us for Jolley to find some confidence and form.

A bit worried that Palmer's problem is said to be a hamstring tweak - they can be very difficult to resolve quickly and, on current form, we need him available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 122
friskneymariner
February 15, 2015, 10:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Its not about him personally its about P.H.'s one dimensional approach.We must me an opposing managers dream ,he only has to give one instruction,i.e double up on L.J.L. and hit them on the break.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 122
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
But the thing is, we really aren't all that one-dimensional in our style of play. Now, I'm not talking here about having a selection of different formations we can choose to play effectively depending on the game (we have a few variations, all of which seem to be about as effective as any of the others).

We do certainly hit it long towards LJL a fair amount, but we do try and play it along the wings and through midfield as well. Unfortunately, I think our relatively weak central midfield and the often indifferent form of our wingers leads us to end up launching it towards Lennie too often.

One thing I thought I noticed yesterday was that Rovers seemed to stand off Toto when he had the ball at his feet - almost as if they knew there was a good chance he would just end up passing the ball straight to them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 122
Teestogreen
February 15, 2015, 10:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Mr Hurst is embarking on a final poor run (having swapped certain personnel for similar replacements), which, if no Grimsby player can produce a goal, will be fatal to the club's alleged ambition of getting back in to the Football League. More own goals gratefully received!
PS - The League Table suggest Town can still be promoted.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 122
friskneymariner
February 15, 2015, 10:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Have we got a winger who can consistently run at players with ball and beat them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 122
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Unfortunately not, at the moment. Luckily very few teams have such a player either. Can't remember the last time that any of our defenders got a real roasting by a winger though it stands to reason they will lose out on the odd challenge from time to time.

As for our bunch, Mackreth and Arnold each got some decent crosses in yesterday (including a couple of good ones on the byline from Mackreth) so they did a reasonable job at times. Not quite as much as we might have hoped, but there you go, that was just matching the general tone of the whole performance.

Everyone hopes for a winger who is going to skin the opposition defence week-in, week-out, but you don't seem to get many of them and I've not been overly impressed with most of the ones I've seen play us at BP this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 122
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2015, 11:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Hilarious that some seem to be back onto the 'Lenny isn't good enough' shtick once again.

We're in fourth place in the table, he's 5th in the scoring charts. Pretty reasonable when you consider he's been leading the line with little support for much of the season. Didn't play well yesterday, but then he was pretty much up front on his own most of the time as Jolley was in such poor form. Could do with LJL getting back in the groove for scoring, however, especially as the other attackers aren't netting nearly enough and it could be very important for us for Jolley to find some confidence and form.

A bit worried that Palmer's problem is said to be a hamstring tweak - they can be very difficult to resolve quickly and, on current form, we need him available.

Johnny's back passage is looking safe again though isn't it?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.