Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

What is Hurst smoking?

This thread currently has 16,829 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 15, 2015, 9:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Note to Hurst:

Jolly is not a holding up forward man like Palmer.  He is a player that needs the ball PLAYED IN FRONT OF HIM NOT TO FEET OR IN THE AIR How frustrating was it watching him getting beaten time and time again in the air it is clearly not is type of game. Play to his strengths FFS Get him out wider running at the derence and use someone bigger in height and bulk to win the ball up front. No wonder our defence was the busier it kept fecking coming back they had no rest. Everybody else could see this FFS.

You would think that if a manager was forced to play someone up front because of injuries, he would change the shape of the team to account for the lad not being 6ft 13in tall wouldn't you? But no, he slots the lad in as direct replacement for a giant and the team play in exactly the same way. Some will say this is down to the players on the field but I doubt it and even if it was, why does the manager take 80 minutes to do something about it? To be honest I think he had settled for 0-0 before the game.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 122
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 10:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
The idea of getting rid of your manager at this point of the season remains bonkers. No more to say about that.

As I said in the other thread, I've got no angst about the result yesterday. They were simply better than us on the day and we just didn't play nearly well enough in attack against the strongest defence in the division. Of similar importance was that our midfield was much weaker than theirs. Clay didn't look properly fit to me and should have been replaced by McLaughlin a lot sooner. Unfortunately, the central midfield remains a problem for us as we just don't have enough strength or pace in there and we're often outfought in the middle of the park. Whoever is in charge next season really needs to sort this out as pretty much every one of the promoted teams I can think of had athletic and powerful midfielders who helped them run the game (York being the exception as they relied on pace and skill in the middle). If you're going to set up to play defensively as we do, we need a stronger midfield than we've got, simple as that.

Personally, I didn't think the two wingers were too bad today. Both worked hard and got some dangerous crosses in/won plenty of corners. The issue was more a lack of anything coming from the forwards.

Defensively, we were generally OK yesterday but were a little unlucky to concede that deflected goal. The problem remains that we're just not quite good enough throughout the squad - could have got a draw yesterday but didn't, could have scored the winner at FGR last week but didn't and instead conceded to lose. I doubt any new manager would make a huge difference with this squad of players.

We'll have to just continue to hope that we'll win ourselves a play-off spot then manage to put a few good performances together but this remains a hope more than an expectation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 122
Garth
February 15, 2015, 11:40am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quote`s from Maringer

The idea of getting rid of your manager at this point of the season remains bonkers. No more to say about that.
We'll have to just continue to hope that we'll win ourselves a play-off spot then manage to put a few good performances together but this remains a hope more than an expectation.

My View
Hurst IMO is not what Grimsby supporters require in a manager, too dour,lacks invention tactical nouse and above all seemingly without passion,  to say that yesterdays debacle was a plus was just insulting, would I change it at this stage of the season,  because I don`t think we will progress to the league this season Yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 122
Caesar
February 15, 2015, 12:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Garth
Quote`s from Maringer

My View
Hurst IMO is not what Grimsby supporters require in a manager, too dour,lacks invention tactical nouse and above all seemingly without passion,  to say that yesterdays debacle was a plus was just insulting, would I change it at this stage of the season,  because I don`t think we will progress to the league this season Yes

I have to agree with you about Hurst, but I do not think changing a manger will give us any chance of promotion this season, sticking with Hurst will at least give us a chance.  If we wanted to change manager this season it needed to be earlier.  That didn't happen so now our best chance of promotion IMO is sticking with Hurst.  That said quotes like we heard after yesterdays game are what convinces me that we will need to make the managerial change in the summer as I think the chance that Hurst will get us up is quite small when he thinks losing to a rival can ever be described as a positive because it is "a tough game out of the way"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 122
cmackenzie4
February 15, 2015, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
The question is if a new manager did come in now and we missed out on the play-offs then what? I am not being critical in any way but it is a massive gamble at this stage of the season imo.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 122
Nelly GTFC
February 15, 2015, 12:40pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
If we get into the play-offs, then fail again, then what? Keep Hurst another season, or bring someone else in who hasn't had chance to even see what players are worth keeping, and who to let go?

At least if you bring someone in now, they have a chance to weigh up the actual squad and still have chance of making the play-offs.  Preferably someone who knows how to get out this league, not the leagues below, as it's worked for many teams who have got promoted.

I said as soon as last season finished get Micky Mellon ASAP, kept Hurst and now Shrewsbury Town are at the top of League 2, he's done all his transfers on freebies as well, not like he did at Conference level before someone mentions that i.e. Vardy 100K etc, what a bargain that turned out to be...

Hurst seems to be able to bring in good players, he just doesn't utilize them to their full potential because his tactics are all negative.

I would love to know what the hell John Fenty actually thinks watching from the Upper Smiths, because if he's watching from the same stand as everyone else, surely he thinks what the majority of everyone else is thinking?

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 122
pontoonlew
February 15, 2015, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Thankfully I can't go for the rest of the season, because if I was one of the poor souls who shelved out £18 to see us lose and the man in charge of motivating the players saw it as a 'positive' I'd be absolutely enraged.

There's absolutely no excuse to treat the fans like such idiots with such a ridiculous comment. The sad thing is, some of the fans standing by the bloke all last week seem to have picked up the negative vibes he gives. People are constantly looking for positives in the fact we've lost 4 games in 6 now. It's nowhere near good enough, a new guy now could be a huge lift or a huge mistake. However you could argue that a huge mistake will only give the same result as if Hurst remained in charge. He's accustomed to failure at this club and he seems to think that, that's somehow acceptable. If we'd gone down in the play offs and got close the last 2 seasons id be willing to give him a chance, but we've been weak as urine both times and I've seen nothing to see that changing this year.

0% of him going mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 122
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2015, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
He won't go - Fenty hasn't got the balls to change it now. Get the prayer mat out and hope we get lucky - see you all at Barnet!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 122
itsnotcoditshaddock
February 15, 2015, 2:18pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
If Hurst went then it'd only be Doig and Moore taking charge till the end of the season. We should make the playoffs, the team is good enough. Anything can happen then. Knowing us we'll probably win at Barnet next week and all will be rosy again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 122
arryarryarry
February 15, 2015, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
If we get into the play-offs, then fail again, then what? Keep Hurst another season, or bring someone else in who hasn't had chance to even see what players are worth keeping, and who to let go?

At least if you bring someone in now, they have a chance to way up the actual squad and still have chance of making the play-offs.  Preferably someone who knows how to get out this league, not the leagues below, as it's worked for many teams who have got promoted.

I said as soon as last season finished get Micky Mellon ASAP, kept Hurst and now Shrewsbury Town are at the top of League 2, he's done all his transfers on freebies as well, not like he did at Conference level before someone mentions that i.e. Vardy 100K etc, what a bargain that turned out to be...

Hurst seems to be able to bring in good players, he just doesn't utilize them to their full potential because his tactics are all negative.

I would love to know what the hell John Fenty actually thinks watching from the Upper Smiths, because if he's watching from the same stand as everyone else, surely he thinks what the majority of everyone else is thinking?

He's also brought in some poor ones as well.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.