5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
February 13, 2015, 6:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I'm glad that Dayle has had some success away from Town. Tough times meant we couldn't hold on to him and give him time to develop.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Nelly GTFC
February 13, 2015, 9:28pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
I was just taking notice of that Michael Doughty of QPR, he's 22 and made his first Premiership start on Tuesday for them.

Before that he went out on loan in League 2 with Crawley for a season, 6 games in the SPL with St Johnstone, a full season in League 1 with Stevenage, and this season 13 games with Gillingham in League 1.

Now with injuries in the QPR team, he looks set to be blooded into Premiership games by the new manager, who brought him through the youth ranks.

Anyway what I'm trying to say in comparison to the bigger picture, was it a mistake to just let him Dayle Southwell go, looking at the above, maybe it's best to loan out a young player for a few seasons in leagues below, so they gain the experience, then make the step up?

If they're still under contract and banged in 25+ goals they come back a better player and chances are we could make some decent cash when big clubs make a move for these players, win win situation.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
diehardmariner
February 14, 2015, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

First year pros earn around 175 a week

At League One level?

I did say it was rough workings, not a detailed business case.

The figures weren't important.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
Neilo83
February 14, 2015, 10:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +261
Gold Stars: 4
Found his level maybe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Maringer
February 14, 2015, 10:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think going out to Boston will undoubtedly have proved better for Southwell than staying here. If he had stayed, he would have been 4th choice striker at best and he would be unlikely to develop too much with just limited appearances here and there.

I tend to doubt that any sort of season-long loan would have been an option, so a move was probably the only choice. Hopefully he'll do well in the long run as he always seemed a willing worker to me, but his good form in the Conference North doesn't necessarily indicate he'll ever make a prolific striker at Conference Premier or Football League level. It's the difference between playing against full-time pros most weeks and playing against part-timers most of the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 14, 2015, 11:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
I think going out to Boston will undoubtedly have proved better for Southwell than staying here. If he had stayed, he would have been 4th choice striker at best and he would be unlikely to develop too much with just limited appearances here and there.

I tend to doubt that any sort of season-long loan would have been an option, so a move was probably the only choice. Hopefully he'll do well in the long run as he always seemed a willing worker to me, but his good form in the Conference North doesn't necessarily indicate he'll ever make a prolific striker at Conference Premier or Football League level. It's the difference between playing against full-time pros most weeks and playing against part-timers most of the time.

I think that is the key, especially for a striker. He needed games and while there is no regular reserve team at Grimsby the squad players simply don't get them and it shows when the likes of Southwell and Hannah come on for a first team cameo and don't look sharp.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
bostonian
February 14, 2015, 12:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Last season we had Liam Agnew a Sunderland development squad player on loan , last Saturday he was on the bench for the PL team .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.