Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from diehardmariner
Back of a ciggy packet workings here:

First year professional contract: £300
Rough workings of 25% employer contributions.

Cost of a one-year contract for a first year pro - £19,500.  Two lads on that contract = £39,000 a year.

72 clubs (League One, League Two, Conference) each with two lads on a first year contract = £2,808,000.  Just shy of 3 million for an additional 144 lads getting an additional year to develop.

As of 2016/17 the team that finishes bottom of the Premier League will get £99million.  They could get no points, score no goals, might not even win a bloody corner and they get £99million in prize money!

The cost of 144 young professionals at League One, Two and Conference levels is 2.84% of the prize money for said side that finished bottom of the Premier League.

First year pros earn around 175 a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2015, 2:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

I am beginning to think that maybe that would be the best thing all-round.

The football league regain its former glory whilst the Premiership disappears into the sunset. Winners of the Football League become the champions of England and the FA  Cup is for non Premiership teams. Who qualifies for European competitions? Ideally the FL champions and the Prem continues to be  'an independent commercial activity'

The chances are that the Prem clubs would become franchises. If the Prem does go down that route then no Prem club can be in Europe because they would not have FA membership. As a temporary action it could work for the Prem but only in the way the Packer tours did for cricket, the US soccer league of the 70s and the professional tournaments for tennis in the 60s. Eventually the supply of players runs out as they cannot be internationals anymore as they play for non-affiliated clubs. The support dwindles because the number of competing clubs and competitions is finite and relatively small.

I would like to see it happen too Chris but I can't see how the obstacles could be overcome from the Prem's point of view. It could only happen from the other direction if the FA chucked them out and I can't see the FA doing that just now. Eventually the FA might get fed up and threaten it and so force the Prem to cough up some grassroots cash but that doesn't help the Football League which is a separate organisation altogether (and it doesn't help Dayle Southwell )

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
jonnyboy82
February 13, 2015, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Dayle southwell > Hamish watson.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Maringer
February 13, 2015, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Dayle southwell > Hamish watson.

How could you possibly be certain? We've only seen Watson play about 30 minutes of football!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
jonnyboy82
February 13, 2015, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer

How could you possibly be certain? We've only seen Watson play about 30 minutes of football!  

Which in theory should say it all.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
cardiffmariner
February 13, 2015, 4:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,314
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from jimgtfc
He did enough in his last season to warrant a deal in my opinion. We were struggling for a striker in the summer and signed Pittman, is he any better? Is Hannah? Just asking...

Blinking heck, yes. If you are comparing a fully fit Pittman (injury is the reason he is in our league rather than ability) with a fit Southwell then there is absolutely no comparison in my mind.

Personally, I was never convinced by what I saw of Southwell - not strong enough to hold it up or fend off defenders so lost the ball easily, no particular turn of pace and questionable finishing at our level.  Clearly doing well now and may return to the conference but I'd be surprised to see him go higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
TownSNAFU5
February 13, 2015, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
The Premiership riches are earned on merit, otherwise they would not get the money. They should pass some of the money to re-invest further down the football pyramid. If only for their own selfish and business interests.

If they do not, then ultimately all the supporting structures will go bust or just slowly wilt away.  You cannot have a Premiership when that is all there is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
oldun
February 13, 2015, 4:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
There were not too many crying out for him to be retained when he was released. Easy with hindsight isn't it. A genuine lad though with a good work ethic. Pleased he is doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 13, 2015, 4:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Blinking heck, yes. If you are comparing a fully fit Pittman (injury is the reason he is in our league rather than ability) with a fit Southwell then there is absolutely no comparison in my mind.

Personally, I was never convinced by what I saw of Southwell - not strong enough to hold it up or fend off defenders so lost the ball easily, no particular turn of pace and questionable finishing at our level.  Clearly doing well now and may return to the conference but I'd be surprised to see him go higher.

True enough though players can make a good name and living in the lower leagues without massive pace. Look at Tubbs for instance. He has no attributes that enthuse me when I see him but he's made a bomb on transfers. If Southwell has become a decent finisher there is hope for him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Garth
February 13, 2015, 5:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from oldun
There were not too many crying out for him to be retained when he was released. Easy with hindsight isn't it. A genuine lad though with a good work ethic. Pleased he is doing well.

Well I thought he had beefed up a little, and I was disappointed we never kept him on loan to Boston, another mistake IMO, still onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.